1. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 18:01
    Originally posted by bill718
    A recent ABC news poll shows 70% of Americans disapprove of the GOP and their tactics regarding this shutdown, and the situation is not improving for republican lawmakers. While most are unhappy with both sides on this, it's the GOP who's getting most of the blame. If this trend continues, the GOP is going to have a hard time keeping control of the House in ...[text shortened]... ews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/10/republicans-lose-ground-vs-obama-in-the-shutdown-blame-game/😏
    hmmm and the latest gallup poll shows that only 33% of americans trust televised news. makes you wonder if the populace even trusts polls from the MSM to begin with. how ironic!
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 18:15
    A recent ABC news poll shows 70% of Americans disapprove of the GOP and their tactics regarding this shutdown, and the situation is not improving for republican lawmakers. While most are unhappy with both sides on this, it's the GOP who's getting most of the blame. If this trend continues, the GOP is going to have a hard time keeping control of the House in ...[text shortened]... ews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/10/republicans-lose-ground-vs-obama-in-the-shutdown-blame-game/😏
    I'm surprised it isn't higher? With the propaganda machine out there and the stupidity of the American people only 70% seems pretty low.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 21:46
    I found this today and thought how perfect it was for my earlier post.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/08/us-adults-are-dumber-than-the-average-human/
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 22:50
    Pelosi as Speaker had many opportunities to equally hold a gun to America's head but never did so. She never said to Bush or Obama -- gimme something or I deny the CR vote and shutdown the government, or I deny the debt ceiling vote and force a US default.

She never said to Bush I will only allow a CR or debt ceiling vote to go to the House floor -- only if you agree to increase taxes on the rich, or agree to increase entitlements, or to delay or to defund a law she didn't like, etc., or anything.

She never played with America that way. She never took America hostage. She always allowed a vote on the CR and debt ceiling. That is American. She valued the legislative democratic process
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 01:41
    GOP Tactics?

America has the votes for both a clean CR and a clean debt ceiling increase in Congress. The only thing that is stopping such is Boehner not allowing the votes to go to the House floor.

What if in the past when Bush was President and Pelosi was Speaker, Pelosi had threatened to force a US default?

For instance, assuming that Bush also had the votes in Congress for a debt ceiling increase, and Pelosi was not allowing the vote to go to the House floor, would Bush and the GOP go into conference with Pelosi to negotiate the increase in the top tax rates, say somewhere between 50% and 75%, that she was demanding in exchange for allowing the debt ceiling vote to go to the House floor?
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 10:36
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I found this today and thought how perfect it was for my earlier post.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/08/us-adults-are-dumber-than-the-average-human/
    This is what the intelligent Americans recognize.

The President has the power to not negotiate under threat of default. The President also has the power to veto any bill that delayed or defunded the ACA, and he would exercise that power. That is the legislative democratic process.

Delay or defunding of the ACA is a non-starter as long as Obama is President. We go to US default and the ACA remains in place and funded, that's for sure.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 15:46
    Originally posted by moon1969
    This is what the intelligent Americans recognize.

The President has the power to not negotiate under threat of default. The President also has the power to veto any bill that delayed or defunded the ACA, and he would exercise that power. That is the legislative democratic process.

Delay or defunding of the ACA is a non-starter as long as Obama is President. We go to US default and the ACA remains in place and funded, that's for sure.
    The US goes into default if we don't pay our bills. We have plenty of money to pay our bills.

We may be forced to cut back on spending, but that's not default. That's called living on a budget. Personally I see nothing wrong with that.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 22:53
    The US goes into default if we don't pay our bills. We have plenty of money to pay our bills.

We may be forced to cut back on spending, but that's not default. That's called living on a budget. Personally I see nothing wrong with that.
    The Treasury can juggle funds for a couple of weeks, but the US default is coming. On it's way.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 23:451 edit
    The Treasury can juggle funds for a couple of weeks, but the US default is coming. On it's way.
    Wow could it be that i get 2 dollars for the pound like it was when i as a kid? maybe three, bring it!
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 01:05
    And at what point do you think the debt is high enough to stop? Borrowing irresponsibly (by both parties) is why we are in this fix. The last time the national debt was reduced was when Dwight Eisenhower was President.

The default is coming, whether or not the debt ceiling is raised. It is inevitable.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 01:06

"We may be forced to cut back on spending, but that's not default. That's called living on a budget."

Do you really think that any present Democrat or Republican can do that?
  12. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 05:462 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    And at what point do you think the debt is high enough to stop? Borrowing irresponsibly (by both parties) is why we are in this fix. The last time the national debt was reduced was when Dwight Eisenhower was President.

The default is coming, whether or not the debt ceiling is raised. It is inevitable.
    First, the time to reduce debt is in the budgetary process not through a catastrophic US default which would actually dramatically increase the debt due to massive increased interest and reduced revenues.

As for debt reduction during the budget process, the Tea Party rejects $10 spending cuts (entitlements) for $1 revenue increases. Zero compromise. All about ideology.

Second, a default is no where in sight as long debt ceiling is raised and people are willing invest in US debt.
  13. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 05:48
    "We may be forced to cut back on spending, but that's not default. That's called living on a budget."

Boehner and the President came to agreement on a big reduction play that was 75% spending cuts (entitlements) and 25% revenue increases. The Tea Party rejected it. Zero compromise. Obstinate. All about ideology.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 15:32

There may be a couple of Democrats and a few Republicans that would do it, but that's about it.

I'm not saying that it would happen, but if it did it would not be defaulting.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 15:33
    Boehner and the President came to agreement on a big reduction play that was 75% spending cuts (entitlements) and 25% revenue increases. The Tea Party rejected it. Zero compromise. Obstinate. All about ideology.
    Tax increase now and cutting in the future doesn't cut it. The reason is that cutting spending never actually happens.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree