1. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 02:27
    Originally posted by moon1969
    You missed the point. She never threatened a US default to get as ransom what she could not get through the legislative democratic process.

She never said give me massive more spending or I force a US default.

She never said give me massive tax increases or I force a US default.

She could have.
    The U.S. is in no danger of defaulting and will not default.
    You remind me of chicken little,"the sky is falling, the sky is falling !"
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 05:064 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    If the debt ceiling is not raised, the US will default, that's for sure. Fortunately, the Koch brothers may be reigning in Boehner and forcing Boehner to allow a debt ceiling vote to go to the House Floor.

Yet, to be sure, Boehner has been threatening to not let a debt ceiling vote go to the House Floor, unless he gets his ransom -- what he could not get through the legislative democratic process. Pelosi never did that as Speaker.

The extreme right is losing.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 20:58
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-11/why-congress-doesnt-care-you-hate-them-right-now?campaign_id=yhoo
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 23:19
    Originally posted by moon1969
    If the debt ceiling is not raised, the US will default, that's for sure. Fortunately, the Koch brothers may be reigning in Boehner and forcing Boehner to allow a debt ceiling vote to go to the House Floor.

Yet, to be sure, Boehner has been threatening to not let a debt ceiling vote go to the House Floor, unless he gets his ransom -- what he could not get ...[text shortened]... gislative democratic process. Pelosi never did that as Speaker.

The extreme right is losing.
    If the government defaults it will be the administration, and dept of Treasury who does it. There is wide latitude as to what money is spent and when. As we've seen when the administration wants to slow down spending it does so.

Then there is the unheard of notion of negotiating with Congress, and at least slowing the debt slide. Almost every increase in the debt ceiling in the past has been accompanied by spending restrictions, sadly not enough.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 17:21
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Liberals like to redefine default. If you decide to cut back on spending, then you are defaulting on promised spending. This is how they see it.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 17:53
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Liberals like to redefine default. If you decide to cut back on spending, then you are defaulting on promised spending. This is how they see it.
    It's kinda like cutting back on the car payment. Yeah, you spend less...but you defaulted on the agreement...
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 18:19
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It's kinda like cutting back on the car payment. Yeah, you spend less...but you defaulted on the agreement...
    You only have a car payment because you took out a loan. So no, cutting back on spending is not like defaulting on a loan.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 18:21
    You only have a car payment because you took out a loan. So no, cutting back on spending is not like defaulting on a loan.
    Yes, it is. You want the USA to default on the car payment because you're scared of using the Visa card to pay it.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 18:37
    Yes, it is. You want the USA to default on the car payment because you're scared of using the Visa card to pay it.
    A car payment is a loan payment.

I don't want the US to go out to the movies so that it can make its car payment. That's a much better comparison.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 18:381 edit
    A car payment is a loan payment.

I don't want the US to go out to the movies so that it can make its car payment. That's a much better comparison.
    No. The House refuses to provide enough funding to pay the nation's fiscal obligations.

Yeah maybe we shouldn't have bought that car. But we did. Refusing to pay for it won't help.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 18:40
    No. The House refuses to provide enough funding to pay the nation's fiscal obligations.

Yeah maybe we shouldn't have bought that car. But we did. Refusing to pay for it won't help.
    Yes, the parents are saying that they can't afford to go out tonight. This is the case even though they told the kids earlier that they could go out tonight.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 18:41
    Yes, the parents are saying that they can't afford to go out tonight. This is the case even though they told the kids earlier that they could go out tonight.
    The kids are going to wonder where the car went.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 18:571 edit
    The kids are going to wonder where the car went.
    Exactly, which is why you pay off your loans.

Remember you are complaining about spending, not loans. It is only the misguided that think you have to buy a car by taking out a loan. That's what is wrong with America.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 19:04
    Exactly, which is why you pay off your loans.

Remember you are complaining about spending, not loans. It is only the misguided that think you have to buy a car by taking out a loan. That's what is wrong with America.
    You're an idiot.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 19:121 edit
    Cutting back on spending may be fine, but not raising the debt ceiling and thus not making your car payment is a default, and that will give late fees and added interest, increasing what you owe for the car.

To be sure, not raising the debt ceiling will massively increase the US debt. Thanks GOP and Tea Party.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree