1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 02:07
    Forest fires are caused by a lot of different things, mostly from lightning and careless people who play with fire. Despite the known causes of forest fires there are lots of very stupid people who blame it on global warming.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160308105625.htm

Global warming leads to a general increase in rainfall. The assertion that a warmer planet leads to more droughts is false. It is a myth.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 02:10
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Forest fires are caused by a lot of different things, mostly from lightning and careless people who play with fire. Despite the known causes of forest fires there are lots of very stupid people who blame it on global warming.

Global warming leads to a general increase in rainfall. The assertion that a warmer planet leads to more droughts is false. It is a myth.
    Over 90% of wildfires are caused by humans.

I don't know what you're talking about, and I suspect that you don't either.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 02:19
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Over 90% of wildfires are caused by humans.

I don't know what you're talking about, and I suspect that you don't either.
    Thanks for helping me prove my point. It isn't caused by global warming. It is mostly caused by people playing with fire.

Yes, the news media is stupid for blaming it on global warming. They need to be called on it.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 04:29

And you think the rain will conveniently fall on the fires? 😕
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 06:07
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    And you think the rain will conveniently fall on the fires? 😕
    Stupid comment.
    What caused the fire? There is no fire to put out if it never starts.

They keep repeating the same nonsense. A warmer climate means it will dry out faster is what they say. They ignore the increase of rain and blame it on a temperature rise that is so small from year to year that it is idiotic to even suggest it.

More people means more stupid people playing with fire. It makes more sense to blame it on population increase. Blaming it on global warming is the most stupid assertion I have heard in a long time. Only the most ignorant people believe such nonsense.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 09:05

it's funny that all those "stupid people" are scientists; climatologists, geologists, etc. And all the smart people that have deduced it's "mostly from lightning and careless people who play with fire" are anything other than.

i wonder who knows more about this subject, Candace Owen and some republican senator bought by the oil industry or a science boi? we should give both sides equal coverage and let them debate it out. Everyone wins when scientists have to convince idiots that the science checks out.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 09:33
    A warmer climate means it will dry out faster is what they say.
    Blaming it on global warming is the most stupid assertion I have heard
    in a long time. Only the most ignorant people believe such nonsense.
    mmm
    You need to educate those ignorant people in your lectures.
    You do lecture don't you? What university?

And you still need to show us how the extra rainfall targets potential wildfire sites.
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 12:50

I didn't bother opening your link
    For every theory, there will be a counter theory.

Weather patterns will be altered by changing changing global temperatures.
    I don't think any one person has this completely nailed down.

But the severity of the fires is the prime focus in the media today.
    Not the frequency.

A simple observation.
    Drop a lot cigarette in a forest that hasn't seen rain in 2 months.
    And run !!!
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 14:02
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    it's funny that all those "stupid people" are scientists; climatologists, geologists, etc. And all the smart people that have deduced it's "mostly from lightning and careless people who play with fire" are anything other than.

i wonder who knows more about this subject, Candace Owen and some republican senator bought by the oil industry or a science ...[text shortened]... ate it out. Everyone wins when scientists have to convince idiots that the science checks out.
    The science daily link does not convince you? Isn't that article written by scientists?
    You are contradicting yourself by dismissing the very people you say are qualified.

"we should give both sides equal coverage and let them debate it out."

I agree completely. Why is it that the corporate news media will not do that? Are they afraid of how the debate will end?

Just look into the Pliocene Epoch. Lots of rain!
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 14:051 edit
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    I didn't bother opening your link
    For every theory, there will be a counter theory.

Weather patterns will be altered by changing changing global temperatures.
    I don't think any one person has this completely nailed down.

But the severity of the fires is the prime focus in the media today.
    Not the frequency.

A simple observation.
    Drop a lot cigarette in a forest that hasn't seen rain in 2 months.
    And run !!!
    One dry summer is your evidence? That is called weather. Let me know when you know the difference between weather and climate.

What counter theory? Show me your source of info if you have so much faith in it.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 14:08
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    mmm
    You need to educate those ignorant people in your lectures.
    You do lecture don't you? What university?

And you still need to show us how the extra rainfall targets potential wildfire sites.
    Who ever suggested that rain has to fall on forest fires? Oh, you did!
    Did you lecture people at a university about it? What university?

Look up Pliocene.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 14:31
    "On May 10, Canadian environmental scientist Blair King took to Huffington Post Canada’s blog to call out journalists for “not really listening” to what experts said caused the wildfire. King also criticized journalists for “just looking for quotes to insert into articles that simply reinforced their pre-existing biases.”

According to King, the Fort McMurray fire was so severe thanks to “the effects of El Nino and historic forest management decisions.”

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/business/alatheia-nielsen/2016/05/12/environmental-scientist-blasts-media-attempts-link-fort
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 17:55

Increased rainfall in New Orleans does not help when California is on fire.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 20:27
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    Increased rainfall in New Orleans does not help when California is on fire.
    According to King, the Fort McMurray fire was so severe thanks to “the effects of El Nino and historic forest management decisions.”

One summer is NOT evidence it is caused by global warming. Learn the difference between weather and climate and get back to me.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 21:22
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_temperature_record

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree