1. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '09 10:111 edit
    Dear gentle reader, there was a person who put forth the proposition that metal was alive and well! it was dead i retorted, metal was dead! it had died when Dianno was kicked from Maiden and Dickinson turned them into an operatic outfit.

what had happened? where was Saxon, where was Motorhead? killed by pansies from America, Motley Cru and Cinderella. but Guns and roses saved metal, some said, i had to conceal my inward sniggering, Guns and Rosies were never metal i thought, just a bunch of poofs from California who wanted to be Led Zepplin, look at me, im Jimi page, i got a top hat like Allister Crowley! if they were metal, then they must have been light metal or plastic metal or bendy metal. no the Americans had never produced a true metal band, they were all mere imitations of the real thing, Metalica included, just more pansies.

I looked north, there was black metal, little boys from Norway who were into burning churches for real, but looked so innocent, like they'd just been allowed to stay out to 11 oclock at night, pathetic really. one of them even killed someone, do they really know what they were doing i thought, i doubt it, they should be at home watching scooby doo instead.

I turned to thrash metal, Anthrax looked promising, but it was a formula, a one dimensional outlook, masked under all the amphetamines and hair was a non entity, no art, nothing but a void and a communal delusion, it was, as i had feared, truly dead.

someone let me listen to Rammstein, you'll like them, Goths i thought, flippin Goths masquerading as metal, yes dear friends, let us take a moment to reflect appreciatively on what was but a brief sojourn in this stormy world, the rise and fall of true metal, will its likes ever be seen again and distinguishable from these inferior mutations, who can tell?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 May '09 11:16
    Motorhead's still around.

I've been enjoying Guapo and Aethenor. I'd be interested to hear your uh appraisal of them.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '09 11:51
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage

I've been enjoying Guapo and Aethenor. I'd be interested to hear your uh appraisal of them.
    the latter i found were incredibly interesting, the track that i heard on youtube was reminiscent of the minimalist concept, perhaps embodied in the work of Philip Glass and Steve Reich, in that the ambiance of the music, the overtones that are created from the sound, are as equally important as the actual notes used to produce them, and that every moment in the piece is as important as that which comes before or after. it is a conceptual approach, like cubism in art, whence, although the idea was inspired, whether it produced 'good art', is a question for the initiated. but yes, most refreshing!
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 May '09 12:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the latter i found were incredibly interesting, the track that i heard on youtube was reminiscent of the minimalist concept, perhaps embodied in the work of Philip Glass and Steve Reich, in that the ambiance of the music, the overtones that are created from the sound, are as equally important as the actual notes used to produce them, and that every m ...[text shortened]... d, whether it produced 'good art', is a question for the initiated. but yes, most refreshing!
    Glad you liked it.

David Tibet, vocalist on Aethenor's latest album, has also worked with Skitliv; you might like them too, although they're Norwegian ...
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 May '09 13:07
    Metal is (thank heaven) dead.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    14 May '09 15:36
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage

Those are some good bands. Not really metal though.

Anyways, here are some good metal releases from this decade:

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
    Orphaned Land - Mabool
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Isis - Oceanic
    Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
    Agalloch - The Mantle
    Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
    Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
    Therion - Secret of the Runes
    Hollenthon - With Vilest of Worms to Dwell
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '09 16:191 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Those are some good bands. Not really metal though.

Anyways, here are some good metal releases from this decade:

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
    Orphaned Land - Mabool
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Isis - Oceanic
    Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
    Agalloch - The Mantle
    Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
    Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
    Therion - Secret of the Runes
    Hollenthon - With Vilest of Worms to Dwell
    dude these are not really, dare i say it, heavy enough, infact, some Grunge is even heavier than these, great bands and great tunes, but you know, metal is metal! 🙂
  8. Germany
    Moves
    14 May '09 16:28
    dude these are not really, dare i say it, heavy enough, infact, some Grunge is even heavier than these, great bands and great tunes, but you know, metal is metal! 🙂
    Well, if you want heavy there is enough out there. But I guess most metal bands stopped trying to be heavier than their predecessors because you really can't get much heavier than what's already out there, and that kind of stuff tends to be quite boring anyways.
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    14 May '09 16:33
    metal was crap anyway.

It was obviously invented for people with hearing disabilities.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '09 16:481 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, if you want heavy there is enough out there. But I guess most metal bands stopped trying to be heavier than their predecessors because you really can't get much heavier than what's already out there, and that kind of stuff tends to be quite boring anyways.
    mmm, you have a point, these guys that you mentioned, they seem to have an almost folk influence running through them, are they very popular? some friend gave me a Pantera cd, but once you have tasted early Maiden, nothing is quite as good.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    14 May '09 18:16
    mmm, you have a point, these guys that you mentioned, they seem to have an almost folk influence running through them, are they very popular? some friend gave me a Pantera cd, but once you have tasted early Maiden, nothing is quite as good.
    Depends on your definition of "popular", I guess Opeth has sold maybe 1 or 2 million records. You can compare popularity on last.fm, though that's just the popularity amongst the internet community of course.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 May '09 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    with hearing disabilities.
    Or the lack of ear to distinguish and enjoy harmonies, tunes, tempos, and, well, in summary: the beauty of music.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 May '09 21:331 edit
    Dear gentle reader, there was a person who put forth the proposition that metal was alive and well! it was dead i retorted, metal was dead! it had died when Dianno was kicked from Maiden and Dickinson turned them into an operatic outfit.

what had happened? where was Saxon, where was Motorhead? killed by pansies from America, Motley Cru and Cin its likes ever be seen again and distinguishable from these inferior mutations, who can tell?
    As mentioned motorhead still around, LZ were not HM and Saxon are not exactly top of everyones "bring 'em back" list.

I shared a flat with a friend who was a metal-head for a few years, it was like being stuck in a very loud, very boring groove for a very long time. I use to play Wham just get some contrast into my life!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '09 21:35
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Or the lack of ear to distinguish and enjoy harmonies, tunes, tempos, and, well, in summary: the beauty of music.
    dude early Maiden has all of these things, dig this my goodman!

YouTube&feature=related
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '09 21:391 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As mentioned motorhead still around, LZ were not HM and Saxon are not exactly top of everyones "bring 'em back" list.

I shared a flat with a friend who was a metal-head for a few years, it was like being stuck in a very loud, very boring groove for a very long time. I use to play Wham just get some contrast into my life!
    what are you talking about? dig this you woosie, heavy metal thunder, it was a b side, cant remember what the a side was, great song, the epitome of decent first generation metal, maybe a bit too heavy for you woosters!

YouTube

awesome band, would turn eric clapton into a cornflake and leave him smokin like a kipper!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree