Bad economy could hurt Republicans

Bad economy could hurt Republicans

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
17 Jul 11

Are there any passably neutral estimates as to how high unemployment in the U.S. might have gone in 2008-2009 if there had been no stimulus schemes?

Hy-Brasil

Moves
17 Jul 11

Originally posted by badmoon
The Weekly Standard? Give me a break. If you think that Krystal is a quotable source you have some real problems.
Yes the weekly standard. highly respected.
Besides that I have the white house link with the report, if that floats your boat.

Btw, how is that heat wave going over there?

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
17 Jul 11

Originally posted by utherpendragon
I would of preferred a $100,000 check to every one. Think that would of stimulated they economy ? Hell ya.
It got me a new car. Hepled the Korean economy.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
17 Jul 11

Yes the weekly standard. highly respected.
Besides that I have the white house link with the report, if that floats your boat.

Btw, how is that heat wave going over there?
The usual June - Sept hell. But I am firmly rooted with three children and two grandchildren near by. But Flagstaff is not a long drive away, neither is Vegas if I want to lose my mind.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
17 Jul 11
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey

Ben Barnanke recently said that if the high US budget deficits are not curbed, the economy would slow and interest rates would go up. However, if the US defaults because Congress and the President refuse to agree on addressing the situation the same will happen.

That’s exactly why the U.S. should aim for a mid-range solution. Of course the U.S. shouldn’t simply raise the debt ceiling indefinitely so that its economy can die a slow death, but that doesn’t mean it should let itself crash and burn in 17 days, either.

I am not hanging anything on Obama [...] I have in the past dismissed those that say the President has any power to jump start the economy.

Speaking of playing both sides of the argument... that’s rich. You’ve criticized him left and right for everything from unemployment to the deficit to high gas prices, and now you’re running away from your criticisms of him because he never had any power to begin with?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
17 Jul 11

Debunked by who? You? Where is your data to support your claim?

Originally posted by wittywonka

http://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/2011/jul/15/john-boehner/house-speaker-john-boehner-says-obamas-economists-/

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Jul 11

[b]Debunked by who ? You ? Where is your data to support your claim ?

“Seventh Quarterly Report”released on Friday, July 1 2011

The report was written by the White House’s Council of Economic Advisors, a group of three economists who were all handpicked by Obama, and it chronicles the alleged success of the “stimulus” in addin ...[text shortened]... ob_576014.html

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/cea_7th_arra_report.pdf
[/b]
That article must have been written by a statistical ignoramus. Data showing that the stimulus added 2.7 million jobs to the economy up to 6 months ago and 2.4 million since then certainly doesn't show that if there had been no stimulus the economy would have added 300,000 more jobs in the last six months. It shows that absent the stimulus there'd be 2.4 million less jobs.

g

Pepperland

Moves
17 Jul 11

Originally posted by generalissimo
[b]You wrote about utherpendragon and whodey's "uncritical adoration of the GOP" on the previous page
Oh good to see you're not employing any supernatural powers, you're suggestion that I dropped this charge did for a second make me think otherwise.

It's just not true
What other alternative explanations do you have for whodey's and uthe ...[text shortened]... hink our exchange only casts doubts over your intellectual honesty, nothing else.[/b]
Originally posted by generalissimo
What other alternative explanations do you have for whodey's and uther's reluctance to hold republicans in Congress accountable for their stalling tactics, their refusal to consider tax increases, their overall hostility to Obama, etc, in addition of course to whodey's and uther's tendency to shift all the blame for the deficit to the Obama adminstration despite all the spending that took place under Bush's administration, including the initial stimulus spending?

BUMP

w

Moves
17 Jul 11

Originally posted by wittywonka

Speaking of playing both sides of the argument... that’s rich. You’ve criticized him left and right for everything from unemployment to the deficit to high gas prices, and now you’re running away from your criticisms of him because he never had any power to begin with?
Government can't fix the economy, they can only impede it.

Moves
17 Jul 11

It's a nice saying for free market ideology, but it's not true. Government can, and often does, fix economies. Certain people don't like it nor the implications, but that's the practical reality.

w

Moves
17 Jul 11

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
I think it's very evident that Whodey and Uther are both right wing partisans, especially Uther who's famous for repeating Republican buzz phrases verbatim - i.e. "lame stream media", "tax & spend", etc.
Partisan? I, as well as Uther, are critical of both the GOP and the Dems. You, on the other hand, would lead us to believe that the Dems are the best thing since sliced bread and that all our troubles would be solved if the GOP simply went away.

w

Moves
17 Jul 11

Originally posted by Kunsoo
It's a nice saying for free market ideology, but it's not true. Government can, and often does, fix economies. Certain people don't like it nor the implications, but that's the practical reality.
What does the government produce? What does it sell?

g

Pepperland

Moves
17 Jul 11

Originally posted by FMF
I don't really get why generalissimo thought he was enhancing his point by making the claim about specific "right wingers" posters when it clearly isn't true. Mind you, slapping highly generalized strawmen positions onto "opponents" in fits of hyperbole is something that whodey and utherpendragon tend to do too. People can surely oppose Obama without having heaps of inaccurate or deceitful adjectives shovelled onto them?
Well, at least now you will hopefully think twice before decorating your prose with terms such as ad hominems, just for effect, even when they don't really belong there.

Moves
17 Jul 11

What does the government produce? What does it sell?
Infrastructure primarily, but also power, health care, roads, parks, research & development, consumer protection services, police protection, fire and injury protection, conflict resolution services, etc. - all goods and services some of which is counted towards GDP, and some of which is arbitrarily excluded due to free market ideology.

But that's not how a government fixes an economy. It fixes an economy with monetary and fiscal policy.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
17 Jul 11

You're still playing both sides.

But that's your problem.