17 Sep '10 09:57
    A Stroke of Luck.

Lovely Italian film.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 13:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Inception is great. Best movie I've seen in a while...
    Saw it last weekend and enjoyed it immensely!
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 16:02
    This week I saw Metropolis (Reconstructed and Restored) which was a good excuse to see the film on the big screen. It's even better, I think it dethroned Nosferatu from my silent movie favourite.

BUT now I have to see Nosferatu on the big screen.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 19:391 edit
    Inception is great. Best movie I've seen in a while...
    I spoil the movie here if you havent seen it.

Really? thought it was kinda dull myself. just seemed obvious that buddy was dreaming the whole time. That whole end of the movie spinning top thing was a sad payoff. I was hoping i was wrong and that he wasnt dreaming but alas, he was.

I've seen other movies like this where everything really just takes place in the characters head so perhaps i'm just a bit tired of the genre. Eyes wide shut, Donnie Darko, Mulhulland Drive, Total Recall, and that tom cruise one where his face is always messed up. It's getting too easy to spot now.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 19:43
    Last movie I saw was, although not new, "The Last Waltz".

Great documentary by Martin Scorsese
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Really? thought it was kinda dull myself. just seemed obvious that buddy was dreaming the whole time. That whole end of the movie spinning top thing was a sad payoff. I was hoping i was wrong and that he wasnt dreaming but alas, he was.

I've seen other movies like this where everything really just takes place in the characters head so perhaps i'm just ...[text shortened]... d that tom cruise one where his face is always messed up. It's getting too easy to spot now.
    First of all -- try not to spoil the movie for everyone reading the thread. You may want to go back and edit your text to hide it.

Secondly (and here's a further spoiler) -- I didn't get that he was dreaming the whole time. In fact, the determination of whether he was still in a dreamstate (not "dreaming the whole time"😉 was left up to the viewer. The top did not fall or stay spinning at the end.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 20:041 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    First of all -- try not to spoil the movie for everyone reading the thread. You may want to go back and edit your text to hide it.

Secondly [b](and here's a further spoiler)
    -- I didn't get that he was dreaming the whole time. In fact, the determination of whether he was still in a dreamstate (not "dreaming the whole time"😉 was left up to the viewer. The top did not fall or stay spinning at the end.[/b]
    More spoils

It's the same as in Blade Runner, when at the end you're "left to believe" if decker was a robot too. It's obvious throughout the movie and at the end, if you can read the clues, that decker is a robot. The director's cut shows it even more so.

So too with Inception. The end is even more proof. It's simple. The top doesn't fall! Some viewers i guess are interpreting the long scene shot showing the top to mean they are supposed to wait to see if the top falls. But, in reality, the director is just showing you that the top doesn't fall. He's putting it out there front and centre saying, "hey look, the top didnt' fall...he's dreaming!" It's one of those "put the truth right in front of your eyes and people will not want to believe it" moments. It's like there's this implied thing going on that if the shot stayed on the screen for 5 more seconds you'd get to see the top fall. Dude, he has to end the movie at some point. Show the top spinning for 5 minutes and someone would claim, "ya, but it was about to fall, we just didn't get to see it!"

Lots of other clues, but my hands hurt.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 10:111 edit
    More spoils

It's the same as in Blade Runner, when at the end you're "left to believe" if decker was a robot too. It's obvious throughout the movie and at the end, if you can read the clues, that decker is a robot. The director's cut shows it even more so.

So too with Inception. The end is even more proof. It's simple. The top doesn't fall! Some v we just didn't get to see it!"

Lots of other clues, but my hands hurt.
    You didn't understand most of the movie, it seems.

Let me give you a tip: the top was Mal's totem.

Second: The movie is significantly autobiographical, and I'm not just talking about his wife.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 12:54
    I saw half of The Limits of Control (Jim Jarmusch) -- perplexing but compelling, I really wanted to sit through the whole thing, but my mind closes down nights in front of screens regardless of quality these days.
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 18:44
    I posted this in another thread but the movie Lebanon gets a rock solid reccomendation.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 07:45
    You didn't understand most of the movie, it seems.

Let me give you a tip: the top was Mal's totem.

Second: The movie is significantly autobiographical, and I'm not just talking about his wife.
    seems you didn't make it past level one on the nuance scale
  12. The sky
    Moves
    02 Oct '10 18:03
    I watched two films today: "Pianomania" (a documentary about a piano tuner) and "Micmacs" (a comedy by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the maker of 'Amélie'😉. I enjoyed both of them.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Oct '10 20:05
    seems you didn't make it past level one on the nuance scale
    Not everyone can be as...perceptive...as you, I guess. 😵
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Oct '10 20:06
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I watched two films today: "Pianomania" (a documentary about a piano tuner) and "Micmacs" (a comedy by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the maker of 'Amélie'😉. I enjoyed both of them.
    Micmacs is nice, but what was up with that weird sign language? 🙂
  15. The sky
    Moves
    02 Oct '10 20:17
    Micmacs is nice, but what was up with that weird sign language? 🙂
    I have no idea, but it somehow fits.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree