Florida laws, can't teach about slavery

Florida laws, can't teach about slavery

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
87d

@mott-the-hoople said
is this rape specific to illegal immigration, which YOU support?

" (Mr. POE asked and was given permission to address the House for 1
minute.)
Mr. POE. Ripped from the bodies of unwilling women, undergarments
cling to branches of a tree just a few feet from the lawless U.S.-
Mexico border. Dozens of pairs of underwear thrown there by rapists.
These are ...[text shortened]... 0194-5.htm

BTW...you should seek help for your addiction to this board...its not normal conduct
“one expert” that’s a bit cheap, surely you could have quoted 100 unnamed “experts” for the same price.
Once you’ve constantly lied about winning an election that you lost by 7 million votes te only way is down.
Using the fear of rape to try and get a rapist into the White House is a new low for sure.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
86d

@vivify
It is not simple stupidity, it is cynical attempts to rewrite history, 'slavery wasn't THAT bad, they learned SKILLS' or 'slaves got PAID'.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
86d

@sonhouse said
@vivify
It is not simple stupidity, it is cynical attempts to rewrite history, 'slavery wasn't THAT bad, they learned SKILLS' or 'slaves got PAID'.
Some slaves received an allowance, some slaves got paid, that's a fact jack..

D

Moves
86d

@wajoma said
Don't wreck the narrative, they've got reparations to come.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
86d

@sonhouse said
https://people.com/ron-desantis-defends-florida-curriculum-slavery-benefit-7564521
The US is awash with crazy now, Slaves were PAID? Or Slaves learned useful trades. If I was black and had kids I would move out of Florida to a state that wasn't afraid to say how it really was for slaves, where a child is born and could be sold off to another plantation never to be seen agai ...[text shortened]... to slaves but those assswipes in Florida want to erase all knowledge of that dark history of the US.
OMG. sonhouse... we actually agree! - with one little caveat... where is the link?

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
86d

@mott-the-hoople said
democrats sho do like cheap labor
LOLOL good shot.

I wonder if in the other 49 states, the children are taught that all the slaves were owned by democrats.

Ya think...?

Über-Nerd

Moves
86d
2 edits

@wajoma said
Sure, they had ‘free’ room and board on the plantation, too. Sounds real cushy, doesn’t it?

Could they quit their ‘jobs’ and go look for better pay somewhere else? Could they form a labor union and go on strike for better conditions? Did they get retirement benefits? Somehow I think slavery was not really a very good deal for anybody but the owners. trying to claim the slaves got benefits out of it is simply revisionist history.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
85d

@wajoma said
The stupid part is, you expect people to believe you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
85d

@earl-of-trumps said
LOLOL good shot.

I wonder if in the other 49 states, the children are taught that all the slaves were owned by democrats.

Ya think...?
Who would be Republicans today.

They teach that in school, but do the far-right morons here remember that?

Of course not, it interferes with the narrative.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
85d

@moonbus said
Sure, they had ‘free’ room and board on the plantation, too. Sounds real cushy, doesn’t it?

Could they quit their ‘jobs’ and go look for better pay somewhere else? Could they form a labor union and go on strike for better conditions? Did they get retirement benefits? Somehow I think slavery was not really a very good deal for anybody but the owners. trying to claim the slaves got benefits out of it is simply revisionist history.
It sure ain't freaking rocket science.

People who buy and sell people like a commodity sure as hell aren't gonna PAY them.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
85d

@moonbus said

No it doesn't sound 'real cushy' that's you being puerile and sarcastic.

But it doesn't get away from the fact, yes, they did receive free board, food and clothing, and yes, some did receive an allowance.

And learning a trade or a skill is a benefit.

Über-Nerd

Moves
85d

@wajoma said
No it doesn't sound 'real cushy' that's you being puerile and sarcastic.

But it doesn't get away from the fact, yes, they did receive free board, food and clothing, and yes, some did receive an allowance.

And learning a trade or a skill is a benefit.
The people who taught them skills (blacksmithing or whatever) had not the slightest intention of benefiting them. The people who taught them skills only instrumentalized them for their own benefit; that's what slavery is all about. You're trying to whitewash it as something less abominable than it was.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
84d

@moonbus said
The people who taught them skills (blacksmithing or whatever) had not the slightest intention of benefiting them. The people who taught them skills only instrumentalized them for their own benefit; that's what slavery is all about. You're trying to whitewash it as something less abominable than it was.
The motivation of those doing the teaching of the skill is not the issue, it doesn't measure anything. Teachers, tutors, university professors are all there primarily for their own benefit.

A person with a skill has an advantage over a person without a skill, it is a benefit to have a skill, that's all I was saying, nothing about how cushy it was, that's not whitewashing anything, that's just stating a fact.

Moves
84d

@wajoma said
The motivation of those doing the teaching of the skill is not the issue, it doesn't measure anything. Teachers, tutors, university professors are all there primarily for their own benefit.

A person with a skill has an advantage over a person without a skill, it is a benefit to have a skill, that's all I was saying, nothing about how cushy it was, that's not whitewashing anything, that's just stating a fact.
and that is exactly what Florida is teaching…yes slavery was bad, but there was a benefit.

Many came over as indentured servants, life expectancy in their country was 35 yrs. Escaping that country was a benefit.

BTW…slavery still exists in their part of the world.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
79d

@Earl-of-Trumps
So you think the name democrat party back in 1850 is the same democrat party of today. Pretty much shows how biased YOU are. So the centuries of slavery was a GOOD thing for those black workers, learning skills, well all except learning stuff like reading and arithmetic and geography, just give them a bible and say that is all they need and we will read it for you. If your women have babies don't count on being able to raise them we need to sell them to the highest bidder. Who do you think you are, HUMANS?