" assault Rape survivors say they are being stigmatised for not wearing masks"

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
11 Aug 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
OK, I have added it to my notes.

(1) Taiwan is that, yes, but wouldn't it be important for you to kindly include it in the domain of China? The ChiComs regularly do this with documents and even forbid international bodies to mention it or treat it as if it is a government at all.

(2) So you would deny that there were policies in China enforcing that all people wear face masks, and that people be restricted to their homes..?

You would deny that the people of Wuhan were asked to undergo severe limitations to their freedom of movement for the greater good fo the country?

Just so you can continue on this line that absolutely nothing is wrong with demanding an exemption to wearing a face mask in a store?

D

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

D

Moves
11 Aug 20

D

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
11 Aug 20

@shavixmir said
In the Netherlands a mask is only mandatory in public transport (and since last week in certain city areas during certain times).

The effectiveness of wearing the masks is even debatable.

This being said, I do agree with the general gist of what you’re saying.

The problem being, as well, that the exception Dutchess makes, is revealing medical information (even though not exact) of an individual to people who have no right to that information.
You wouldn’t need to divulge any medical history if you were issued a generic exemption card issued through by what ever medical / public health authority operates in any given country.
There are many people who struggle to wear face masks for all sorts of reasons.

S. Korea

Moves
11 Aug 20

Noted.

But

(1) How is ChiCom necessarily a pejorative? Is Chinese a pejorative? Is Communist a pejorative?

It would be much more like shorting Neo-Conservative to Neocon, or a Trump Republican to Trumplican.

That was my intent.

(2) Is Taiwan China?

Philokalia apparently loathes and cannot tolerate any China
that would be strong and dare to be independent of Western domination.

(3) This is an interesting quote...

Let's say I am a typical Neocon...

Wouldn't I believe that Taiwan is a strong, valid, independent China? Wouldn't I try to convince people that their democracy is valid and good? Wouldn't I believe that they are the legitimate China?

And if I was just some regular old conservative, wouldn't I also have some version similar to this position?

What, do you think I am literally some old premodern Imperialist Euro-type that wants to say "See?! I hate the Communists, and I also believe that Taiwan is a babe suckling on the bosom of the West!"

I do not know how you came to this conclusion.

It can only work if you think that

- I am really angry that the PRC is not under Western dominance,
- I am very meta-woke and satisfied with the ROC because I consciously acknowledge they are under my dominion

It's kind of a cool vote of confidence that I am in on the game, and I sort of appreciate that, D64, but I do not think that is what you actually intended.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
11 Aug 20

@kevcvs57 said
You wouldn’t need to divulge any medical history if you were issued a generic exemption card issued through by what ever medical / public health authority operates in any given country.
There are many people who struggle to wear face masks for all sorts of reasons.
You do realise the contradiction in your own post, don’t you?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

What if she has her weekly test on a Friday and you encounter her maskless on a Thursday? (6 days since her last test).

It's not always apparent when somebody is infected.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Aug 20

@no1marauder said
There have been 738,000 deaths due to this infectious and highly contagious disease this year with the number growing every day. Until there is a vaccine, mandatory mask wearing is an absolutely necessary public health measure. If someone for whatever reason has a problem wearing a mask, they should refrain from going into public during the duration of the pandemic. And t ...[text shortened]... son well before any symptoms manifest.

As I said, there is no "right" to spread a deadly disease.
My concern here is that we are potentially facing a situation that could last years. Is it reasonable for somebody unable to wear as mask to spend the next few years avoiding public places? Is it humane to ask them to do so?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
11 Aug 20

@shavixmir said
You do realise the contradiction in your own post, don’t you?
No shav enlighten me.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
My concern here is that we are potentially facing a situation that could last years. Is it reasonable for somebody unable to wear as mask to spend the next few years avoiding public places? Is it humane to ask them to do so?
Yes, it is reasonable. It is unreasonable to accept that some must accept a cruel and unnecessary death to accommodate others unable to wear a mask for whatever reason.

More "humane" than telling the loved ones of the inevitable dead that they were sacrificed because society didn't want to impose necessary public health measures on all.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

@no1marauder said
Yes, it is reasonable. It is unreasonable to accept that some must accept a cruel and unnecessary death to accommodate others unable to wear a mask for whatever reason.

More "humane" than telling the loved ones of the inevitable dead that they were sacrificed because society didn't want to impose necessary public health measures on all.
If you go down the compulsory with exemptions route your chances of close interaction with an unmasked infected individual are dramatically reduced. No one should be exempt on ideological grounds only strictly medical. But there has to be a compromise solution that allows people who cannot wear a mask to live a reasonably normal life.

Z

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

It's sad and a real problem. We can propose someone doing the groceries for them. We can talk about arranging home office where possible. But one doesn't get to endanger other people to feel comfortable themselves.

You go into public places, you wear a mask.

Z

Moves
11 Aug 20
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
yes. Because otherwise you endanger everyone else.

we limit liberties to ensure other people's safety all the time. If someone has homicidal urges we have them committed, we don't shrug and let the chips fall where they may because it's inhumane to deprive them of their freedom for something that isn't their fault.

if someone has severe social anxiety we don't clear out a supermarket so they could shop near as few people as possible.

Yes, do help that person live as close to normal as possible. It's not her fault she has that problem. But it's not everyone else's fault either.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Aug 20

@no1marauder said

Okay, what if there is never a vaccine? Is it reasonable to ask someone to spend potentially the rest of their life avoiding public places because (for whatever valid reason) they are unable to wear a face mask?

For example, a number of the clients I work with suffer with PTSD, a few of whom can't wear masks due to it triggering truly horrible memories. Is it reasonable to ask such individuals to avoid public places, potentially forever?