1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 20:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I knew a lot more about the evidence in the OJ trial than I do about the evidence in this trial.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 20:201 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    The defence should be allowed to try anything.
    But surely the judge can decide on irrelevancies"?
    While of course I agree that clothing is not dispositive of a person's intent and no level of provocative dress in any way justifies unwelcome physical advances, I hardly think dress is completely irrelevant to a person's state of mind, when that state of mind is an important factor on which the credibility of the allegation turns.

I don't know the precise facts of that case, but say we had a "he-said-she-said" trial. Putting aside for a moment the question of whether anyone should be convicted based solely on the victim's testimony, the entirety of the issue turns on the credibility and state of mind of the alleged victim.

In such case, I'd be loathe to deny almost any line of questioning that's relevant to the state of mind of the alleged victim.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 20:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 21:11
    @sh76 said
    I hardly think dress is completely irrelevant to a person's state of mind, when that state of mind is an important factor on which the credibility of the allegation turns.

, the entirety of the issue turns on the credibility and state of mind of the alleged victim.
    When that girl got dressed for a night out I'm sure her state of
    mind was "I want to feel good about myself" not "I'll save any
    stranger the trouble of asking my consent for sex in the bushes".

If you disagree - ask your wife why she is wearing
    sexy knickers next time she goes out with the girls.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 21:39
    @wolfgang59 said
    When that girl got dressed for a night out I'm sure her state of
    mind was "I want to feel good about myself" not "I'll save any
    stranger the trouble of asking my consent for sex in the bushes".

If you disagree - ask your wife why she is wearing
    sexy knickers next time she goes out with the girls.
    === "I'll save any stranger the trouble of asking my consent for sex in the bushes".===

And you really don't see that you're assuming the conclusion you're setting out to prove?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 21:53

7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 22:33
    @sh76 said
    === "I'll save any stranger the trouble of asking my consent for sex in the bushes".===

And you really don't see that you're assuming the conclusion you're setting out to prove?
    You'll have to talk me through that.
    I'm not trying to prove anything.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 23:03
    @wolfgang59 said
    You'll have to talk me through that.
    I'm not trying to prove anything.
    You're assuming there was no consent.

Otherwise, what does "I'll save any stranger the trouble of asking my consent for sex in the bushes" mean?
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 00:29
    I think I have to agree with sh76 here.

An argument may be terrible, sexist and outdated, but that doesn't mean it should be banned from court. If a jury can't figure out that this is an invalid argument and the prosecutor can't convince them of this, the real problem is the culture at large, where such an argument can possibly be taken seriously.

I don't want to be unfair to Irish citizens though, since there's quite a large backlash from the public regarding the use of this tactic. Clearly, quite a number of them think this is bullocks.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 00:57
    @vivify said
    I think I have to agree with sh76 here.

An argument may be terrible, sexist and outdated, but that doesn't mean it should be banned from court. If a jury can't figure out that this is an invalid argument and the prosecutor can't convince them of this, the real problem is the culture at large, where such an argument can possibly be taken seriously.

I don't want to be u ...[text shortened]... he public regarding the use of this tactic. Clearly, quite a number of them think this is bullocks.
    Maybe this should be considered as evidence why juries (made up of common people) are a horrible idea. Lawyers know that people have personal biases, and exploiting them is fair game in court. A system of more educated people who don't fall for foolish arguments that can sway the less educated.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 01:411 edit

12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 02:46
    @sh76 said
    You're assuming there was no consent.

Otherwise, what does "I'll save any stranger the trouble of asking my consent for sex in the bushes" mean?
    No I'm not.
    I'm not interested in the case, the verdict or what actually happened.

I'm interested in the ridiculous notion that a woman's knickers can
    indicate her "state of mind" several hours after she has chosen them.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 13:49
    @js357 said
    So are we all.
    oof!
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 14:10
    @wolfgang59 said
    No I'm not.
    I'm not interested in the case, the verdict or what actually happened.

I'm interested in the ridiculous notion that a woman's knickers can
    indicate her "state of mind" several hours after she has chosen them.
    "Indicate" is a strong word, and so I'd technically agree with your statement.

Still, since the only issue is consent and determining consent depends, to some degree, on state of mind, do you not think it's at least relevant enough to state of mind to be within the purview of what is allowed to be brought up?

Evidence should be relevant, but it doesn't have to be dispositive to be relevant. Don't you think criminal defendants ought to have latitude in bringing up facts that might even have a very slight tendency towards exoneration before being sent to prison and tarred with the title "convicted felon" forever?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 20:09
    @sh76 said
    Still, since the only issue is consent and determining consent depends, to some degree, on state of mind, do you not think it's at least relevant enough to state of mind to be within the purview of what is allowed to be brought up?
    Certainly.
    State of mind when the act happened.

But I do not think there is any correlation between choice of knickers and state of mind pertaining to the event.

I say again ... ask your wife..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree