1. At the Revolution
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 21:20
    Originally posted by lausey
    The Bible.
    And John begat Jonas begat Jesus begat Mary begat Billy begat Bartholomew begat Matthew begat George Washington begat that one sheep thing over there begat that grass begat this drop of water begat .....
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 22:22
    You freakin' ignorants. Your feverish need to feel cool and "different" makes you mock something just for the sake of it, ignoring its intrinsec value.

For believers, the Bible is simply majestic. For non believers (at least for those mature ones, i.e. those without the I-am-so-look-watch-me-mock-religion facade), the Bible is damn interesting: It has everything! Battles, intrigues, sex, fantasy, politics, culture, comedy, etc. Man, it's like hundreds of books in one!

Together with El Quijote and a few other classics, the Bible is a must read before leaving this life, I would say.
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 01:241 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    You freakin' ignorants. Your feverish need to feel cool and "different" makes you mock something just for the sake of it, ignoring its intrinsec value.

For believers, the Bible is simply majestic. For non believers (at least for those mature ones, i.e. those without the I-am-so-look-watch-me-mock-religion facade), the Bible is damn interesting: It has ever te and a few other classics, the Bible is a must read before leaving this life, I would say.
    I've read the Bible. I wouldn't be a good atheist if I didn't read the Bible, Torah, and Qur'an.

EDIT: I'm ignorant? I cite your anti-Arab posts in the Israel's 60th thread in Debates.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 07:50

For believers, the Bible is simply majestic. For non believers (at least for those mature ones, i.e. those without the I-am-so-look-watch-me-mock-religion facade), the Bible is damn interesting: It has everything! Battles, intrigues, sex, fantasy, politics, culture, comedy, etc. Man, it's like hundreds of books in one!
    Got to agree with you there, my man, there's something in there for every taste, from philosophy to sado-masochism.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 07:54
    Originally posted by scherzo
    I've read the Bible. I wouldn't be a good atheist if I didn't read the Bible, Torah, and Qur'an.
    You're so-so. Get through the Vedas, the Upanishads, take in the Mahabharata for kicks ... take a deep breath and get started on the Confucian Analects ... ingest the Zend Avesta ... don't leave out the Cloud of Unknowing ...

But surely you can be a good atheist without having read any religious texts whatsoever.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 09:03
    Together with El Quijote and a few other classics, the Bible is a must read before leaving this life, I would say.
    To be honest, I found El Quijote quite uninteresting. Is it my need to feel cool?
  7. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 09:06
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The wheel of fortune trilo... quar...cin... thousandology.
    Cause that's what it feels like if you try to read that crap.

However, the bible is a close second.
    I must disagree and agree.

The first 4 books were epic. The first book was absolutely brilliant. But there was a steady decline in quality and focus from 5 to 10.

10 was diabolical. But 11 picked up and got me interested again.

Its all moot though. Jame Oliver Rigby (Robert Jordan) has since passed away and the series will be finished in the next book by his family and a collective effort.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 10:53
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Bet you haven't read it.

It's a pity a potentially interesting thread has probably already been sabotaged by a lame attempt to be controversial. The Bible has some good bits, some dull bits, some mad bits, and some fictional bits. The Book of Job is a philosophical fiction; it's actually quite good.
    I've stayed in so many hotel rooms I've even set Gideon traps to find out who the little bastards are...

And as I pointed out: The wheel of whatever is even worse.
    So, don't come around here knocking my door and trying to be... be... be...

Well, you're very lucky I lost my train of thought there.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 10:54
    Originally posted by RDM
    I must disagree and agree.

The first 4 books were epic. The first book was absolutely brilliant. But there was a steady decline in quality and focus from 5 to 10.

10 was diabolical. But 11 picked up and got me interested again.

Its all moot though. Jame Oliver Rigby (Robert Jordan) has since passed away and the series will be finished in the next book by his family and a collective effort.
    I didn't know writer's could bore themselves to death by actually writing that which usually only kills.

It's a funny old world.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 10:55

comedy
    Alright. I'll take the bait.

Crack one joke out the bible.
    Go on. Make me laugh big boy.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 11:171 edit
    Alright. I'll take the bait.

Crack one joke out the bible.
    Go on. Make me laugh big boy.
    Pint-sized Zaccheus scrambling up a tree to catch a glimpse of JC is a comedy situation.

Job is a tour de force of black comedy.

The way Isaac tricks his dad is pretty comical.

Lot's daughters mounting their pa always made me laugh.

Balaam and his ass is a funny episode.

There's humour everywhere, man.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 11:241 edit
    Here's a funny murder scene: Eglon stabs the King of Moab.

With such force that the haft went in after the blade into the wound, and was closed up with the abundance of fat. So that he did not draw out the dagger, but left it in his body as he had struck it in. And forthwith by the secret parts of nature the excrements of the belly came out.
    (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Wouldn't be out of place in Pulp fiction.

I Kings 18:27
    And at noon Elijah mocked them, saying, “Cry aloud, for he is a god. Either he is musing, or he is relieving himself, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.”

Sarcastic as no1marauder.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 11:42
    Pint-sized Zaccheus scrambling up a tree to catch a glimpse of JC is a comedy situation.

Job is a tour de force of black comedy.

The way Isaac tricks his dad is pretty comical.

Lot's daughters mounting their pa always made me laugh.

Balaam and his ass is a funny episode.

There's humour everywhere, man.
    Not one quotation and not so much as one smile...
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 11:43
    Here's a funny murder scene: Eglon stabs the King of Moab.

With such force that the haft went in after the blade into the wound, and was closed up with the abundance of fat. So that he did not draw out the dagger, but left it in his body as he had struck it in. And forthwith by the secret parts of nature the excrements of the belly came out.
    (Douay ...[text shortened]... e is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.”

Sarcastic as no1marauder.
    Yeah... quite Bill Hicks it is not, though.

However, given that it's thousands of years old...

Homer was funnier.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 12:221 edit
    Yeah... quite Bill Hicks it is not, though.

However, given that it's thousands of years old...

Homer was funnier.
    'I was wrong, the Bible has got humour in it, and I am a lazy, ignorant, prejudiced sack of lard'. Thanks, Shav.

What are Homer's funniest moments?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree