1. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 17:38
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    No because moving to a country and then whinning about how awful it is begs the question "then why did you come here?" or maybe "why don't you go back to where you came from?"
    I know some Apaches that would agree completely with you.
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:12
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I know some Apaches that would agree completely with you.
    most white americans today were born in the US, whats your point?
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:34
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    most white americans today were born in the US, whats your point?
    so were most black americans whats your point?
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:38
    My point is the obvious, but apparently not to you two - you are here because of immigration, same as the "legals" and "illegals".
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:46
    Originally posted by Badwater
    My point is the obvious, but apparently not to you two - you are here because of immigration, same as the "legals" and "illegals".
    wrong. illegals as you say ,is a another story all together. that is not immigration.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:47
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    so were most black americans whats your point?
    my point is that if one was born in the US he/she must be an american, regardless of whether he/she has european or african or whatever other ancestry.
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:51
    wrong. illegals as you say ,is a another story all together. that is not immigration.
    Wrong. The issue of "Legals" and "Illegals" is at the heart of immigration and pertinent to this thread. But if you've taken a mental LOA, then by all means spin your gears to your little heart's content.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:59
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposition_to_immigration#Mexico

Mexico

In Mexico, the first eight months of 2005, more than 120,000 people from Central America have been deported to their countries of origin. This is a higher number than the people deported in the same period in 2002, when 1 people were deported in the entire year.[8] Many women from Eastern Europe, Asia, United States and Central and South America are offered jobs at table dance establishments in large cities throughout the country, causing the National Institute of Migration (INM) in Mexico to raid strip clubs and deport foreigners who work without the proper documentation.[9]

Mexico has very strict laws pertaining to both illegal and legal immigrants.[10] The Mexican constitution restricts non-citizens or foreign-born persons from participating in politics, holding office, acting as a member of the clergy, or serving on the crews of Mexican-flagged ships or airplanes. Certain legal rights are waived, such as the right to a deportation hearing or other legal motions. In cases of flagrante delicto, any person may make a citizen's arrest on the offender and his accomplices, turning them over without delay to the nearest authorities.

Many immigration restrictionists in the United States have accused the Mexican government of hypocrisy in its immigration policy, noting that the Mexicans are demanding looser immigration laws in the United States while at the same time keeping tight restrictions on immigration into Mexico. The country's 1910 constitution guarantees citizens "freedom of movement".
  9. Joined
    07 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '09 14:24
    Originally posted by Cerbrus
    My objection to this, being a legal immigrant to the United States, is this:

Why is it that people who came here illegally can just get a green card while the legal immigrants have to wait, or can't get their visa extended and has to go back home?

Imagine this: you are a physicist, come here, spend night and day doing endless research, contributing to ...[text shortened]... icy decisions, this equity is often not a issue, but it does, on some level, seem unequitable.
    Very interesting that no one replied to this persons post.

Came hear legally and thinks everyone should have to come in the front door and not get a freebee, what a novel idea.

We have given amnesty in the past and said we would tighten the borders to avoid more problems, never happened.

The only way to take care of the problem is to make legal access easier and send illegals back home with a permanent denile of access. And that will not even take care of the issue.

There are many countries that have this problem as well. And many are not even as considerate as America is. There are some countries that won't even allow a person to have citizenship if they were born in that country if thier parents were illegal.
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    18 Nov '09 14:41
    You're all just full of dang.

The U.S. (wink: America is the continent) was built by immigrants who illegally stole
    the land from the natives and exterminated them.

The current illegal immigrants at least don't kill the natives. Most of them actually
    work very hard so the "older immigrants" keep punching their keyboards,
    comfortably seating on mushy seats, munching hot pockets and sipping diet coke.

It's so funny: immigrants telling other immigrants not to be immigrants 🙄
  11. Joined
    07 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '09 15:032 edits
    Originally posted by Seitse

The U.S. (wink: America is the continent) was built by immigrants who illegally stole

The current illegal immigrants at least don't kill the natives. Most of them actually
    comfortably seating on mushy ...[text shortened]... ng diet coke.

Current LEGAL immigrants are not killing natives either, at least that I know of.

Also can you tell me what laws were broken 233 yrs ago or earlier that made it illegal for immigrants to take land in the Northern Americas.

As far as I know land has been taken over across the world, by many means. Even the American Indians took land from one another. Since then there have been laws in place and as long as the current occupier can enforce those laws, than so be it.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Nov '09 16:42
    Originally posted by Seitse

comfortably seating on mushy ...[text shortened]... ng diet coke.

Yes, yes; the old "Well, your society was built on wrongs so you shouldn't make laws" argument again.

Here's the problem: It NOT 200 years ago. It's NOT 100 years ago. It's TODAY. And, today, it is the government's right and responsibility to make laws to best protect the interests of its own people. What happened 200 years ago is academic and irrelevant to the moral authority of a government to operate today.

No one is saying that illegal immigrants are bad people. But they are breaking the law. If the people put the politicians in power to make the law, then it's their responsibility to enforce the law.

Now, I understand that you can't simply expel 13 million people and for practical reasons, some version of amnesty might be the most politically and practically expedient thing to do. But don't tell me that the illegal immigrants are morally entitled to amnesty. They are not.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Nov '09 16:451 edit
    Napolitano Announces Obama Administration Plan to Give Amnesty to Illegal Aliens
    Friday, November 13, 2009
    By Penny Starr, Senior Staff Writer

(CNSNews.com) –[b]Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Friday that the Obama administration will push for “immigration reform” by giving the estimated 14 million people who are in the Unit ...[text shortened]... ep in Obamas plan to "fundamentally change America"
    Is this a good thing for the U.S. or bad?
    "fair pathway to earned legal status". [/b]

Jeez, that sounds horrible. 😵
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    18 Nov '09 16:53
    Originally posted by torch71
    Very interesting that no one replied to this persons post.

Came hear legally and thinks everyone should have to come in the front door and not get a freebee, what a novel idea.

We have given amnesty in the past and said we would tighten the borders to avoid more problems, never happened.

The only way to take care of the problem is to make legal acc ...[text shortened]... w a person to have citizenship if they were born in that country if thier parents were illegal.
    I agree - Cerbrus makes a very good point. Those people who chose to spend months or years negotiating their way through the labyrinth that is the legal immigration process probably all feel like fools.

But because it's so hard and takes so long to "get in" legally, you end up encouraging immigrants to look for every possible "shortcut". I'm sure a large percentage of illegals would have been more than willing to play by the rules, if those rules didn't seem like such a raw deal.

Another major issue is how much we're really capable of maintaining control over the immense miles of borders that the US has. Especially since we still want to allow people to come in and out as part of normal commerce, education, and tourism.

The solution is likely to involve making it MUCH easier to immigrate legally, along with very strict penalties for those coming in illegally. And since no one wants to attempt a mass deportation, we'll probably have to hold our noses and enact some kind of large-scale amnesty for the illegals who are already here.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Nov '09 17:00
    Originally posted by Palynka
    "fair pathway to earned legal status".

Jeez, that sounds horrible. 😵[/b]
    Much better to treat illegal immigrants like cattle and then be unhappy when they don't appreciate us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree