1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 02:522 edits
    We saw Expendables, thought it was a fun romp! Also saw Eat Pray Love Julia Roberts, was a very good flick, true story. On the other hand, we just saw the American, George Clooney. Don't bother, no plot, no back story, he starts out being depressed, ends up depressed, kills a bunch of people, dies. That's about it. Totally worthless piece of shyte.

You think about Clooney, maybe you think about Brother where art thou, a really great flick, especially for old time music lovers, then he made a few years later, Men who stare at Goats. Now American. Like a real falling graph of respectability. The one bright thing in American was Violante Placido, a strikingly beautiful Italian actress who played his whore turned gf, and the priest (can't have a movie in Italy without a priest🙂

Father Benedetto played by a great veteran actor Paolo Bonacelli, they were the high points character-wise of the movie. So now you know all about it. The trailer shows the best parts so you don't have to watch the whole boring thing.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 10:32
    Gasland - An excellent documentary about the undereported health dangers caused by the natural gas industry and specifically an industry practice known as 'hydraulic fracturing.' I highly recommend it.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 12:02
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Gasland - An excellent documentary about the undereported health dangers caused by the natural gas industry and specifically an industry practice known as 'hydraulic fracturing.' I highly recommend it.
    Is it available on any of the regular movie stores, Blockbuster, etc.?
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 14:36
    Recently I've seen and enjoyed Frost/Nixon, Kick Ass, Herzong's Bad Lieutenant remake, Youth in Revolt and Shutter Island.

Saw and did not enjoy Book of Eli and Hot Tub Time Machine.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 14:37
    Inception is great. Best movie I've seen in a while...
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 14:58
    An Education (2009) - British film, very good.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 20:441 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Is it available on any of the regular movie stores, Blockbuster, etc.?
    I don't know. I saw it on HBO.

Edit: Wikipedia says "Gasland premiered at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. The film is currently on the film festival circuit and premiered on HBO on June 21." So it may not be out on DVD yet.
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    04 Sep '10 09:55
    I saw Mulan recently it's subtitled so not everyones cup of tea. I thoughty it was fantastic, not really into war films myself but this is more of a love, honour and sadness story.

I saw an education too, it is a good film. Only seams to be women who appreasiate it though, I don't know why that is.
  9. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    04 Sep '10 10:34
    Originally posted by yo its me
    "...
    ...I saw an education too, it is a good film. Only seams to be women who appreasiate it though, I don't know why that is.
    "
    Yes, it's true - the only ones that I know who have seen this movie are women. It is film about a girl's development into maturity, and the irresponsible, immoral men whom she meets. But the other characters (parents, teachers) are also interesting. I appreciated the film very much.
  10. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    04 Sep '10 12:41
    I saw Chris Morris' Four Lions and (previously recommended by FMF) The Infidel one day after another. Which was interesting.

Both really good - the best British comedies I've seen in a while.

And Channel 4 showed In Bruges last weekend. Despite recommendations aplenty, I'd just never got round to it, and I really enjoyed it.
  11. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    04 Sep '10 13:131 edit
    I also saw an amazing thing at the Edinburgh Festival (actual Festival, not the Fringe. La de da.) , a Spanish production called Sin Sangre. Basically, there was a thin projection screen at the front of the stage, then the stage with live actors and props, and then a second projection screen behind the stage. So the actors moved around with projections in front of them and behind them.

The opening scene had three men in a car - but the car was simply projected on to the front screen (and the countryside on the back screen) and they crouched down so that they looked like they were in it. It had a distinct old movie feel to it; like when you get an interior shot of a car, and the view out the window is obviously fake. A later scene had two people sitting at a table in a bar, and then 'the camera' did a 180 sweep round them - although, of course, it was simply the back-projection moving to give the illusion of the (much more modern-seeming) cinematic technique.

It was technically well-done, arresting and - depending what you made of my description - considerably less pretentious and considerably better than you might think.
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Sep '10 23:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We saw Expendables, thought it was a fun romp! Also saw Eat Pray Love Julia Roberts, was a very good flick, true story. On the other hand, we just saw the American, George Clooney. Don't bother, no plot, no back story, he starts out being depressed, ends up depressed, kills a bunch of people, dies. That's about it. Totally worthless piece of shyte.

You t ...[text shortened]... bout it. The trailer shows the best parts so you don't have to watch the whole boring thing.
    Nice spoiler alert on The American! 😞

D
  13. Lawrence, Ks
    Moves
    05 Sep '10 00:271 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay

Saw and did not enjoy Book of Eli and Hot Tub Time Machine.
    Are you kidding? HTTM was a GREAT flick! You just have to go in to have a good time, not expecting something profound. It's not Atonement, after all. About the only thing that really irked me about HTTM was the bald actor that keeps popping up in Ashton Kutcher films. What's his name... . Even he grew on me, though, the more times I've seen it. It's kind of an homage, at times, to all the quirky 80's films that were popular, but real stinkers. John Cusak having been in many of THOSE as well. I Love it!
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 00:56
    No End in Sight

The most consistent indictment I've seen of the way the Bush administration conducted post-war Iraq. A must see, even if you think you've seen it all before. Brilliant and serious documentary without the pop tendencies that plague the genre.

Trailer:
    YouTube
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    06 Sep '10 16:101 edit
    A couple of top notch films - Restrepo and Winter's Bone

Not quite as good but still good ones in Cyrus and Get Low and Inception.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree