Worst fiction book?

Worst fiction book?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
'I was wrong, the Bible has got humour in it, and I am a lazy, ignorant, prejudiced sack of lard'. Thanks, Shav.

What are Homer's funniest moments?
"Doh!"

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
"Doh!"
Tedious and predictable.

Moving on, which modern works of fiction do you think are worse than The Fountainhead?

Under compulsion, would you rather read Ayn Rand or the Bible?

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
04 Aug 08

Tedious and predictable.

Moving on, which modern works of fiction do you think are worse than The Fountainhead?

Under compulsion, would you rather read Ayn Rand or the Bible?
I'd have to re-read the bible, I'm afraid.
Just looking at "Atlas shrugged" gets me so fired up I want to go out and burn down banks.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
04 Aug 08

Got to agree with you there, my man, there's something in there for every taste, from philosophy to sado-masochism.
Glad to read we agree. I must confess I haven't read it all myself, but the parts I've gone through have kept me entertained for hours.

The parts about battles are my favorite!

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
04 Aug 08

Alright. I'll take the bait.

Crack one joke out the bible.
Go on. Make me laugh big boy.
For making you laugh I don't need the Bible.

Just to remove my pants.

Er... wait... that was a goal in own side... forget about it.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Seitse
Glad to read we agree. I must confess I haven't read it all myself, but the parts I've gone through have kept me entertained for hours.

The parts about battles are my favorite!
Samson always kept me turning the pages.

Researching a little, I find that the New Testament has its fair share of verbal humour, but it survives translation less well than the clean lines of the Old. So, reading Paul & co is like watching a dubbed German version of The Apostle with Chinglish subtitles as popularised by pirate DVDS.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by Palynka
To be honest, I found El Quijote quite uninteresting. Is it my need to feel cool?
Oh well, perhaps I will not read it again in my remaining life, because it bores me. But when I read it as a kid I thought it was tremendously entertaining. Almost as much as Homer!

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
04 Aug 08

Samson always kept me turning the pages.

Researching a little, I find that the New Testament has its fair share of verbal humour, but it survives translation less well than the clean lines of the Old. So, reading Paul & co is like watching a dubbed German version of The Apostle with Chinglish subtitles as popularised by pirate DVDS.
There are also some very interesting parts about politics, if you read the Bible as if it was The Prince or some sort of PR manual.

I haven't heard the humoristic analysis of the Bible. Anything you can recommend?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by Seitse
There are also some very interesting parts about politics, if you read the Bible as if it was The Prince or some sort of PR manual.

I haven't heard the humoristic analysis of the Bible. Anything you can recommend?
No, it's completely new to me. I always thought the New Testament to be worthless from Acts onwards. Your Google is my Google.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Aug 08

This is a really difficult topic ... I can't think of any really terrible fiction that I've finished.

Jodi Picoult looks pretty ghastly, though.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
04 Aug 08

The DaVinci code was pretty gruesome.
No charcter development, singular plot, based on a debunkt theory (the priory of zion) and no artistic merit what-so-ever.

That being said, Umberto Eco's "The flames of queen... whatever" was pretentiously rubbish to it's rotten core too. Proving that even the greatest of writers sometimes should take up water-sports instead.

Most "autobiographies" should be punishable by death.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by scherzo
I've read the Bible. I wouldn't be a good atheist if I didn't read the Bible, Torah, and Qur'an.

EDIT: I'm ignorant? I cite your anti-Arab posts in the Israel's 60th thread in Debates.
I doubt you actually read those things, much less having read them in any sort of scholarly way.
Even in your claim to the contrary you betray ignorance. For example, the Torah is merely the
first five books of the Bible, also called the Pentateuch. If you were not ignorant of the various
scriptures that comprise the Sacred Texts of these religions, then you would have known that
specifying having read the Bible would render mentioning the Torah as redundant.

Nemesio

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by Nemesio
I doubt you actually read those things, much less having read them in any sort of scholarly way.
Even in your claim to the contrary you betray ignorance. For example, the Torah is merely the
first five books of the Bible, also called the Pentateuch. If you were not ignorant of the various
scriptures that comprise the Sacred Texts of these religions, the ...[text shortened]... hat
specifying having read the Bible would render mentioning the Torah as redundant.

Nemesio
I've read loads from the bible (I was forced to).
But to tell you the honest truth, I can't remember most of what I read, but I do remember wiping my arse with pages from one.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Aug 08

You're so-so. Get through the Vedas, the Upanishads, take in the Mahabharata for kicks ... take a deep breath and get started on the Confucian Analects ... ingest the Zend Avesta ... don't leave out the Cloud of Unknowing ...

But surely you can be a good atheist without having read any religious texts whatsoever.
You are not an informed atheist unless you read religious texts. Otherwise your arguments wouldn't stand up.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Aug 08

The DaVinci code was pretty gruesome.
No charcter development, singular plot, based on a debunkt theory (the priory of zion) and no artistic merit what-so-ever.

That being said, Umberto Eco's "The flames of queen... whatever" was pretentiously rubbish to it's rotten core too. Proving that even the greatest of writers sometimes should take up water-sports instead.

Most "autobiographies" should be punishable by death.
Da Vinci code was an OK book if you take it with a lump of salt. The movie version was amazing though, if only as a fantasy movie (apparently most Catholics didn't take it as such).