8-cell embryos

8-cell embryos

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
99d

@moonbus said
It's still an embryo.
I wasn't being serious. Just adding to the posts showing how absurd this law is.

An embryo is considered an unborn, and even in red states the unborn can't be used to claim taxes or other benefits. So as fun as it is to poke fun there really won't be any scams using embryos.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
99d

@vivify said
I wasn't being serious. Just adding to the posts showing how absurd this law is.

An embryo is considered an unborn, and even in red states the unborn can't be used to claim taxes or other benefits. So as fun as it is to poke fun there really won't be any scams using embryos.
Except jailing people for murder.

That’s quite a scam.

w

Moves
99d
1 edit

@kingdavid403 said
I got in this same debate with a professor of mine at the university I received my Biblical degree; and, I threw the same questions at him; and, the professors response was this, QUOTE: An embryo in a test tube is not a person until, if and when it is implanted inside a woman's womb. It is only a human then. This is their excuse for this situation. However, If the e ...[text shortened]... kicked out. I did get a written warning; which I wiped my butt with when I ran out of toilet paper.
Interesting perspective.

What these judges do not appreciate is that most conception events do not result in a pregnancy. It's a ball of undifferentiated cells. Whether it happens in the fallopian tube or the test tube, there are many many things that often go wrong after that. Fertilization clinics have gotten very good at empirically determining whether a 64-cell embryo has the potential for life. They pick the best ones because they know that many of them have a statistically impossible chance of ever form a human.

I don't mean to sound like I'm defending fertility clinics. They do some awful things, like what they did to Octo-mom.

Breathing air and/or cognitive function are the only clear standards for life that have been around for millenia. These judges trying to change all that pretending they understand science.

w

Moves
99d
1 edit

@vivify said

Another interesting legal idea here, is that we have many people (or pieces of people) who have been frozen down in liquid nitrogen after they died.

Technically, their cells are living. Ted Williams skull still has functional neurons, and he died in 2002.

Can his relatives move Ted Williams to Alabama and cast an absentee ballot for Maryan Williamson on his behalf?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
99d
1 edit

@wildgrass said
Interesting perspective.

What these judges do not appreciate is that most conception events do not result in a pregnancy. It's a ball of undifferentiated cells. Whether it happens in the fallopian tube or the test tube, there are many many things that often go wrong after that. Fertilization clinics have gotten very good at empirically determining whether a 64-cell embry ...[text shortened]... been around for millenia. These judges trying to change all that pretending they understand science.
These judges trying to change all that pretending they understand science.
Do you notice that they only pretend to know science when it comes to abortion? Otherwise they hate science and say it is anti-God. Go figure...
Now they have even changed Bible scriptures that say a fetus is not a person at least until it is past the miscarriage stage. Looks to me like Satan is working overtime through these liar idiots.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
99d

@kingdavid403 said
Do you notice that they only pretend to know science when it comes to abortion? Otherwise they hate science and say it is anti-God. Go figure...
Now they have even changed Bible scriptures that say a fetus is not a person at least until it is past the miscarriage stage. Looks to me like Satan is working overtime through these liar idiots.
You know that satan is a mental construct and the bible is a pile of toilet paper in waiting, don’t you?

w

Moves
99d

@kingdavid403 said
The same logical framework can justify the lost potential for life in the absence of conception. Every time an egg drops, whether there's sperm in it or not, that's a human that could have been.

Thanks SCOTUS, the next few years and decades of court battles should be a blast. What a waste of resources and time for a microscopic ball of cells.

Women should absolutely start naming their eggs, buying them tiny t-shirts, and declaring them as dependents on tax forms. See what the courts do with that.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
98d
3 edits

@wildgrass said
The same logical framework can justify the lost potential for life in the absence of conception. Every time an egg drops, whether there's sperm in it or not, that's a human that could have been.

Thanks SCOTUS, the next few years and decades of court battles should be a blast. What a waste of resources and time for a microscopic ball of cells.

