1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 05:02
    There is a debate in the SPORTS Forum regarding pitchers wearing helmets after a 12 year-old was killed by a baseball to the head.

That's one death .

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children-and-guns-the-hidden-toll.html?_r=0
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 08:38
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    There is a debate in the SPORTS Forum regarding pitchers wearing helmets after a 12 year-old was killed by a baseball to the head.

That's one death .

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children-and-guns-the-hidden-toll.html?_r=0
    "Children shot accidentally — usually by other children — are collateral casualties of the accessibility of guns in America, their deaths all the more devastating for being eminently preventable."

let's not kid ourselves. these deaths occurred because the parents were irresponsible retards. all the examples have shown parents who displayed gross negligence. "giving a gun to 11 year old to scare coyotes, i thought i took all the bullets out".

i am all for gun control. i find people who want to buy guns without background checks and waiting periods dangerous and irresponsible and i am glad europeans are not like that. i find it utterly stupid that you must go to driving school and pass an exam (which is very logical) but americans want to pass guns around like candy.

these however are cases of people unfit to be parents being moronic. and i very much fear that those kids would have died in other ways had guns not been involved.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 08:42
    where does baseball come in?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 10:36
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    where does baseball come in?
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Helmets_for_pitchers%3F&threadid=158452
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 11:46
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Helmets_for_pitchers%3F&threadid=158452
    i understand the guns argument. i understand baseball players wearing helmets to protect themselves from rock hard balls flying at more than 100km/hour.

i do not understand where is the connection between them.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 12:50

That's one death .

While it is true that we might be able to make an over all larger difference in safety by gun control than by having pitchers where helmets, it does not mean that we should not consider whether the use of protective equipment can make sports safer.
  7. Joined
    21 Jan '14
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 14:06

That's one death .

For every child's death caused by guns, I could show you 2 caused by cars.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 14:31
    Originally posted by HarrisonBergeron
    For every child's death caused by guns, I could show you 2 caused by cars.
    and we have laws concerning cars.

we have driving schools
    we have exams to get driving licenses
    we limit the age of people that can drive
    we have traffic laws
    we limit what you can drive (you can't drive a tank on a public road)
    we have safety regulations concerning how cars are built

and finally, if you drive recklessly, a cop may revoke your license. and nobody screams that a fundamental right has been violated.

all the above can be applied to guns. and civilized countries do in fact apply some. why doesn't the US?
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:49

we have driving schools
    we have traffic laws

and finally, if you drive recklessly, a cop may revoke your ...[text shortened]... above can be applied to guns. and civilized countries do in fact apply some. why doesn't the US?
    i would also add that there are rules and regulations to that car designers have to adhere to regarding safety. most cars are stuffed with technology that tries to save human lives..............where as gun designers are trying to do the opposite.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 00:34

That's one death .

There is almost no doubt that safety equipment minimizes injuries and deaths, but nothing makes anything totally safe.

My experience tells me that kids trained from a young age on the use of guns, and safety rules on using them, end up far safer than urban kids who are shielded from learning about guns. They get their gun knowledge from gang banger criminals, instead of responsible parents.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 00:39
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    i would also add that there are rules and regulations to that car designers have to adhere to regarding safety. most cars are stuffed with technology that tries to save human lives..............where as gun designers are trying to do the opposite.
    Not true. The 1911 .45 ACP pistol has numerous safety features to prevent accidental discharges. One is the grip safety, which allows the gun to be fired only if a human hand is gripping it properly. It will not fire if a round isn't chambered, and the positive safety locks the slide in place even if the hammer is cocked on a loaded chamber (known as condition one). That is a pistol designed 100 years ago.

You really ought to read any firearms manual.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 00:41

we have driving schools
    we have traffic laws

and finally, if you drive recklessly, a cop may revoke your ...[text shortened]... above can be applied to guns. and civilized countries do in fact apply some. why doesn't the US?
    Cops don't have the authority to revoke licenses.

All of the rules on driving are usually applied to gun owners, in fact usually more strictly.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 00:41
    i understand the guns argument. i understand baseball players wearing helmets to protect themselves from rock hard balls flying at more than 100km/hour.

i do not understand where is the connection between them.
    There isn't any.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 03:19
    Originally posted by normbenign
    There isn't any.
    Try harder.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 03:35
    Soldiers wear helmets too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree