1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 17:38
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    But The Guardian says up to 45 million.

'The famine that killed up to 45 million people remains a taboo subject in China 50 years on. Author Yang Jisheng is determined to change that with his book, Tombstone.'

A decade after the Communist party took power in 1949, promising to serve the people, the greatest manmade disaster in history stalks an already impoverished land. In an unremarkable city in central Henan province, more than a million people – one in eight – are wiped out by starvation and brutality over three short years. In one area, officials commandeer more grain than the farmers have actually grown. In barely nine months, more than 12,000 people – a third of the inhabitants – die in a single commune; a tenth of its households are wiped out. Thirteen children beg officials for food and are dragged deep into the mountains, where they die from exposure and starvation. A teenage orphan kills and eats her four-year-old brother. Forty-four of a village's 45 inhabitants die; the last remaining resident, a woman in her 60s, goes insane. Others are tortured, beaten or buried alive for declaring realistic harvests, refusing to hand over what little food they have, stealing scraps or simply angering officials.

When the head of a production brigade dares to state the obvious – that there is no food – a leader warns him: "That's right-deviationist thinking. You're viewing the problem in an overly simplistic matter."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jan/01/china-great-famine-book-tombstone
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 19:30
    @Duchess64 -

Note that the extremely arrogant and ignorant Vivify presumes to lecture me on Chinese history.

Yes, it's obvious you are in more dire need to be lectured about being congenial.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 19:306 edits
    This is important context you leave out when attacking Taiwan for the actions of the KMT, a party that originated in China and still shows loyalty to them. That same party which originated in *China* that brought the White Terror on Taiwan's citizens.

Now here you are criticizing Taiwan for the actions of a historically Chinese party. This is disgusting dishonesty.

In an earlier thread, Vivify absurdly decided to blame China's government or the Communist Party completely for the KMT's many brutal crimes in Taiwan.

False. In that thread I gave several examples of China's government terrorizing and oppressing it's own citizens, of which the KMT was just one example. I think I also mentioned the Great Leap Forward, among other instances of the Chinese government's oppression.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 20:30
    @Duchess64
    Nice sidestep. You don't want to talk about the millions killed in China.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 23:241 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 23:383 edits

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 23:43

8. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 23:45
    This post has absolutely no relationship with the stated header.
    It is an ailing attempt (optimally) by Duchess64 to obfuscate her untenable debating position.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 23:47
    @Duchess64
    Introducing strawman arguments. The piece is about Hong Kong, not UK war crimes. Are there murders as bad as the ones in Kenya, in Hong Kong? I was curious. I have not followed much of that.
    Of course that makes me a useless American flagwaver but that is another story.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:192 edits

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:22

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:29

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:32

14. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 00:33
    Note that Duchess64 deflects from the actual events of Hong Kong to talk about things happening in ... Kenya.

It is like she is entirely incapable of focusing on any single topic.

This is likely because the only way that the Chinese Communist Party actions can be described is indefensible.

Would Duchess64 appreciate it if her Chinese Communist Party friends found out how poorly she defends the Chinese Communist Party policy, trying to shy away from defending it directly? I think not.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 01:28

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree