F-35

F-35

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
15 May 21

@athousandyoung said
Talk about fighting the last war...
not sure what you mean. "the last war". hmmm

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
15 May 21

@earl-of-trumps said
not sure what you mean. "the last war". hmmm
Propeller driven planes? Welcome to the jet age! This isn’t 1946!

w

Moves
16 May 21
1 edit

@athousandyoung said
Propeller driven planes? Welcome to the jet age! This isn’t 1946!
The jet age was last century. This is the drone / satellite / information age.

If another country had 1,000 F-35s at their disposal they could not have inflicted as much damage on our oil/gas infrastructure as whoever knockout out the Colonial pipeline. After all these posts about what hypothetical powers the F-35 may or may not have we haven't identified a single strategic threat that would have been prevented by the F-35. Protecting it's own aircraft carrier was probably my favorite. Perhaps as a frontline eyes / ears for a ground operation, although its not clear why satellites and drones would be less effective here. I don't get it. Someone please provide a plausible scenario in which we all go "oh, ok, that's why it was worth $1.7 trillion."????

Please.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
16 May 21

@wildgrass

and again, WG, your points are well taken by me. This is a darn good thread. very informative. All of you.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 May 21

@wildgrass said

If another country had 1,000 F-35s at their disposal they could not have inflicted as much damage on our oil/gas infrastructure as whoever knockout out the Colonial pipeline. After all these posts about what hypothetical powers the F-35 may or may not have we haven't identified a single strate ...[text shortened]... lausible scenario in which we all go "oh, ok, that's why it was worth $1.7 trillion."????

Please.
So where's the drone AWACS to replace the Hawkeye?

D

Moves
16 May 21

w

Moves
18 May 21

@athousandyoung said
So where's the drone AWACS to replace the Hawkeye?
I don't know. Why are we spending so much money on the F-35?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 May 21
1 edit

@wildgrass said
I don't know. Why are we spending so much money on the F-35?
Because it is an effective plane with many capabilities including communications, electronic warfare, stealth bombing, air to air combat, V/STOL, reconnaissance and drone management.

You are awfully critical of the F35 for someone who admittedly doesn't know much.

w

Moves
18 May 21

@athousandyoung said
Because it is an effective plane with many capabilities including communications, electronic warfare, stealth bombing, air to air combat, V/STOL, reconnaissance and drone management.

You are awfully critical of the F35 for someone who admittedly doesn't know much.
Is there a price at which you would say "eh, that seems like too much money for an airplane?"

I admit I don't know a lot but the links I've posted include interviews given by the Air Force Chief of Staff and the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee. Those guys DO know what they're talking about, and they agree with what I have been writing here. It's too much money, plain and simple. The strategic gains are not commensurate with the price tag. It seems like the reason the program is still moving forward is the congressional districts rely on the federal dollars for local industries. The whole corporate welfare thing in action.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 May 21

@wildgrass said
Is there a price at which you would say "eh, that seems like too much money for an airplane?"

I admit I don't know a lot but the links I've posted include interviews given by the Air Force Chief of Staff and the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee. Those guys DO know what they're talking about, and they agree with what I have been writing here. It's too much m ...[text shortened]... ricts rely on the federal dollars for local industries. The whole corporate welfare thing in action.
Why don’t you forward my questions to them?

w

Moves
18 May 21

@athousandyoung said
Why don’t you forward my questions to them?
On the hawkeye replacement (no spared expense), or the financial cost of the F-35? I'm sure they thought about it.

Would $10 trillion be too much for the F-35? Or is it still worth it?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 May 21
4 edits

@wildgrass said
On the hawkeye replacement (no spared expense), or the financial cost of the F-35? I'm sure they thought about it.

Would $10 trillion be too much for the F-35? Or is it still worth it?
About the planned drone replacement for the Hawkeye...since you have unilaterally decided manned jets aren’t good enough for the job.

Again, the article I posted that you haven’t addressed:

https://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-quarterback-us-marine-corps-navy-2016-9

The F-35's integration with Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense platforms, recently proven in a test at White Sands Missile Range, shows that the F-35 can destroy airborne enemies without firing a shot of it's own by leveraging the US Navy's Naval Integrated Fire Control Counterair network (NIFC-CA).

Basically, the NIFC-CA uses a giant network of sensors to create targeting data that can be accessed by several naval platforms, like destroyers and other planes.

But the NIFC-CA is old. Ships first deployed with this capability in March 2015.

In the past, the Navy's E-2 Hawkeye played the "quarterback" role in this system as an "elevated sensor" that could see airborne threats at altitude, in orbit, or flying low like a cruise missile.

However the Hawkeye is an unarmed propeller-driven plane that only launches from aircraft carriers.

Now, the F-35 can do everything the Hawkeye did, and much, much more.

EDIT

https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/2011/01/31/scrap-awacs-jstars-plough-dough-into-f-35

Former Air Force Secretary Mike Wynne wants the Air Force to get rid of large surveillance and reconnasisance aircraft such as AWACS and JSTARS, which are vulnerable to attack because of their huge radar cross-sections, and take the money saved and shove it into the Joint Strike Fighter program.

Wynne made his arguments on the website Second Line of Defense, run by the international defense consultant Robbin Laird. I spoke with Wynne this morning. His essential argument is that large aircraft such as these, while possessing excellent capabilities, are so vulnerable in time of war that the enormous amounts of money spent paying the large crews needed to fly and maintain these systems would be better spent making F-35s into the flying intelligence and targeting networks that they are designed to be.

Former Air Force Secretary Wynne should “know what he’s talking about” wouldn’t you think?

w

Moves
18 May 21

@athousandyoung said
About the planned drone replacement for the Hawkeye...since you have unilaterally decided manned jets aren’t good enough for the job.

Again, the article I posted that you haven’t addressed:

https://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-quarterback-us-marine-corps-navy-2016-9

The F-35's integration with Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense platforms, recently prove ...[text shortened]... aircraft carriers.

Now, the F-35 can do everything the Hawkeye did, and much, much more.
Unilaterally? Maybe you missed the earlier post but the Air Force Chief of Staff and the chairman of the Armed Services Committee (in the House of Representatives) agree with that assessment.

I think I have addressed your post over and over. The F-35 is super cool and deadly and better than other aircraft. It's also way too expensive, and the budget should be cut.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 May 21

@wildgrass said
Unilaterally? Maybe you missed the earlier post but the Air Force Chief of Staff and the chairman of the Armed Services Committee (in the House of Representatives) agree with that assessment.

I think I have addressed your post over and over. The F-35 is super cool and deadly and better than other aircraft. It's also way too expensive, and the budget should be cut.
Yes please clarify. Who said what specifically?

Also please address the quote I offered by Air Force Secretary Wynne in my edit above:

https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/2011/01/31/scrap-awacs-jstars-plough-dough-into-f-35

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 May 21
2 edits

@wildgrass said

If another country had 1,000 F-35s at their disposal they could not have inflicted as much damage on our oil/gas infrastructure as whoever knockout out the Colonial pipeline. After all these posts about what hypothetical powers the F-35 may or may not have we haven't identified a single strate ...[text shortened]... lausible scenario in which we all go "oh, ok, that's why it was worth $1.7 trillion."????

Please.
“The jet age was last century. This is the drone/satellite/Information Age” please provide the quote that supports this statement in which you imply manned jets are obsolete and should be replaced by drones or satellites. Then, please further investigate what specific drone or satellite is going to replace the obsolescent Hawkeye.