1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 00:49
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Tax increase now and cutting in the future doesn't cut it. The reason is that cutting spending never actually happens.
    One thing that is certain is that defunding or delaying the ACA is a non-starter while Obama is President.

The government can be shutdown for years and we can go through economic catastrophe associated with a US default, and the ACA will remain and be funded.

There is absolutely nothing the Tea Party can do about it. The Tea Party can destroy America, but the ACA will still be there and it will be funded.

As long as Obama is President, the ACA will remain and it will be funded. Thank god, the President was reelected in 2012.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 00:53
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Tax increase now and cutting in the future doesn't cut it. The reason is that cutting spending never actually happens.
    "After they run up their credit card, they don't get to ignore it," U.S. Treasury Jacob Lew on Congress' failure to raise the debt ceiling.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:22
    Originally posted by moon1969
    GOP Tactics?

America has the votes for both a clean CR and a clean debt ceiling increase in Congress. The only thing that is stopping such is Boehner not allowing the votes to go to the House floor.

What if in the past when Bush was President and Pelosi was Speaker, Pelosi had threatened to force a US default?

For instance, assuming that Bush also ...[text shortened]... that she was demanding in exchange for allowing the debt ceiling vote to go to the House floor?
    Please. Pelosi was the epitome of a hard ball Speaker.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:25
    One thing that is certain is that defunding or delaying the ACA is a non-starter while Obama is President.

The government can be shutdown for years and we can go through economic catastrophe associated with a US default, and the ACA will remain and be funded.

There is absolutely nothing the Tea Party can do about it. The Tea Party can destroy America, ...[text shortened]... ent, the ACA will remain and it will be funded. Thank god, the President was reelected in 2012.
    The TEA party amounts to about 80 reps, and maybe 4 or 5 Senators. They can't do anything but vote their conscience, and what they promised their constituents.

Thank the Constitution for Presidential term limits.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:25
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Please. Pelosi was the epitome of a hard ball Speaker.
    She never threatened a US default.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:26
    She never threatened a US default.
    She was a Democrat and always in favor of increased spending. Cutting spending isn't in her DNA.
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:27
    Thank the Constitution for Presidential term limits.
    And then we have 8 years of Hillary as President to carry the ACA torch.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:28
    She was a Democrat and always in favor of increased spending. Cutting spending isn't in her DNA.
    You missed the point. She never threatened a US default to get as ransom what she could not get through the legislative democratic process.

She never said give me massive more spending or I force a US default.

She never said give me massive tax increases or I force a US default.

She could have.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:32
    You missed the point. She never threatened a US default to get as ransom what she could not get through the legislative democratic process.

She never said give me massive more spending or I force a US default.

She never said give me massive tax increases or I force a US default.

She could have.
    She was running the House when the ACA was rammed through in the dead of night by parliamentary duplicity.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:33
    And then we have 8 years of Hillary as President to carry the ACA torch.
    You can take it to the bank. Hilary Clinton will not be President. She will not even be the Democratic nominee.
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:561 edit
    She was running the House when the ACA was rammed through in the dead of night by parliamentary duplicity.
    That was the legislative democratic process -- a majority of votes in both houses of Congress, and a signature by the President.

Strikingly, as Speaker, she never said I will not let a debt ceiling vote go to the House Floor unless you give me a single-payer healthcare system, or unless you give me 70% income tax rates on the top 1%, etc. -- things she could never have obtained through the legislative democratic process.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:58
    That was the legislative democratic process -- a majority of votes in both houses of Congress, and a signature by the President.

Strikingly, as Speaker, she never said I will not let a debt ceiling vote go to the House Floor unless you give me a single-payer healthcare system, or unless you give me 70% income tax rates on the top 1%, etc. -- things she could never have obtained through the legislative democratic process.
    "That was the legislative democratic process -- a majority of votes in both houses of Congress, and a signature by the President."

Not the way the ACA was passed. Look it up.
  13. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 02:02
    "That was the legislative democratic process -- a majority of votes in both houses of Congress, and a signature by the President."

Not the way the ACA was passed. Look it up.
    What planet are you from. The ACA could not have become law otherwise. Not even the most weirdest people deny that the ACA received a majority of votes in both houses of Congress and a signature by the President.

You may not like the legislative history of the ACA but it did receive a majority of votes in both the House and Senate. To argue otherwise is truly absurd.
  14. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 02:08
    You can take it to the bank. Hilary Clinton will not be President. She will not even be the Democratic nominee.
    Elizabeth Warren for President!
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 02:11
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Elizabeth Warren for President!
    She would have my vote. A true American hero.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree