Whose got the best taste in music on rhp?

Whose got the best taste in music on rhp?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
20 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
You have made me blush musically speaking, Pianoman1! However, I do feel venue makes the musical selection. I'd rather have Dolly Parton blaring at the honky tonk rather than the most sublime Beethoven! Also, if I could go back in time, although I'd love meeting the great Beethoven I also would much rather spend a few nights in Schubertiades rather than ...[text shortened]... t I also dream of the food that might have been served at these artistic yet raucous reunions!
Schubert and Beethoven maybe even challenging one another to an improvisation contest? I slobber at the thought! To be quite honest I also dream of the food that might have been served at these artistic yet raucous reunions!

I don't think Franz Schubert played his own compositions well enough to do so in large public settings. But Beethoven was also a concert pianist. Am I right ?

Creativity wise, of course Schubert produced a phenomenal amount of original masterworks for a relatively short life.

I can never forget how a refreshingly new experience it was hearing a Schubert symphony. I mean as a youth after being already exposed to Beethoven 3rd and 5th symphonies.

s

Moves
20 Jul 12

Originally posted by jaywill
Schubert and Beethoven maybe even challenging one another to an improvisation contest? I slobber at the thought! To be quite honest I also dream of the food that might have been served at these artistic yet raucous reunions!

I don't think Franz Schubert played his own compositions well enough to do so in large public settings. But Beetho ...[text shortened]... t symphony. I mean as a youth after being already exposed to Beethoven 3rd and 5th symphonies.
Beethoven was regarded as the best pianist of his day and was only rivaled by Carl Czerny. They had a piano playoff and Beethoven blew Czerny away and Czerny never played in public again after that. I am not sure Schubert was a great pianist, but he did improvise well enough to go toe to toe with anyone. Plus a few lagers under his belt might embolden anyone to take a whack at the great Beethoven. Bear in mind that by Schubertiade time Beethoven had not performed much in public anymore and would have been rusty given that he dedicated his considerable energy to composition instead. Either way the fantasy still makes me drool. A night of poetry, music, song, ribaldry, jokes and private introduction of new lieder would have been marvelous indeed. Schubert was accomplished enough on the keyboard to premiere his own lieder. Takes considerable pianistic ability to do so!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Aug 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Pianoman1
IT IS ALL JUST MUSIC. NONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER!!!!
So let me get this straight. Are you saying that Arthur Rubinstein was not better than John Tesh?

Come on, not even you could refuse to make this distinction.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Aug 12

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Can you imagine what that might have been like? Schubert and Beethoven maybe even challenging one another to an improvisation contest? I slobber at the thought!
As someone with some small experience with classical piano and jazz piano, I cannot imagine that even the great Beethoven would do well at improvisation, since he eventually went completely deaf.

Practiced fingers will only get you so far, and you'll need a good ear to bring you the rest of the way, when it comes to improvisation.

Moves
03 Aug 12

I have.
Sex Pistols, Bach, Bacharach, Buxtehude, Hot Chocolate, Strauss co., Nico, Grappelli.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
04 Aug 12

After today, I've got the best taste in music on RHP. Just got 'Cold Fact', by Rodriguez (1970), in the mail today. It's a revelation. In more ways than one. So move over everyone, I'm taking over as the most interesting man on RHP.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Aug 12

Originally posted by rwingett
After today, I've got the best taste in music on RHP. Just got 'Cold Fact', by Rodriguez (1970), in the mail today. It's a revelation. In more ways than one. So move over everyone, I'm taking over as the most interesting man on RHP.
Say more.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Aug 12

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Say more.
I can't believe that album wasn't a huge hit all across the world. He needed a better record label, or something. It may have taken 41 years, but I have found Sugarman.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Aug 12

I can't believe that album wasn't a huge hit all across the world. He needed a better record label, or something. It may have taken 41 years, but I have found Sugarman.
What label is it on now?

Would like to know which songs you like best once you've listened a few times.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Aug 12

What label is it on now?

'Light In The Attic Records'? That seems to be it.

I've just gone through it once so far. I'll let you know, though. There seem to be several candidates.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
06 Aug 12

What label is it on now?

You know, it's not the kind of album where there's a "hit song" that stands out from the rest. The whole thing is just a collection of extraordinarily crafted songs. Except, perhaps, for 'Gommorah (A Nursery Rhyme)'. I could do without that one. It was probably a better idea at the time. But I love the rest of it.

Sugar Man
This Is Not A Song, It's An Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues
Inner City Blues
I Wonder
Rich Folks Hoax

Those are perhaps my favorites. I'm loving it.

His second album hasn't arrived yet. I can't imagine it being any better than the first one. Any opinions on your end?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
06 Aug 12

You know, it's not the kind of album where there's a "hit song" that stands out from the rest. The whole thing is just a collection of extraordinarily crafted songs. Except, perhaps, for 'Gommorah (A Nursery Rhyme)'. I could do without that one. It was probably a better idea at the time. But I love the rest of it.

Sugar Man
This Is Not A Song, It's An ...[text shortened]... yet. I can't imagine it being any better than the first one. Any opinions on your end?
I need to dig it up and listen to it again. Of course I relate well to Crucify Your Mind, probably my favourite. The second album doesn't quite hold up to the first.

I am not from the generation that went to war, so reading this was interesting to me:
http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2012-08-03-resurrecting-rodriguez

I know Mabu Vinyl quite well.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
06 Aug 12

I need to dig it up and listen to it again. Of course I relate well to Crucify Your Mind, probably my favourite. The second album doesn't quite hold up to the first.

I am not from the generation that went to war, so reading this was interesting to me:
http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2012-08-03-resurrecting-rodriguez

I know Mabu Vinyl quite well.
I almost put that song on the list, but I did want to just end up putting them all in there.

Interesting article. When you say "went to war", I assume you're talking about the conflict in Namibia against SWAPO?

I assume you've never seen him live on one of his previous tours of South Africa?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
06 Aug 12

I almost put that song on the list, but I did want to just end up putting them all in there.

Interesting article. When you say "went to war", I assume you're talking about the conflict in Namibia against SWAPO?

I assume you've never seen him live on one of his previous tours of South Africa?
It was referred to as 'the border' and extended into Angola. Battle of Cuito Canavale and other stories. See Etienne Van Heerden's story 'My Kubaan'/'My Cuban'.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see him. One of many regrets.

I did get to see James Phillips before he died. Not so very far from Rodriguez in attitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Phillips_%28musician%29

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
07 Aug 12

I saw him perform here in Durban about 15 years ago. Quite sedate, but sublime nonetheless.