" assault Rape survivors say they are being stigmatised for not wearing masks"

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
11 Aug 20

@kevcvs57 said
If you go down the compulsory with exemptions route your chances of close interaction with an unmasked infected individual are dramatically reduced. No one should be exempt on ideological grounds only strictly medical. But there has to be a compromise solution that allows people who cannot wear a mask to live a reasonably normal life.
Absolutely.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Aug 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Okay, what if there is never a vaccine? Is it reasonable to ask someone to spend potentially the rest of their life avoiding public places because (for whatever valid reason) they are unable to wear a face mask?

For example, a number of the clients I work with suffer with PTSD, a few of whom can't wear masks due to it triggering truly horrible memories. Is it reasonable to ask such individuals to avoid public places, potentially forever?
We'll cross that highly unlikely bridge when we come to it. Talk to me in January 2021.

For now, there is a raging pandemic and wearing a mask in public is a necessary public health measure. It should be required of everyone; your clients with PTSD are no more unlikely to get and spread COVID then anybody else.

j

Moves
11 Aug 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Well, what a surprise, I am on your side on this one. Where I live, in Melbourne Australia, masks are compulsory, and if I see someone not wearing one, yes I look but would I care, not a hoot. If you do not want to catch the damn virus, YOU wear the damn mask, YOU wash your damn hands, and YOU, stop pickin ya damn nose, and YOU are damn unlikely to get it, still scared, YOU stay home, simple.
We live in an age that we have to blame someone/anyone else for our own shortcomings.
I know it is not all as simple as this, but in the main, it is.
Also one of my Sons and my Daughter are developing skin rashes on their faces.
Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

@jimmac said
Well, what a surprise, I am on your side on this one. Where I live, in Melbourne Australia, masks are compulsory, and if I see someone not wearing one, yes I look but would I care, not a hoot. If you do not want to catch the damn virus, YOU wear the damn mask, YOU wash your damn hands, and YOU, stop pickin ya damn nose, and YOU are damn unlikely to get it, still scared, YOU st ...[text shortened]... aughter are developing skin rashes on their faces.
Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.
No ones ever going to catch shade from me for not wearing a mask.

Are people in Sweden still being forced by their government to wear masks?

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
11 Aug 20

@no1marauder said
We'll cross that highly unlikely bridge when we come to it. Talk to me in January 2021.

For now, there is a raging pandemic and wearing a mask in public is a necessary public health measure. It should be required of everyone; your clients with PTSD are no more unlikely to get and spread COVID then anybody else.
A chap was just interviewed on the news (BBC) who has mental health issues and finds wearing a mask impossible. He was challenged on the tube and when he tried to explain was told simply "'you shouldn't be allowed out."

Is that the kind of world you want to live in? Yes, we need to do what we can to protect the majority, but we need to find a way to accommodate the legitimate minority as well.

Even the law recognises exemptions.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Aug 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
A chap was just interviewed on the news (BBC) who has mental health issues and finds wearing a mask impossible. He was challenged on the tube and when he tried to explain was told simply "'you shouldn't be allowed out."

Is that the kind of world you want to live in? Yes, we need to do what we can to protect the majority, but we need to find a way to accommodate the legitimate minority as well.

It shouldn't in the middle of a deadly pandemic.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 20
8 edits

You want to know how to solve this problem...let nature take its course.

Liberals: We are destroying the planet! There are too many people using too many resources! People are going to die!

Also Liberals: Oh my... people are dying! Make it stop!!

Here is what is actually in the liberal mind: We certainly need people to die, but how are we going to claim our policies saved the human race if the human race dies before we put said policies in place!?! We cannot let nature take care of the problem for us...absolutely not!

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
11 Aug 20

@no1marauder said
It shouldn't in the middle of a deadly pandemic.
Or arguably allow exceptions on medical terms and shield those who are at high risk of death from the virus until a vaccine appears. Masks aren’t a magic bullet, are we going to make everyone wear surgical gloves to stop surface contact transmission.
Over here it’s nearly always young healthy people running around partying and shopping without masks. I think people should be issued with ‘on the spot fines’ for not wearing them but I baulk at the idea of putting a severe asthmatic under effective house arrest.

rain

Moves
11 Aug 20

@joe-shmo said
You want to know how to solve this problem...let nature take its course.
I hope your doctor says that to you one day.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

@vivify said
I hope your doctor says that to you one day.
Well thank you very much! Bless your Heart.

😆

Z

Moves
11 Aug 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said

What are you talking about? What exemptions? When is someone allowed to just break public safety rules just to make him comfortable?

"we need to find a way to accommodate the legitimate minority as well."
we do. That's why we need to assure that someone can make an income and has his groceries delivered to his house because he can't go to a supermarket without a mask. Just like everyone else.

Z

Moves
11 Aug 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
"Note that, even when some governments reject religious
exemptions from mandatory vaccinations,
they still accept exemptions when doctors attest that a vaccination
would pose an unacceptably
high risk of harm to an individual."
Not the same thing. Even if a leukemia survivor isn't vaccinated (because it might kill them) there is enough herd immunity that he can't pass the disease to many others. Covid isn't the same. There is no vaccine and there is no immunity.

To ensure as much safety for others, especially the most vulnerable of us, wear a mask in public or stay home and ask for help.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

@zahlanzi said
What are you talking about? What exemptions? When is someone allowed to just break public safety rules just to make him comfortable?
Exemptions are not about 'comfort.' Take for example somebody with serious breathing problems.

There are lots of people who have physical or mental health problems that make wearing a mask difficult or impossible. I know many. To expect such individuals to remain at home indefinitely is unreasonable.

Z

Moves
11 Aug 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Exemptions are not about 'comfort.' Take for example somebody with serious breathing problems.

There are lots of people who have physical or mental health problems that make wearing a mask difficult or impossible. I know many. To expect such individuals to remain at home indefinitely is unreasonable.
"Exemptions are not about 'comfort.' Take for example somebody with serious breathing problems."
I beg to differ. It is about their comfort. They aren't forced to wear a mask, they can stay at home. They don't want to because it's more comfortable for them to go out. If a piece of cloth makes you suffocate you should stay at home, it's not safe for you out.

There are people with homicidal urges. Is it unreasonable to expect them to be committed? Is it inhumane to protect the public from them? We might not have a cure, they may be committed indefinitely. Is it more reasonable to have them free to roam where they please, randomly endangering the safety of others?

"To expect such individuals to remain at home indefinitely is unreasonable."
But it's more reasonable to have them spread a dangerous disease for which there is barely any treatment, no vaccine, during a pandemic?

Z

Moves
11 Aug 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Before i continue any further, do you even believe masks greatly help with public safety? Maybe you think they are a placebo the government is forcing on us?