Collective rights

Collective rights

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
19 Apr 13

In this era of collectivism of Obama and company, what exactly are our collective rights? I know what my individual rights are that are covered by the Bill of Rights, but what are my collective rights?

It seems to me that there are no collective rights, much in the same sense that corporations should not be treated like individuals. What concerns me though is the constant move towards collectivism, while watching our individual rights vanish in the process. What are we becoming?

F

Moves
19 Apr 13

Originally posted by whodey
In this era of collectivism of Obama and company, what exactly are our collective rights? I know what my individual rights are that are covered by the Bill of Rights, but what are my collective rights?

It seems to me that there are no collective rights, much in the same sense that corporations should not be treated like individuals. What concerns me thou ...[text shortened]... collectivism, while watching our individual rights vanish in the process. What are we becoming?
Perhaps you could kick this discussion off properly by listing some of the individual rights covered by the Bill of Rights that have vanished "in this era of collectivism of Obama and company".

w

Moves
19 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Perhaps you could kick this discussion off properly by listing some of the individual rights covered by the Bill of Rights that have vanished "in this era of collectivism of Obama and company".
The passage of the NDAA. The governemnt now has the right to detain me without due process, even though it has not been used as of yet.

F

Moves
19 Apr 13

Originally posted by whodey
The passage of the NDAA. The governemnt now has the right to detain me without due process, even though it has not been used as of yet.
So that's one. What are the others?

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
19 Apr 13

I think a better summation of the liberal position that Obama champions is the abandonment of individual rights for the good of the collective. And of that summation, there can be no doubt that that is precisely how he, this idiot from Auburn University, and the rest of their ilk feel. They have stated as much.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
19 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
And here's a little lesson for you, you obstreperous commie - governments do not grant rights. Governments cannot grant rights. Everyone is born with sovereign, sacrosanct rights that are inseparable from them. Government exists solely to preserve those rights - not to take them away.

F

Moves
19 Apr 13

Originally posted by sasquatch672
I think a better summation of the liberal position that Obama champions is the abandonment of individual rights for the good of the collective. And of that summation, there can be no doubt that that is precisely how he, this idiot from Auburn University, and the rest of their ilk feel. They have stated as much.
Obama champions the abandonment of individual rights?

F

Moves
19 Apr 13

...governments do not grant rights. Governments cannot grant rights. Everyone is born with sovereign, sacrosanct rights that are inseparable from them. Government exists solely to preserve those rights - not to take them away.
These assertions of yours did not apply to people arrested or captured in the so-called War On Terror. If those prisoners were born with sovereign, sacrosanct rights that are inseparable from them, as you claim, I don't recall your government recognizing those rights that you say "everyone" has. More to the point here, I haven't heard any criticism from either you or whodey towards your own government on this matter. If you were consistent then you would be more convincing.

rain

Moves
19 Apr 13
1 edit

you obstreperous commie
lmfao. most awesome name-calling ever.

F

Moves
19 Apr 13

Originally posted by vivify
lmfao. most awesome name-calling ever.
By saying "commie" I take it he's calling me a "communist"? How is that "awesome"? 🙂

rain

Moves
19 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
By saying "commie" I take it he's calling me a "communist"? How is that "awesome"? 🙂
It's awesomely random and unexpected. I'm not attesting to its accuracy in any way, but just a combination of words I wouldn't ever expect to see. Just the geek in me appreciating creative rhetoric.

rain

Moves
19 Apr 13

You know, it's what Joe Byser tries so hard to accomplish.

Planet Rain

Moves
19 Apr 13

It's awesomely random and unexpected. I'm not attesting to its accuracy in any way, but just a combination of words I wouldn't ever expect to see. Just the geek in me appreciating creative rhetoric.
Sasquatch is a vituperative ninny who sometimes takes a page from a thesaurus when the toilet paper runs out.

rain

Moves
19 Apr 13

vituperative ninny...nice.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
19 Apr 13
1 edit

Sasquatch672 calling someone a commie, or a libtard, or a leftie, is "awesomely random and unexpected" ? Did you see the news today, apparently someone, somewhere got killed. 😲