Women should absolutely s ...[text shortened]... them tiny t-shirts, and declaring them as dependents on tax forms. See what the courts do with that.
Exactly. Every menstrual cycle a woman has is in a sense an abortion. I've made the same point here and elsewhere in the fairly recent past. πŸ™‚ All those poor little people that could have been. It has to be in the trillions and beyond. 😒 What a joke. πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

Über-Nerd

Moves
98d
1 edit

The Alabama Supreme Court ruling is a judicial fluke. It did not come out of nowhere; it was a conclusion from some previous decisions which could (not must) have some illogical consequences. It will be corrected by legislative action.

<< Due to these post-Roe concerns, a bipartisan effort is underway in the Alabama House and Senate to draft “clarifying” legislation that would “protect” in vitro fertilization treatments following the court’s ruling, state legislative sources told CNN.

Alabama state lawmakers Thursday introduced a state bill that “would provide that any fertilized human egg or human embryo that exists outside of a human uterus is not considered an unborn child or human being for any purpose under state law.”

And in Congress, Democratic lawmakers introduced legislation last month aimed at protecting access to infertility treatments such as IVF. The Access to Family Building Act would make it a statutory right for patients to access assisted reproductive technology, continue treatments and retain authority over how sperm or egg cells are used during such treatments.>>

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/24/health/alabama-ivf-roe-v-wade/index.html

Über-Nerd

Moves
98d

@wildgrass said

Women should absolutely s ...[text shortened]... them tiny t-shirts, and declaring them as dependents on tax forms. See what the courts do with that.

Every sperm is sacred.

w

Moves
97d

@moonbus said
The Alabama Supreme Court ruling is a judicial fluke. It did not come out of nowhere; it was a conclusion from some previous decisions which could (not must) have some illogical consequences. It will be corrected by legislative action.

<< Due to these post-Roe concerns, a bipartisan effort is underway in the Alabama House and Senate to draft “clarifying” legislation that w ...[text shortened]... ng such treatments.>>

Ehh. Maybe. Even if they pass this legislation, they still have to contend at some judicial level where life begins.

Z

Moves
97d

sadly, I didn't come up with this take:

Alabama convicts 14 year old of crimes against humanity because crusty sock under his bed was declared a concentration camp

Z

Moves
96d

@zahlanzi said
sadly, I didn't come up with this take:

Alabama convicts 14 year old of crimes against humanity because crusty sock under his bed was declared a concentration camp
for those too dumb to get: it's satire

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
96d

@moonbus said

<< Due to these post-Roe concerns, a bipartisan effort is underway in the Alabama House and Senate to draft “clarifying” legislation that w ...[text shortened]... ng such treatments.>>

I have my doubts any such legislation will pass in Alabama or in any deep Red State. Evangelical Christians are committed to the "life begins at conception" belief and the Alabama's Supreme Court decision is perfectly in line with that; it repeatedly mentions "God" as part of its rationale. And:

"The 2016 National Election Pool Exit Survey had Donald Trump leading Hillary Clinton among white evangelicals by a staggering 79% to 16%. In that exit survey, white evangelicals composed 46% of Trump’s coalition compared to 9% of Clinton’s coalition."

"Different surveys yield somewhat different numbers, but the overall direction is consistent: white evangelical protestants are a major component of President Trump’s coalition. The group tends to be older, of slightly lower socioeconomic status, and concentrated in the South."

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/why-trump-is-reliant-on-white-evangelicals/

All evidence indicates those figures are at least as accurate now as they were in 2016. And while the Donald and various right wingers have come out in favor of protection of IVF recently, those types of voters aren't likely to agree.

I bet those proposals die in committee.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
96d
2 edits

@zahlanzi said
for those too dumb to get: it's satire
It’s very hard to satirise Alabama but you just about got there
He should have used tissues and flushed those little racist incels down the pan, literally a schoolboy error on his part.