1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 05:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    The said woman had no idea she was marrying a vulture.
    She knew she was getting married. Should've thought about it some more, shouldn't she??
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 12:141 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    She knew she was getting married. Should've thought about it some more, shouldn't she??
    She is not a lawyer. Most people are not. Like I said, she drew up a will in her own hand writing and thought it would hold up in a court of law. After all, it is her possessions, is it not? Well according to the state she surrendered those possessions when she got married unbeknown to her.

And we all hear stories of the 20 year old blond marrying the 90 year old rich guy. These things are just absurd. If the state would just get out of the marriage business, these kinds of things would stop.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 12:18
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If the People's representatives can't pass laws which might have a differential effect on individuals even if they advance the interest of the People overall, then democracy is useless.
    Democracy is only as good as the moral fiber of those voting, and their knowledge about the issues.

As the moral fabric of society wanes and their education regarding the issues, so does the power of democracy effecting positive change within the said society.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 12:25
    Democracy is only as good as the moral fiber of those voting, and their knowledge about the issues.

As the moral fabric of society wanes and their education regarding the issues, so does the power of democracy effecting positive change within the said society.
    So what you are saying is that democracy doesn't work, because there are too many people like you?
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 12:572 edits
    And we all hear stories of the 20 year old blond marrying the 90 year old rich guy. These things are just absurd. If the state would just get out of the marriage business, these kinds of things would stop.
    If the 90 year old rich guy wouldn't marry the 20 year old blonde "these kinds of things" wouldn't happen.

Maybe you should just allow people to make stupid mistakes, instead of taking their choice away. You're in favor of freedom, aren't you?

Edit: of course, all you're looking for in the end is ways to not "normalize" being gay, but let's pretend we're actually talking about marriage in general.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 13:44
    She is not a lawyer. Most people are not. Like I said, she drew up a will in her own hand writing and thought it would hold up in a court of law. After all, it is her possessions, is it not? Well according to the state she surrendered those possessions when she got married unbeknown to her.

And we all hear stories of the 20 year old blond marrying the ...[text shortened]... rd. If the state would just get out of the marriage business, these kinds of things would stop.
    Why not insist the State get out of the "will business"? If you're dead, you're dead and whoever gets to your property first gets to keep it. Or not; maybe the State should get out of the "property business" too
  7. Germany
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 14:16
    The last time this "discussion" came up I produced a scribbled, highly authentic note from whodey saying he gives me all his possessions (not legalized by any filthy lawyers), but I am still waiting for my twelve dollars and collection of Confederate flags.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 17:55
    Originally posted by bill718
    I've never understood why our beloved lawmakers devote so much time on a subject such as this that affects such a small percentage of our population. I feel like screaming at our lawmakers to start working on problems such as our crumbling infrastructure and reducing our national debt, rather than fussing about a couple of Lesbians who want to get married.
    Bill,
    You're learning. It isn't what is said, but how loud it is shouted. Minorities make majorities feel guilty, and enough of the majority takes on the cause, when simpler solutions are already available.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 17:57
    Why not insist the State get out of the "will business"? If you're dead, you're dead and whoever gets to your property first gets to keep it. Or not; maybe the State should get out of the "property business" too
    You know as well as I do, that the State covets the money it can glean from estates. Money that has already been taxes usually multiple time. And lawyers love it, because the whole thing is loaded with litigation.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 18:00
    If the 90 year old rich guy wouldn't marry the 20 year old blonde "these kinds of things" wouldn't happen.

Maybe you should just allow people to make stupid mistakes, instead of taking their choice away. You're in favor of freedom, aren't you?

Edit: of course, all you're looking for in the end is ways to not "normalize" being gay, but let's pretend we're actually talking about marriage in general.

Whose to blame, the elderly rich guy, or the money grubbing 20 year old female any color hair?
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 18:061 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So what you are saying is that democracy doesn't work, because there are too many people like you?
    Democracy is evil, if it is unlimited. Many, perhaps most things, should never be voted on, in a legislative or regulatory manner. Approval of even a super majority (say 75% ), leaves the dissenters (25% ) wondering where their rights went.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 19:35
    Originally posted by normbenign
    [b]If the 90 year old rich guy wouldn't marry the 20 year old blonde "these kinds of things" wouldn't happen.

Whose to blame, the elderly rich guy, or the money grubbing 20 year old female any color hair?[/b]
    The rich guy.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 20:19
    A tax deduction for a child is merely recognizing the reality that they cost money.
    So does being single.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 20:21
    The rich guy.
    How so? The rich guy did not have to marry the stupid young woman. He probably could have hired a pro for a lot less money.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 20:23
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    So does being single.
    So according to the Maurauder, expenses of parents ought to be paid for by others, but singles can take care of themselves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree