1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 21:471 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Note that all Westerners here prefer to ignore this thread and keep hurling
    their usual exaggerations and lies.

Dear Duchess - How is it possible to ignore this thread, and at the same time "hurl exaggerations and lies"? Does not hurling exaggerations and lies require some sort of response?

You just contradicted yourself -
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 21:583 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. SubscriberEarl of Trumpsonline
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 22:39
    So, "the US is lying" - explains the same accusations made by the Dutch, the UK, Canada??

You can do better than that, Princess.
  4. SubscriberEarl of Trumpsonline
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 22:501 edit
    U.S. will address Uighur 'genocide' in talks with Chinese: White House

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. officials will address the “genocide” of China’s Muslim Uighur minority next week in talks with Chinese officials in Alaska, the White House said on Thursday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-uighurs/u-s-will-address-uighur-genocide-in-talks-with-chinese-white-house-idUSKBN2B32XW
    ------------------------------- Reuters

Let's see if China defends themselves by flashing the US some articles from thegrayzone.com 😏 😏
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 23:17
    @teinosuke said
    Oh, for heaven's sake! How do you expect to learn anything if you're not prepared to read an article that isn't aimed at people with the attention span of a goldfish?
    Yeah, as if Duchess64 is RHP's sole arbiter of intellect and knowledge.

I'm thinking: Not.

Plenty of peer-reviewed materials on the web. If I want propaganda, I'll watch CCTV or Trump o' Fox.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 00:06

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 00:18

8. SubscriberEarl of Trumpsonline
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 01:53
    @Duchess64
    China's not on trial before a judge and jury of extremely hypocritical racist
    Westerners, who arrogantly act as if they must represent the whole world.

----------------

So you think it's all one big Western conspiracy theory, right?

Funny, China has not defended themselves this way.
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 13:191 edit
    I remember reading a long article about the celebrated Chinese film Farewell my Concubine which referred to its director throughout as "Kaige" rather than as "Chen".

Do you know if there was ever an English-language convention (even in scholarly works) of deliberately "Westernising" the name order of Chinese people? The same order as in Chinese (surname first), is of course used in Japan and Korea. But in the Japanese instance, the matter was complicated by the fact that for decades scholarly sources as well as popular materials tended to invert the name (as, frequently, did Japanese people themselves, when introducing themselves in Western languages). Westerners got use to watching films by "Akira Kurosawa" rather than "Kurosawa Akira"; Ronald Reagan was friends with Prime Minister "Yasuhiro Nakasone", rather than "Nakasone Yasuhiro". It's only in the last few decades that scholars of Japan writing in English have begun to shift to preserving Asian name order, which is now the norm in academic (though not in journalistic) writing.

When Koreans are written about in English, the Asian name order seems to be usually respected in principle (with the odd rare exception; the ruler of postwar South Korea is still occasionally referred to as "Syngman Rhee" - possibly a name order he opted for when he went to live in America in earlier life). Obviously, a lot of Westerners still get it wrong.

The Hungarians too give their names surname first when speaking their own language (an instance which is almost unique in Europe - the only other example I know of is that of the Mordvins of the Volga Basin). Hungarians speaking English almost invariably "Westernise" (I use the term advisedly!) their name order.
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 13:50
    @teinosuke said
    I remember reading a long article about the celebrated Chinese film Farewell my Concubine which referred to its director throughout as "Kaige" rather than as "Chen".

Do you know if there was ever an English-language convention (even in scholarly works) of deliberately "Westernising" the name order of Chinese people? The same order as in Chinese (surname first), is of cou ...[text shortened]... arians speaking English almost invariably "Westernise" (I use the term advisedly!) their name order.
    Have you ever read the instructions on an imported from China electrical item. The Chinese seem equally bent on butchering the English language.
    And what has this got to do with the victim statements of ‘re education’ camp survivors concerning wide scale rape and forced sterilisation of its ‘students’?
    Should we perhaps listen more to them than axe grinders from the east or west.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 16:16
    There isn't only "one" original source detailing China's genocide, as already shown to you. There are multiple independent sources detailing this.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 19:502 edits

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 19:57

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 20:134 edits

15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Mar '21 20:49
    Perhaps you could answer the question anyway though. What has western ignorance on naming rules got to do with the truth or not of the accusations being levied at the CCP regarding its treatment of a vulnerable minority within its borders.
    It seems at best to be a trivialisation and at worst an attempt to equate general western ignorance of the Chinese language with the widespread rape and sterilisation accusations coming from women purporting to be survivors. Are they lying about their experiences or are they not who they purport to be?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree