1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 03:251 edit
    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/alabama-eliminate-marriage-licenses/2015/09/15/id/691722/

It has begun.

As the same-sex marriage debate rages in conservative states, Alabama is getting closer to its own solution: stop issuing marriage licenses altogether.

A bill moving through the legislature would do just that, AL.com reports. It wouldn't force Alabamians to "live in sin," but rather would allow them to declare themselves married without having to get the approval of county officials.

Instead of issuing marriage licenses, couples would simply fill out marriage contracts – be they same-sex or opposite sex – that probate judges in the state would then file in the state's official records.

The legislature is currently in special session to tackle its budget crisis. Since the marriage contract bill was not designated by the governor a reason for the special session, the bill would require a two-thirds vote to pass.

Gay rights groups and the American Civil Liberties Union still oppose the bill, calling it a "ham-handed solution in search of a non-existent problem," Reason.com reports.

"Apparently now that they've won, they forgot why the entire marriage battle happened in the first place," Reason's Scott Shackford wrote. " That's what actual liberty looks like — you telling the government that you're married, not the other way around."
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 05:05
    May the divorce lawyers in Alabama rot in hell!!

Hahahahaha!!!
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 06:21
    Why would they bother with declaring themselves married? To whom?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 10:47
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Why would they bother with declaring themselves married? To whom?
    Unfortunately, marriage has become an entitlement. But like most entitlements, most are unaware of the true cost to themselves and society at large.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 11:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    Unfortunately, marriage has become an entitlement. But like most entitlements, most are unaware of the true cost to themselves and society at large.
    Er, explain the entitlement thing. For instance, 20 or so years ago, if you got married there was a disconnect in tax law where the married couple had to pay more taxes because they were married. Now we at least have more or less equality of taxation of married V unmarried. I don't see that as entitlement.

For me and my wife, because she has AARP supplemental insurance, if I get the same package, we get a 10% reduction in overall price. Is that what you mean by entitlement? That is more a straight up business deal.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 11:22
    So what are the practical differences going to be?
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 11:29
    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/alabama-eliminate-marriage-licenses/2015/09/15/id/691722/

It has begun.

As the same-sex marriage debate rages in conservative states, Alabama is getting closer to its own solution: stop issuing marriage licenses altogether.
    Wasn't Alabama also the state that wanted to force pi to be exactly 3, instantly turning all wheels in the state hexagonal?
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 13:51

It has begun.

A bill moving through the legislature would do just that, AL.com reports. It wouldn't force ...[text shortened]... liberty looks like — you telling the government that you're married, not the other way around."
    I've never understood why our beloved lawmakers devote so much time on a subject such as this that affects such a small percentage of our population. I feel like screaming at our lawmakers to start working on problems such as our crumbling infrastructure and reducing our national debt, rather than fussing about a couple of Lesbians who want to get married.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 14:001 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    I've never understood why our beloved lawmakers devote so much time on a subject such as this that affects such a small percentage of our population. I feel like screaming at our lawmakers to start working on problems such as our crumbling infrastructure and reducing our national debt, rather than fussing about a couple of Lesbians who want to get married.
    My suggestion is if they wish to get married, then move to Europe or Canada. 😏
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 14:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    My suggestion is if they wish to get married, then move to Europe or Canada. 😏
    My suggestion is YOU move to Canada, maybe Antarctica. Like he said, there are many MUCH more important things to worry about besides what sex marries what sex. But republicans are so Christ addled they can't think about the real world any more, just BS issues like same sex marriages. I didn't hear anything from you about the crumbling infrastructure, bridges collapsing and such, the rising gap between the 1%ers and the rest, none of that matters, only who gets married to whom. What a bunch of croc.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 15:041 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My suggestion is YOU move to Canada, maybe Antarctica. Like he said, there are many MUCH more important things to worry about besides what sex marries what sex. But republicans are so Christ addled they can't think about the real world any more, just BS issues like same sex marriages. I didn't hear anything from you about the crumbling infrastructure, bridg ...[text shortened]... e 1%ers and the rest, none of that matters, only who gets married to whom. What a bunch of croc.
    I care about all those things. I don't care about changing the laws so lesbians can get married. That is why I said they can move somewhere else so I don't have to worry about them. 😏
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 15:29
    I care about all those things. I don't care about changing the laws so lesbians can get married. That is why I said they can move somewhere else so I don't have to worry about them. 😏
    Are you worried about their being safe from people like you?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Sep '15 09:26
    But you don't have to "worry" about them right now. Conservatives like to drape the Constitution around themselves and cry out that we need to get back to the law of the Constitution. Just what is it that they don't understand about "equal protection under the law"?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '15 10:23
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's all about the money trail. Lobby groups rule.

Where are the lobby groups for the crumbling infrastructure I wonder?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '15 10:24
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    But you don't have to "worry" about them right now. Conservatives like to drape the Constitution around themselves and cry out that we need to get back to the law of the Constitution. Just what is it that they don't understand about "equal protection under the law"?
    Tell that to polygamists.

Oh, I forgot, they don't have lobby groups.

Never mind

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree