Clarence Thomas:

Clarence Thomas: "Reconsider" Gay Marriage

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
25 Jun 22

@wildgrass said
Interesting choice to not include interracial marriage in the list of things he wants outlawed.
I think Thomas knows it is quite possible to be brought up, yes. then it becomes a state legislature issue

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
25 Jun 22

@vivify said
The Constitution also says nothing about handguns, automatic weapons, etc. It says "right to bear arms" not "right to bear any arms".

By Mott's logic, it should be legal to ban any type of firearm so long as access to at least one type remains.
And you may very well have a point

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Jun 22

@earl-of-trumps said
well done, @Mott

this is why gay rights, trans rights etc. cannot be adjudicated at the SJC level, those issues are not covered in the constitution

I wish the slo-mos would try to understand
Those aren't "powers"; those are "rights" and what does the Ninth Amendment say?

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

This is a direct refutation of Mott's and your claim that State legislatures can do virtually anything they please except what the Constitution explicitly forbids them to do.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
25 Jun 22

@no1marauder said
And what do you think would happen then?
Same as with abortion. Some states will make it legal, others will ban. Maybe a drive to make an amendment will happen

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
25 Jun 22
1 edit

@no1marauder said
Those aren't "powers"; those are "rights" and what does the Ninth Amendment say?

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

This is a direct refutation of Mott's and your claim that State legislatures can do virtually anything they please except what the Constitution explicitly forbids them to do.
perhaps, but I believe those rights must be mentioned

PS how'd the right to not be a slave do for Dred Scott

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Jun 22
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
perhaps, but I believe those rights must be mentioned

PS how'd the right to not be a slave do for Dred Scott
Your belief is directly contradicted by the words of the Ninth Amendment.

Dred Scott was an erroneous decision soon corrected.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Jun 22

@earl-of-trumps said
Same as with abortion. Some states will make it legal, others will ban. Maybe a drive to make an amendment will happen
I thought you described yourself as a "libertarian". You surely must be aware that the libertarian concept of self-ownership is central to that philosophy while the idea of "State's rights" is not.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Jun 22
1 edit

@no1marauder
He is a LINO.

Moves
25 Jun 22

@vivify said
The Constitution also says nothing about handguns, automatic weapons, etc. It says "right to bear arms" not "right to bear any arms".

By Mott's logic, it should be legal to ban any type of firearm so long as access to at least one type remains.
dumbass…” right to bear arms” plural, no limitations…the RIGHT to bear arms

Moves
25 Jun 22

@no1marauder said
I thought you described yourself as a "libertarian". You surely must be aware that the libertarian concept of self-ownership is central to that philosophy while the idea of "State's rights" is not.
LOL so you think you can tell another how they believe? LMFAO

Moves
25 Jun 22

@no1marauder said
Your belief is directly contradicted by the words of the Ninth Amendment.

Dred Scott was an erroneous decision soon corrected.
as was abortion rights

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Jun 22
1 edit

@Mott-The-Hoople
You are one of those who wants their women to be barefoot and pregnant and forget about getting a college education and becoming an engineer or doctor.

Like the Peggy Seeger song, 'I was going to be an engineer' which I am 100% sure you never heard of either Peggy or I was going to be an engineer.

Recent studies have shown even in STEM fields if a woman's name is on a paper it is less likely to be published. And of course you could care less about THAT either.

Moves
25 Jun 22

@no1marauder said

umm, yes they can. states can make laws as they please as ling as they dont violate laws laid out in the US constitution

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Jun 22

@Mott-The-Hoople
You are REALLY dense. He just SAID that. You prove you have limited powers to understand what is typed. Learn to read.

Moves
25 Jun 22

@sonhouse said
@Mott-The-Hoople
You are one of those who wants their women to be barefoot and pregnant and forget about getting a college education and becoming an engineer or doctor.

Like the Peggy Seeger song, 'I was going to be an engineer' which I am 100% sure you never heard of either Peggy or I was going to be an engineer.

Recent studies have shown even in STEM fields if a wom ...[text shortened]... s on a paper it is less likely to be published. And of course you could care less about THAT either.
WTF? I pity you