1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Jan '13 20:00
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Children have to be trained. I know country folk who have a loaded shotgun behind the kitchen door, and the kid don't consider playing with it. Kids play with stuff that is mysterious to them. Country kids get to go hunting with that same shotgun, if they leave it alone except when granted permission.

I don't know if there is any correlation between skimpy dress and rape. From time to time, I remind my 13 year old granddaughter that she may be showing a bit too much skin. She knows that I will be mentioning it to her mother, so it doesn't have to happen very often.

My comment that you quoted was regarding wardrobe choices of women who decide to carry a concealed weapon. There has to be fabric enough to cover the usual stuff, plus the weapon.

Do you see any reason besides blind fashion conformity, that middle school and high school girls dress showing a lot of cleavage, overly tight jeans, bare midriffs, or skirts which barely cover their undies? That dress is obviously to garner attention, and then they are surprised that some of that attention is more than they bargained for.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Jan '13 20:02
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I thought the Bobbys just carried night sticks over there. I can hear one saying, I do say, go ahead you punk and make my bloody day!
    Bobbys began carrying side arms about the same time as civilian possession of guns was banned.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 02:51
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Bobbys began carrying side arms about the same time as civilian possession of guns was banned.
    They must have thought the sillyvillians were better shots than the bobbys. My girlfriend wants to get another handgun while it is still possible. She has a ruger mk1 22 and shoots it well. Have to look into the para ordinance gun.
  4. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 03:28
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    It's not foolish anywhere. People behave and respond based on the expectations. If we don't expect people to behave towards people with respect then they won't.

Simply shrugging our shoulders and thinking "well, drunk men will rape women... that's just what they do! We better teach our girls to watch out because you can't expect a man to not rape you" ...[text shortened]... the primary focus on preventing rape is to focus not on the victim but the perpetrator.
    The problem with that 'wishful thinking' sort of argument is that clearly not all people behave uniformly according to expectations at all times. Many people will occasionally or routinely behave according to the loss function they perceive is associated with their actions.

If a perp perceives his chance of being apprehended is small due to the position the woman has placed herself in -- she could get raped. Suggesting that a woman not make herself an easy target is a practical observation on avoiding becoming a victim -- and does not have to be interpreted as anything other than that.

Reading into the statement an approval of rape or implication of shared blame or encouragement of violence towards women is just that -- the reader's addition.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 03:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 03:491 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    The problem with that 'wishful thinking' sort of argument is that clearly not all people behave uniformly according to expectations at all times. Many people will occasionally or routinely behave according to the loss function they perceive is associated with their actions.

If a perp perceives his chance of being apprehended is small due to the posit ...[text shortened]... hared blame or encouragement of violence towards women is just that -- the reader's addition.
    It's not a wishful thinking argument at all. I don't see how it is.

It's about not accepting the status quo of thinking that somehow it's "understandable" that a woman got raped because she accidentally wandered into the wrong neighborhood.

It's about changing attitudes so that even if someone did make themselves an "easy target" it's not their fault for being shot.

Believe it or not, but even women who don't even put themselves in risky situations that you mention in this conversation are often victims to implications that they asked for it - even going to a popular bar at night somehow is making themselves a risky target, or daring to get tipsy.

There will always be those who will rape and commit other evil acts. I'm not under any illusion that this isn't the case. That doesn't mean that we somehow let that make us blame the victim - even if the victim did make a mistake by making themselves an easy target.
  7. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 07:48
    Originally posted by normbenign
    A nice story, fits perfectly with you preferred narrative that citizens with guns can solve all crime, so that not even the police felt a need to be armed. Unfortunately, it's bunk, there is still only a limited part of the British Police force that is allowed to be armed.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 08:441 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Apparently, unless you happen to live in Japan, it is foolish.

It is totally irresponsible not to warn kids of possible dangers. And in the US, as someone with daughters, I will definitely warn them (when they are old enough) not to take certain risks like walking down a dark alley alone, etc.

As for giving drunk guys or passing strangers the 'com at out even if you "wish the world were a different place" because the world is what it is.
    There is a big difference between a parent giving their child advice about safety in public places, and a Politician making sweeping statements concerning dress codes for woman who do not want to be seen as accessories to there own rape.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 09:45
    Originally posted by Barts
    A nice story, fits perfectly with you preferred narrative that citizens with guns can solve all crime, so that not even the police felt a need to be armed. Unfortunately, it's bunk, there is still only a limited part of the British Police force that is allowed to be armed.
    Thankfully - there's some people who don't understand that their own foot isn't part of the target and they all end up in the Met.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 22:31

11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 01:13
    Originally posted by Barts
    For most of time British police (none of them) were armed.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 01:14
    You are quite right that lawyers make the argument, and sometimes juries believe and accept it.
  13. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 20:55
    We need more short skirts and high heels worn by shapley young ladies, they decorate our communities nicely!😀
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '13 23:002 edits

15. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 01:30
    If he had chosen to call her a stupid little no-talent scribbler, would that have been equally unacceptable? It is insulting, but as far as I know, we are allowed to insult each other. (Especially in these forums, but presumably in hotel bars as well.)

If he can insult her under free speech, why can't he say she has nice tits? That's not even an insult. It might be unwelcome, but not more unwelcome than a scathing insult.

In the workplace, neither the insult or the sexually explicit compliment would be acceptable because free speech is curtailed there. But at large...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree