Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    06 Feb '11 19:42
    By law everyone should be forced to buy a house this will end homelessness.
    Those that already have houses should be forced to pay more so those that do
    not have a house can afford one. Those with really nice houses should have
    a Cadillac tax put on their homes so that those who cannot afford homes can
    buy one. This will end homelessness just force everyone by passing a law to
    buy one; works for healthcare should work for homes too. I hear they are
    passing a law to force people to buy guns, maybe we should pass a law so that
    no one can break the law!
    Kelly
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Feb '11 19:51 / 2 edits
    Why should everyone have to buy a house from capitalists? Live where you choose to live. That's your house.

    http://athousandyoung.blogspot.com/2010/01/right-to-own-property.html
  3. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    06 Feb '11 19:55
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    By law everyone should be forced to buy a house this will end homelessness.
    Those that already have houses should be forced to pay more so those that do
    not have a house can afford one. Those with really nice houses should have
    a Cadillac tax put on their homes so that those who cannot afford homes can
    buy one. This will end homelessness just force ever ...[text shortened]... orce people to buy guns, maybe we should pass a law so that
    no one can break the law!
    Kelly
    Who ever said that mandating health care insurance will eliminate the need for health care?
  4. 06 Feb '11 19:58
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    By law everyone should be forced to buy a house this will end homelessness.
    Those that already have houses should be forced to pay more so those that do
    not have a house can afford one. Those with really nice houses should have
    a Cadillac tax put on their homes so that those who cannot afford homes can
    buy one. This will end homelessness just force ever ...[text shortened]... orce people to buy guns, maybe we should pass a law so that
    no one can break the law!
    Kelly
    I want to live on the street and you can't stop me.
  5. 06 Feb '11 20:03
    How about eliminating ignorance by mandating the teaching of evolution in schools?
  6. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    06 Feb '11 20:12
    Originally posted by IshDaGegg
    I want to live on the street and you can't stop me.
    You don't get to choose what you want, you have to buy it.
    Nay nay nay, it would be the law.
    Kelly
  7. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    06 Feb '11 20:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Why should everyone have to buy a house from capitalists? Live where you choose to live. That's your house.

    http://athousandyoung.blogspot.com/2010/01/right-to-own-property.html
    What if someone is already in the house I want, can I kick them out and keep the
    stuff that is there? Its what I want!
    Kelly
  8. 06 Feb '11 20:20
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What if someone is already in the house I want, can I kick them out and keep the
    stuff that is there? Its what I want!
    Kelly
    What if you can choose between voluntarily paying $1000 per month for health care, or being forced to pay $500 for the same quality health care? What would you pick?
  9. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Feb '11 20:46
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What if someone is already in the house I want, can I kick them out and keep the
    stuff that is there? Its what I want!
    Kelly
    No, because they are there using the stuff.

    But in the case of locked up empty houses alongside people dying of exposure in the streets while the home "owners" are kicking back in their other, better home in Palos Verdes (or wherever)...

    Go ahead and kick in the door. You can sleep on the furniture in there.
  10. 06 Feb '11 21:03
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    But in the case of locked up empty houses alongside people dying of exposure in the streets while the home "owners" are kicking back in their other, better home in Palos Verdes (or wherever)...

    Go ahead and kick in the door. You can sleep on the furniture in there.
    Yes those houses are in such great shape after homeless people invade them and live in them for a month.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Feb '11 21:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Yes those houses are in such great shape after homeless people invade them and live in them for a month.
    The owners should be there to protect them then. Obviously those houses aren't that important to them.

    We have a vast surplus of houses due to stupid capitalist decisions. Who cares what shape they're in? We have too many anyway.
  12. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    06 Feb '11 21:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What if you can choose between voluntarily paying $1000 per month for health care, or being forced to pay $500 for the same quality health care? What would you pick?
    Can you make the claim that is what would happen, really? Nothing is free and
    if the market pressures say 1000 per month is what it really costs, than that other
    500 dollars is still a reality that will not go away simply because you say so.
    Unless you pass a law that says so maybe!?
    Kelly
  13. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    06 Feb '11 21:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No, because they are there using the stuff.

    But in the case of locked up empty houses alongside people dying of exposure in the streets while the home "owners" are kicking back in their other, better home in Palos Verdes (or wherever)...

    Go ahead and kick in the door. You can sleep on the furniture in there.
    Who cares if they are using it, if I want it? Buying and selling don't seem to matter
    so why buy if I can take?
    Kelly
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Feb '11 21:14
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Who cares if they are using it, if I want it? Buying and selling don't seem to matter
    so why buy if I can take?
    Kelly
    Because that's wrong. That's assault, and theft - not according to the government's laws, but according to universal moral values - if you live there, you have a Right to Property over that home. If you don't live there, government cannot give you that Right to Property by voting on it.
  15. 06 Feb '11 21:17
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The owners should be there to protect them then. Obviously those houses aren't that important to them.

    We have a vast surplus of houses due to stupid capitalist decisions. Who cares what shape they're in? We have too many anyway.
    "The owners should be there to protect them".
    Great reasoning, next time you leave something that belongs to you unattended I guess it's OK with you if someone takes it?

    "Who cares what shape they're in?"
    I suppose the next occupants might care, or the people who have to pay to put in new windows, paint over the graffitti, fix the smashed walls, clean up the urine and feces soaked rooms, replace the stolen appliances,etc.

    Homeles people generally don't take good care of places they occupy.