1. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 12:39
    Originally posted by bbarr
    And to get women. Philosophy was invented to impress women at cocktail parties.
    I doubt you impress anyone although you try so hard to do so.
  2. Joined
    09 Jul '10
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 12:40
    Originally posted by bbarr
    And to get women. Philosophy was invented to impress women at cocktail parties.
    What then accounts for my singular lack of success?
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 12:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    For this question to have any relevance you must first establish that the universe is in fact deterministic.
    Surely time as a dimension (which has been proven) establishes determinism?

We just don't experience it that way (as we experience time going from A to B).
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 13:22
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    LOL good one!🙂
    But, do you realize I have made 87,261 moves more than you?
    Wait let me guess before you say it..quality over quantity!🙂
    Interesting notion...who has made the fewest moves per page of posts?

You've made 103,370 moves against 255 pages of posts. 405 moves per page.
    Bbarr has made 16,100 moves against 498 pages, or 32 moves per page.
    I've made 21,474 moves against 696 pages, or 31 moves per page.
    Palynka, on the other hand, has made a mere 8,623 moves against a staggering 1,606 pages of posts. That comes out to 5.37 moves per page of posts.

Can anyone top that?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 13:241 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir

What do you mean by "time as a dimension [being] proven" and how does that imply determinism?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 13:26
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Interesting notion...who has made the fewest moves per page of posts?

You've made 103,370 moves against 255 pages of posts. 405 moves per page.
    Bbarr has made 16,100 moves against 498 pages, or 32 moves per page.
    I've made 21,474 moves against 696 pages, or 31 moves per page.
    Palynka, on the other hand, has made a mere 8,623 moves against a staggerin ...[text shortened]... 1,606 pages of posts. That comes out to 5.37 moves per page of posts.

Can anyone top that?
    I have 3.27 moves per page, so I "win" the not-playing-chess-on-a-chess-site game.
  7. Joined
    09 Jul '10
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 13:32
    Originally posted by shavixmir

On the contrary, time might disprove determinism.

Suppose time is continuous. Why? Well, uf it wasn't, how could you ever get from A to B?. There would be a gap stopping you. The gap must be crossed, however small. Hence, there are no discrete events really, only as a matter of convention. If there are no events, then no event can cause any other. If no event can cause any other, then determinism cannot be true. If determinism is not true, then there is room for free will.

Master Metaphysician
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 13:501 edit
    I have 3.27 moves per page, so I "win" the not-playing-chess-on-a-chess-site game.
    True, but Palynka's been doing it for six years. It remains to be seen whether your stamina can match his over the long haul.

Edit: I guess 489 pages of posts in less than two years is a staggering total.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 13:58
    With 15 posts per page, that comes out to more than 10 posts per day for the 23 months you've been a member.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 18:50
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    A concrete example. Something like, "M/M' is a husband who walks in on his wife and best friend having an affair. In U, M picks up his shotgun and shoots them both; in U', M' just walks out the door. M and M' have identical histories, genetic codes etc. till that point - they are 'arbitrarily close' in every relevant way."

To give you advance warni ...[text shortened]... cant enough (possibly even to say that M and M' aren't even the same moral agent).
    You do realize that "all possible universes" include the case here M shoots them both but one of the the bullet hits 1mm away from the one in the baseline case, or 0.1mm or 0.0000000000000000000000001mm...

Like I said, you can get arbitrarily close...
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 18:52
    True, but Palynka's been doing it for six years. It remains to be seen whether your stamina can match his over the long haul.

Edit: I guess 489 pages of posts in less than two years is a staggering total.
    And 6 years of posts filled with pure unadultered truth. You don't know how priviliged you are to have the opportunity to read my posts.

Now bow down to me.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 19:34
    Originally posted by Palynka
    And 6 years of posts filled with pure unadultered truth. You don't know how priviliged you are to have the opportunity to read my posts.

Now bow down to me.
    You're in three clans, O truthful one. How is it that you've made so few moves? Do you just cheer them on?
  13. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 09:55
    Originally posted by IshDaGegg
    Oh, be quiet. He's smart and articulate, and just being thorough. If he can't be concise too, it's hardly the end of the world.
    Clearly you are another one of the same ilk.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 10:08
    You're in three clans, O truthful one. How is it that you've made so few moves? Do you just cheer them on?
    All my clans are mostly about the forums.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree