1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:21
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Man has always been " religious".
    Mans "natural state" as you put it ,is spiritual in nature.
    Perhaps. But available evidence strongly suggests that Man's first spiritual beliefs lacked the type of Gods that have become the main feature of the predominant (in the West) religions today.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:23
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Loving your nieghbour as you love yourself simply because they are your neighbour has never, ever been a natural attribute, nor is it a desirable or sustainable attribute. Anyone that puts there fellow mans attainment of happiness, wellbeing etc on the same level as their own is doomed to a life of:

-misery. The ideal can never be realised which leads to
    -dishonesty i.e. lying to one self, which leads to
    -insanity.
    People are, in general, genetically predisposed to be more compassionate to neighbours (especially if they look and behave alike) than to random strangers, however not quite "on the same level".
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:231 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's always amusing to read religious nuts rant about the failure of human reason while they are typing away at their computer.

Virtually all of Man's "failures" were caused by an abandonment of Reason often because of an irrational belief in an anthromorphic God.....
    I thought this was the wrap that was a rap, but I do get things monumentally confused sometimes....
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:34
    Loving your nieghbour as you love yourself simply because they are your neighbour has never, ever been a natural attribute, nor is it a desirable or sustainable attribute. Anyone that puts there fellow mans attainment of happiness, wellbeing etc on the same level as their own is doomed to a life of:

-misery. The ideal can never be realised which leads to
    -dishonesty i.e. lying to one self, which leads to
    -insanity.
    Unfortunately for you, human existence disproves such Randian claims every day. Without a strong altruistic streak as part of our social nature, Man would have went extinct long ago.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:39
    Unfortunately for you, human existence disproves such Randian claims every day. Without a strong altruistic streak as part of our social nature, Man would have went extinct long ago.
    Wadda dodge, go on admit it D people do not love their neighbours as they do themselves. People look out for the next guy when it is in their own best interests to do so not vice versa.
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:43
    Wadda dodge, go on admit it D people do not love their neighbours as they do themselves. People look out for the next guy when it is in their own best interests to do so not vice versa.
    A Randian nursing home....welcome....Dr Kervorkian will see you to your rooms....
  7. Germany
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:43
    Some people are actually born without an empathy disorder.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:49
    Originally posted by kmax87
    A Randian nursing home....welcome....Dr Kervorkian will see you to your rooms....
    Typical kmax, tries to disguise lack-wit with obscure tangental references.

Doesn't work!
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:49
    Tell that to Matt Croucher: http://gimundo.com/news/article/soldier-dives-onto-live-grenade-to-save-his-fellow-troops/
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:50
    Tell that to Matt Croucher: http://gimundo.com/news/article/soldier-dives-onto-live-grenade-to-save-his-fellow-troops/
    That's 1 in 6 500 000 000, you got a lonnnnggggggggg way to go.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:55
    Any rate you don't believe people can act benevolently of their own volition, why aren't you calling for a regulation that all soldiers should dive on live grenades.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:56
    That's 1 in 6 500 000 000, you got a lonnnnggggggggg way to go.
    Such acts, usually in less extreme form, are performed every day by virtually every human. If you've opened a door for someone or given up your seat on a bus to someone else, you've engaged in behavior that refutes the assertion Wajoma made in his post.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 14:59
    Such acts, usually in less extreme form, are performed every day by virtually every human. If you've opened a door for someone or given up your seat on a bus to someone else, you've engaged in behavior that refutes the assertion Wajoma made in his post.
    It's probably safe to say that Wajoma has some form of autism.
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 15:001 edit
    I do those things and others because of how they make me feel, thus it is not altruistic.

Edit: ...and generally I expect something in return in the order of aknowledgement i.e. a smile or 'thank you' if that aknowledgement is not forthcoming then that person is not likely to receive the same coutesy next time. A tr4ade is made, not an altruistiuc sacrifice.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 15:12
    I do those things and others because of how they make me feel, thus it is not altruistic.
    That's how you and other humans evolved: to feel better when you do things for other humans even if the doing of said thing is of no tangible benefit to you. That is altruism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree