8-cell embryos

8-cell embryos

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
102d

@shavixmir
Not just one person not thinking things through, there is a whole cabal of them.
I think the US has problems that will be here in century 22, forget century 19, 20, or 21.
I can just see it now, 100 years from now, people living on Mars or Europa or the moon, hotels in space and headlines going "in Alabama Space, Sperm have just been convicted of crimes against humanity because DNA analysis has clearly shown they will commit crimes when those criminal sperm meets a nice decent egg"

Über-Nerd

Moves
101d

@no1marauder said
I have my doubts any such legislation will pass in Alabama or in any deep Red State. Evangelical Christians are committed to the "life begins at conception" belief and the Alabama's Supreme Court decision is perfectly in line with that; it repeatedly mentions "God" as part of its rationale. And:

"The 2016 National Election Pool Exit Survey had Donald Trump leading Hill ...[text shortened]... recently, those types of voters aren't likely to agree.

I bet those proposals die in committee.
Would dying in committee be the legal equivalent of throwing out a zygote which was never implanted in a womb?

😵

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
101d

@Zahlanzi
I bet the ultrarightwingnuts here thought it was real🙂

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
101d

From Colbert:
What are children?
Well, they’re what you keep frozen at -300 degrees. It’s in the name: Chill-dren. You don’t call them warmdren. Think people, think!

🤣

w

Moves
99d

For decades we've had evangelists pointing to late stage fetuses and saying this is a person. they got their way by overturning the obvious line to draw on fetal personhood - viability.

Now what? Is a cell a human? Come on let's get this over with we all have places to be. Tell us what's the start and end of life? Is Ted Williams still alive?

Über-Nerd

Moves
95d

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/04/europe/france-abortion-constitution-intl/index.html

<<
France became the world’s first country to enshrine abortion rights in its constitution on Monday, the culmination of an effort that began in direct response to the US Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. >>

w

Moves
90d

Here's Mike Johnson, speaker of the house, saying we are in a "brave new world" regarding a technology that's been around since the 1970s!

There are people alive who are well into their 50s who were born via IVF. He thinks its a brand new technology?

https://newrepublic.com/post/179666/mike-johnson-stupid-ivf-comments

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
90d

@wildgrass said
The same logical framework can justify the lost potential for life in the absence of conception. Every time an egg drops, whether there's sperm in it or not, that's a human that could have been.

Thanks SCOTUS, the next few years and decades of court battles should be a blast. What a waste of resources and time for a microscopic ball of cells.

Women should absolutely s ...[text shortened]... them tiny t-shirts, and declaring them as dependents on tax forms. See what the courts do with that.
The thing is, in every menstrual cycle, an egg is jettisoned along with the menstrual lining, sometimes an embryo that hasn't implanted.

Every 28 days, baby.

So what's next, treating women as serial killers?

w

Moves
90d

@suzianne said
The thing is, in every menstrual cycle, an egg is jettisoned along with the menstrual lining, sometimes an embryo that hasn't implanted.

Every 28 days, baby.

So what's next, treating women as serial killers?
Well, this does not happen if you're currently pregnant. So, for women, there's a simple way to avoid prison time.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
88d

@wildgrass said
Here's Mike Johnson, speaker of the house, saying we are in a "brave new world" regarding a technology that's been around since the 1970s!

There are people alive who are well into their 50s who were born via IVF. He thinks its a brand new technology?

https://newrepublic.com/post/179666/mike-johnson-stupid-ivf-comments
He also thinks the planet is about six thousand years old and that our ancestors hung out with T rex before burying him in the rocks 🤷🏻‍♂️

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
88d

@shavixmir
Oh they thought it through alright, they just want control of women and will do anything to get that control, Christian (so called) Nationalists wanting to turn the US into a so called Christian version of Iran, Christianity the state religion, camps for Jews and Muslims, women barefoot and pregnant, forget giving them educations and jobs, that is their goal, sick fukkers, eh.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
88d

@wildgrass
Are you saying prison time for women about abortion and such is ok?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
87d

@wildgrass said
Well, this does not happen if you're currently pregnant. So, for women, there's a simple way to avoid prison time.
Wow, just wow.

w

Moves
87d

@suzianne said
Wow, just wow.
Joking 😃

(Sorry if that wasn't obvious)

Republicans be like "anything to get the chicks laying more baby eggs!"

w

Moves
87d

@sonhouse said
@wildgrass
Are you saying prison time for women about abortion and such is ok?
O boy sorry. No. I guess the sarcasm wasn't thick enough.

If a female human egg is a separate human by legal definition then the problems won't end with IVF.