1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    27 Oct '22 18:06
    @metal-brain said
    According to the WSJ: “Billionaires Try to Shrink World’s Population”.
    Among the participants were the late David Rockefeller, Warren Buffett, George Soros, Michael Bloomberg Ted Turner, Oprah Winfrey and many more.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/secret-may-2009-meeting-of-the-good-club-billionaire-club-in-bid-to-curb-overpopulation/5742626

When billionaires sa ...[text shortened]... sly. That means don't falsely call it a conspiracy theory just because you don't want to believe it.
    You are a frustrating amalgam of far-left progressivism, which I appreciate, and misinformed dumbth to the nth degree, which is less nice.

You say many things that sound as if coming straight from the pages of the wise and esteemed Noam Chomsky, which I appreciate; but it's leavened with home-brewed conspiratorial mumbo-jumbo that makes my brain vomit.

Many things you perceive to be conspiracies are really phenomena governed by the dynamics of complex societies, and not some Star Chamber of Illuminati who have the world in the palm of their hand.

From science to politics to medicine to what-have-you, you perceive conspiracies everywhere, and you certainly have picked your favorites. Or had others running dodgy websites pick them for you.

I cannot prescribe a remedy. You are so far down the rabbit hole as to seem irretrievable.

Anyway, to the topic at hand, it would be a grand thing if the human population were to shrink -- through natural attrition -- to about one billion total. It would solve so many of the world's ills.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '22 21:24
    @athousandyoung said
    It’s a well known observed fact that child mortality and fertility in a population are correlated. When child mortality goes down so does the rate of childbirth.
    Yes, but is that a direct or indirect causation? You are saying the less children that die the less people have children. I say that is not a direct causation. Lifting people out of poverty is the direct cause. Children have a better chance of living if they are not in poverty. Lifting people out of poverty reduces the population growth.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Oct '22 00:441 edit
    @jj-adams said
    8 billion people is 8X too many, I'm with the billionaires on this one.
    It's population growth that drives all of our world environmental problems, as well as our social ones.
    I agree, the present population is unsustainable, socially, politically, ecologically. Population reduction is not only laudable, it is inevitable. The only question is: will it come about sanely and humanely, by design, or through famine, pestilence, war, and frenzy ?
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '22 07:12
    @moonbus said
    I agree, the present population is unsustainable, socially, politically, ecologically. Population reduction is not only laudable, it is inevitable. The only question is: will it come about sanely and humanely, by design, or through famine, pestilence, war, and frenzy ?
    What is your source of information?

People are already having less children in the western world. It is already coming about.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53409521
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '22 00:57
    @moonbus said
    Do you want sterilization like Abraham Myerson?
    Are you a eugenicist?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1950/11/sterilization/639980/
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Oct '22 03:00
    @metal-brain said

People are already having less children in the western world. It is already coming about.

From your BBC link:

“It has nothing to do with sperm counts or the usual things that come to mind when discussing fertility.
    “Instead it is being driven by more women in education and work, as well as greater access to contraception, leading to women choosing to have fewer children.
    “In many ways, falling fertility rates are a success story.”

Choice.
    People are choosing to have less kids. Start having families at a later age, etc.

There is no master-mind plot. It’s just individuals wanting less kids.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Oct '22 14:36
    @metal-brain said

World Population is rising, only locally is it falling in some places.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Oct '22 14:38
    @metal-brain said
    Do you want sterilization like Abraham Myerson?
    Are you a eugenicist?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1950/11/sterilization/639980/
    I want there to be fewer people by sane and humane design, rather than by famine, pestilence, war, and/or frenzy.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '22 01:03
    @shavixmir said
    From your BBC link:

“It has nothing to do with sperm counts or the usual things that come to mind when discussing fertility.
    “Instead it is being driven by more women in education and work, as well as greater access to contraception, leading to women choosing to have fewer children.
    “In many ways, falling fertility rates are a success story.”

Choice.
    People are cho ...[text shortened]... ilies at a later age, etc.

There is no master-mind plot. It’s just individuals wanting less kids.
    Then there is no over population problem.
    People that want to depopulate the world are stupid, right? It is already happening and Bill Gates and the Rockefellers are idiots. They are like wealthy apes that want to be like nazis to feel like gods. If they really wanted depopulation they would de-impoverish the world, yet no sign of them doing that.

Isn't their real goal to de populate without de-impoverishment? How much philanthropy have they (Bill Gates and the Rockefellers) really done in terms of percentage of wealth?
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Oct '22 02:58
    @metal-brain said
    Then there is no over population problem.
    People that want to depopulate the world are stupid, right? It is already happening and Bill Gates and the Rockefellers are idiots. They are like wealthy apes that want to be like nazis to feel like gods. If they really wanted depopulation they would de-impoverish the world, yet no sign of them doing that.

Isn't their real go ...[text shortened]... ilanthropy have they (Bill Gates and the Rockefellers) really done in terms of percentage of wealth?
    Whatever you’re talking about regarding Bill Gates, it makes no sense; redistribution of a few billionaires’ fortunes isn’t going to reduce over-population.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '22 09:03
    @moonbus said
    Whatever you’re talking about regarding Bill Gates, it makes no sense; redistribution of a few billionaires’ fortunes isn’t going to reduce over-population.
    How much philanthropy have they (Bill Gates and the Rockefellers) really done in terms of percentage of wealth?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Oct '22 22:41
    @Metal-Brain
    So you can't figure out how many acres it would take to sustain a human? Turns out to be about 10 acres per person, this is not rocket science.

So we need 80 BILLION acres to sustain 8 billion people.
    And there are only about 120 billion acres of land mass on the whole planet.

That says a lot right there.

We need to have LESS than a billion humans on Earth and not reduced by world war 3.

And OF COURSE you would put words in my mouth like I am condoning mass killings by the billions. They already tried that in China and they are STILL around a billion population. Same thing in Russia, all those 30+ million killed of their own folks didn't do much to lower the population.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '22 05:29
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    So you can't figure out how many acres it would take to sustain a human? Turns out to be about 10 acres per person, this is not rocket science.

So we need 80 BILLION acres to sustain 8 billion people.
    And there are only about 120 billion acres of land mass on the whole planet.

That says a lot right there.

We need to have LESS than a billion humans on ...[text shortened]... g in Russia, all those 30+ million killed of their own folks didn't do much to lower the population.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '22 13:47
    @metal-brain said
    Every time you ask that, you get your nose bloodied. Every time you provide your source, you get your nose bloodied. You just don’t learn, do you ?
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '22 13:49
    @metal-brain said
    How much philanthropy have they (Bill Gates and the Rockefellers) really done in terms of percentage of wealth?
    Why should that matter ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree