Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Jan '21 07:09
    @sonhouse said
    It looks like the American experiment was just a fluke.

We are unable to govern OURSELVES much less the world and now we are reaping the result of our loss of influence.

Of course to the insurrectionist scum here at RHP and around the country, they don't give a rats ass about anything outside the US.

We stand alone now with our enemies dancing in the streets and all these scumbags hypnotized by Trump can do is scream HANG PENCE and Dems STOLE the election.
    What was the US world leader in?

Music? Well, I am an admirer of Springsteen and Waits...

Films? Pulp Fiction and The Big Lebowski (and of course Star Wars) are my favourite movies.

But other than that? What did they lead on to be proud of?

Losing wars all over the place?

Implementing regime change all over the world (with terrible consequences for local populations)?

Infusing capitalism all over world (with terrible consequences for everyone involved)?

Fast food?

Plastic tits?

What?

The US has always seemed mediocre at best.
  2. Subscriberdivegeester
    violent delights
    have violent ends
    Moves
    11 Jan '21 10:19
    @sonhouse said
    It looks like the American experiment was just a fluke.

We are unable to govern OURSELVES much less the world and now we are reaping the result of our loss of influence.

Of course to the insurrectionist scum here at RHP and around the country, they don't give a rats ass about anything outside the US.

We stand alone now with our enemies dancing in the streets and all these scumbags hypnotized by Trump can do is scream HANG PENCE and Dems STOLE the election.
    I don’t think America is a world leader, it’s just big and has lots of weapons.
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    11 Jan '21 11:48
    @divegeester said
    Yes, but that does make America a leader to those countries that are small and not well defended :-)
  4. Standard memberbadradger
    Dandy Highwayman
    the pie shop
    Moves
    11 Jan '21 12:26
    @divegeester said
    In a nut shell it lacks Class.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Jan '21 16:561 edit
    @badradger said
    In a nut shell it lacks Class.
    At this point in time there are those who lack class, I wouldn't say that about everyone in the U.S.. They will be decades trying to repair damage done if not longer as someone pointed out. As their neighbor to the North, I am saddened yet about what happened on Jan 6, 2021. 🙁

-VR
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 20:571 edit
    @shavixmir
    Well we sent a dozen folks to the moon a half century ago, even if it was planned as a publicity stunt to outdo the Soviets, it was still an outstanding achievement especially considering the rather unsophisticated tech, especially in computers ATT.
    As a former Apollo technician I can tell you there was a LOT of sophistication despite the lack of real computers.
    You have to admit those trips held the imagination of the whole planet, maybe even the Soviets.

Besides that, we invented PEANUT BUTTER🙂
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 22:051 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @shavixmir
    Well we sent a dozen folks to the moon a half century ago, even if it was planned as a publicity stunt to outdo the Soviets, it was still an outstanding achievement especially considering the rather unsophisticated tech, especially in computers ATT.
    As a former Apollo technician I can tell you there was a LOT of sophistication despite the lack of real computers. ...[text shortened]... magination of the whole planet, maybe even the Soviets.

Besides that, we invented PEANUT BUTTER🙂
    Before the Second World War, the USA was among the leaders in science and technology,
    but not THE leader. It was behind Germany or the UK in many important fields.

So what happened?
    1) Many scientists and engineers became refugees and brought their talents to the USA.
    2) The UK gave all its most advanced technology to the USA to repay Lend-Lease.
    3) The USA captured about all the most advanced German technology and
    imported many top German scientists and engineers.

The USA remains a leader in science and technology, but that's largely dependent
    upon contributions by immigrants or people who grew up in immigrant families.
    Increasing American racism and xenophobia (particularly against Asians) may lead
    to the USA losing that edge.

I don't know if China will equal or overtake the USA in general science and technology
    as early as, say, 2050, but many Americans seem to act as if it does not happen by
    2050, then it never will. The exact time year not matter that much.
    By the year 2100, barring some unforeseen catastrophe, I would expect China to
    as advanced as any other country in general science and technology.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Hispanic not Catalan
    tinyurl.com/122ayzu1
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 22:09
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Yes, but that does make America a leader to those countries that are small and not well defended :-)
    Like Iran?
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 15:27
    @sonhouse said
    The whole world is watching us and we are no longer the shining example of democracy to the world.
    Don't fool yourselves. You never were, except in countries that never had democracy to begin with.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 23:32
    @Duchess64
    We actually knew all that.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 23:39
    @sonhouse said
    @Duchess64
    We actually knew all that.
    Who's 'we'?

I believe that there are many ignorant racist jingoistic Americans who are certain that
    the USA always has led (and always will lead) the world in science and technology
    and that all US achievements are due to US-born white Americans.

To this day, it's evidently a common American racist belief that all Chinese scientists
    and engineers are (and always have been) incapable of any original or creative work.
    I expect that's what Donald Trump and most Americans close to him believe.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 01:39
    @Duchess64
    Don't include me in that cabal of idiots.
  13. Subscriberdivegeester
    violent delights
    have violent ends
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 04:16
    @earl-of-trumps said
    No, in that scenario it makes America a bully.