1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 21:182 edits
    A recent ABC news poll shows 70% of Americans disapprove of the GOP and their tactics regarding this shutdown, and the situation is not improving for republican lawmakers. While most are unhappy with both sides on this, it's the GOP who's getting most of the blame. If this trend continues, the GOP is going to have a hard time keeping control of the House in the 2014 election. This includes many moderate republicans. Speaker Boehner and the house republicans should bow to the will of the majority of American's and end this shutdown

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/10/republicans-lose-ground-vs-obama-in-the-shutdown-blame-game/😏
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 21:21
    Originally posted by bill718
    A recent ABC news poll shows 70% of Americans disapprove of the GOP and their tactics regarding this shutdown, and the situation is not improving for republican lawmakers. While most are unhappy with both sides on this, it's the GOP who's getting most of the blame. If this trend continues, the GOP is going to have a hard time keeping control of the House in ...[text shortened]... ews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/10/republicans-lose-ground-vs-obama-in-the-shutdown-blame-game/😏
    Do you think ABC is a neutral observer?
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 21:22
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Do you think ABC is a neutral observer?
    Blaming the media is sticking your head in the ground. If it makes you happy...do it!😏
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 21:39
    Blaming the media is sticking your head in the ground. If it makes you happy...do it!😏
    Blaming the media is removing your head from its place where the sun doesn't shine. I don't believe the ABC poll.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 21:51
    Blaming the media is removing your head from its place where the sun doesn't shine. I don't believe the ABC poll.
    I bet if it said 70% approve of GOP tactics then you'd have posted the poll yourself.

Sure, no poll is perfect, but do you have any actual evidence that ABC somehow falsified this number?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 21:55
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I bet if it said 70% approve of GOP tactics then you'd have posted the poll yourself.

Sure, no poll is perfect, but do you have any actual evidence that ABC somehow falsified this number?
    The result you say I would post is never going to come from one of the big three networks.

I proved in my college communications class that by simply rewording questions in a poll, I could control and get the result I wanted.

Polls have become a way in which news organizations make the news instead of reporting it.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 22:20
    The result you say I would post is never going to come from one of the big three networks.

I proved in my college communications class that by simply rewording questions in a poll, I could control and get the result I wanted.

Polls have become a way in which news organizations make the news instead of reporting it.
    So your answer to my question is: No.

Got you.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 22:301 edit
    Good idea! Believe the convervative pundents, the same one's that predicted Romney would win a sweeping victory in 2012. It turned out the mainstream media had it right all along. 😀😀😀
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 23:13
    Good idea! Believe the convervative pundents, the same one's that predicted Romney would win a sweeping victory in 2012. It turned out the mainstream media had it right all along. 😀😀😀
    How about questioning everyone?
  10. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 00:35
    I proved in my college communications class that by simply rewording questions in a poll, I could control and get the result I wanted. Polls have become a way in which news organizations make the news instead of reporting it.
    From the classic 1980s BBC situation comedy, Yes, Prime Minister:

[Sir Humphrey demonstrates how public surveys can reach opposite conclusions]
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?
    Bernard Woolley: Yes.
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think there is lack of discipline and vigorous training in our Comprehensive Schools?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think young people welcome some structure and leadership in their lives?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do they respond to a challenge?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Might you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?
    Bernard Woolley: Er, I might be.
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes or no?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Of course, after all you've said you can't say no to that. On the other hand, the surveys can reach opposite conclusions.
    [survey two]
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Are you unhappy about the growth of armaments?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think there's a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think it's wrong to force people to take arms against their will?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Would you oppose the reintroduction of conscription?
    [does a double-take]
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: There you are, Bernard. The perfectly balanced sample.
  11. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 00:47
    The trouble with "questioning everyone" is that it leaves you with no more useful information than you started with. If you were, for instance, a strategist on the Republican National Committee, you'd want to be pretty damn sure of how accurate or otherwise that 70% figure was. You certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand because you didn't approve of its source. After all, your whole career could be riding on the response you made to it!
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 01:01
    I understand there will be a definitive poll on November 4, 2014. Let's see who disbelieves it.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 02:541 edit
    Polls tell us a lot about the public, don't they?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/whoknew-american-history-know-us-06000081

About 25% of Americans do not know that the US gained Independence from the UK.

Only 27% know that the US fought the former USSR in the Cold War.

And only 7% can tell you who the first 4 presidents were.

Polls are fun, aren't they? 😵
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 05:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    Polls tell us a lot about the public, don't they?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/whoknew-american-history-know-us-06000081

About 25% of Americans do not know that the US gained Independence from the UK.

Only 27% know that the US fought the former USSR in the Cold War.

And only 7% can tell you who the first 4 presidents were.

Polls are fun, aren't they? 😵
    And the American education system is fun, too. Right?
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 06:26
    I don't believe the ABC poll.
    I promise you that Republican strategists are looking at and placing value on that number, and rightly so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree