1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 16:34
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Your opinions are way off base. Note the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_lands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Four_of_the_United_States_Constitution#Clause_2:_Property_Clause
    So you believe in circular reasoning. It is claimed by the Federal government so it belongs to the federal government.

How does this trump what the Constitution alliws the Federal Government to own?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 18:581 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    When he bought it as a territory, yhe Federal government. When it became a state, the state.
    You are really confused about the concept of "ownership".

In both cases, John Doe owns the 100 acres.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 18:59
    So you believe in circular reasoning. It is claimed by the Federal government so it belongs to the federal government.

So the Louisiana Purchase was unconstitutional?

Your position is ridiculous.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:10
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You are really confused about the concept of "ownership".

In both cases, John Doe owns the 100 acres.
    I think you are cofused. What happens if he doesn't pay his rent to yhe state of Wyoming? This rent is called property tax.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:11
    So the Louisiana Purchase was unconstitutional?

Your position is ridiculous.
    Was the region already states?

You seem to believe that territorie remain territories even after statehood.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:12
    I think you are cofused. What happens if he doesn't pay his rent to yhe state of Wyoming? This rent is called property tax.
    No, it isn't "rent".

As I said, you are confused about the very basis of ownership in the American system.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:141 edit
    Was the region already states?

You seem to believe that territorie remain territories even after statehood.
    No, I don't.

You don't seem to understand that the admission of a State doesn't change the ownership of the land within absent the owners either selling it or giving it away.

And your claim that the Federal government can't own land except for the limited purposes spelled out in Article I would make the Louisiana Purchase and all other land expansions done by the US since 1787 unconstitutional. This is preposterous as well as directly contrary to the Article IV provision.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:23
    No, it isn't "rent".

As I said, you are confused about the very basis of ownership in the American system.
    If you don't pay it, the state takes your land. Anything the state can yake from you because you did not pay for the right to use it is not yours.

It is the state's.

Where in the Constitution does it describe what the Federal government has the right to own, othrr than what I quoted in the original post.

In other words, in what state is Washington DC?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:271 edit
    If you don't pay it, the state takes your land. Anything the state can yake from you because you did not pay for the right to use it is not yours.

It is the state's.

Where in the Constitution does it describe what the Federal government has the right to own, othrr than what I quoted in the original post.

In other words, in what state is Washington DC?
    🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

BTW, the clause you mention doesn't say anything about "ownership". But the Article IV provision does.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:29

It's almost beyond belief that some city or county down there in Texas (or wherever
    you are) actually hired you to work as a schoolteacher.. I pity those kids.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:43
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    It's almost beyond belief that some city or county down there in Texas (or wherever
    you are) actually hired you to work as a schoolteacher.. I pity those kids.
    Personal attack, say it isn't so.

Here is some homework for you...

Find everything the Constitution states as specific reasons why the Federal government can buy land from the states to be owned by the government.

I'll give you a free bee....

National Capital, Washington DC

Hint .. see original post to this thread
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 19:56
    Personal attack, say it isn't so.

Here is some homework for you...

Find everything the Constitution states as specific reasons why the Federal government can buy land from the states to be owned by the government.

I'll give you a free bee....

National Capital, Washington DC

Hint .. see original post to this thread
    You are confused as always; The Feds don't buy or use State owned lands for National Parks.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 21:362 edits
    You are confused as always; The Feds don't buy or use State owned lands for National Parks.
    According to the Constitution they are supposed to buy the land or have it seceded to the Federal government.

Perhaps that was just for Washington DC, which is too large according to the Constitution.

Nope, just checked. The Federal government is supposed to buy all state land it uses or have the state give the land to the Federal government.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 23:331 edit
    According to the Constitution they are supposed to buy the land or have it seceded to the Federal government.

Perhaps that was just for Washington DC, which is too large according to the Constitution.

Nope, just checked. The Federal government is supposed to buy all state land it uses or have the state give the land to the Federal government.
    The Constitution doesn't say any such thing, so you must have checked your own a**.

The land made into National Parks was owned by the Feds prior to the Statehood of the particular States where the Parks are located. As I have pointed out, a change in status from "territory" to "State" does not affect the ownership of the land within that area no matter who owns it. That you adhere to the erroneous idea that a government entity "owns" something merely because it can tax it (by that logic, no person "owns" anything) is a problem within the confines of your skull but not a Constitutional one.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 23:58
    http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/tocs/a1_8_17.html

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of Particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by ...[text shortened]... for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--

This is from the Constitution.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree