1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 02:031 edit
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/261062/carter-banned-iranians-coming-us-during-hostage-daniel-greenfield

Trump is a monster, a madman and a vile racist. He's just like Hitler. Or Jimmy Carter.

During the Iranian hostage crisis, Carter issued a number of orders to put pressure on Iran. Among these, Iranians were banned from entering the United States unless they oppose the Shiite Islamist regime or had a medical emergency.

Here's Jimmy "Hitler" Carter saying it back in 1980.

Fourth, the Secretary of Treasury [State] and the Attorney General will invalidate all visas issued to Iranian citizens for future entry into the United States, effective today. We will not reissue visas, nor will we issue new visas, except for compelling and proven humanitarian reasons or where the national interest of our own country requires. This directive will be interpreted very strictly.

Apparently barring people from a terrorist country is not against "our values" after all. It may even be "who we are". Either that or Carter was a racist monster just like Trump.

Meanwhile here's how the Iranian students in the US were treated.

Carter orders 50,000 Iranian students in US to report to immigration office with view to deporting those in violation of their visas. On 27 December 1979, US appeals court allows deportation of Iranian students found in violation.

In November 1979, the Attorney General had given all Iranian students one month to report to the local immigration office. Around 7,000 were found in violation of their visas. Around 15,000 Iranians were forced to leave the US.

Meanwhile any Iranians entering the US were forced to undergo secondary screening.

Interestingly enough, Carter did this by invoking the Nationality Act of 1952. A law originally opposed by Democrats for its attempt to restrict Communist immigration to the United States.

“If this oasis of the world should be overrun, perverted, contaminated, or destroyed, then the last flickering light of humanity will be extinguished,” Senator McCarran said of the law. He was a Democrat.

Now unlike Muslims, Iranians were not necessarily supportive of Islamic terrorism. Many were and are opponents of it. Khomeini didn't represent Iran as a country, but his Islamist allies. So Trump's proposal is far more legitimate than Carter's action. Carter targeted people by nationality. Trump's proposal does so by ideology.

Classifying Iranians as a group is closer to racism than classifying people by a racist supremacist ideology that calls for the mass murder and enslavement of non-Muslims, as ISIS is doing today.

One of the neater subsets of the 1952 Act barred the entry of, "(11) Aliens who are polygamists or who practice polygamy or advocate the practice of polygamy."

I wonder which creed this might apply to.

Maybe the professional conservatives running around shrieking their heads off can calm down now long enough to have a rational conversation on the subject.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 02:11
    Former President Carter was Hitler

Yeah Whodey, that's right. "Hitler" has spent much of the last 30 years beating nails, digging ditches, and painting, so poor people can have a roof over their head. He's a pretty evil guy alright, let's stick bamboo shoots under his fingernails! 🙄
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 02:13
    Originally posted by bill718
    Former President Carter was Hitler

Yeah Whodey, that's right. "Hitler" has spent much of the last 30 years beating nails, digging ditches, and painting, so poor people can have a roof over their head. He's a pretty evil guy alright, let's stick bamboo shoots under his fingernails! 🙄
    But you would agree that Trump is Hitler, right?

I think it's pretty much accepted on these forums that if you oppose Islamic immigration in any way you are a Nazi.

What am I missing?
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 02:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    But you would agree that Trump is Hitler, right?

I think it's pretty much accepted on these forums that if you oppose Islamic immigration in any way you are a Nazi.

What am I missing?
    You're "missing" the fact that I do not think of Trump as "Hitler" I think Hitler is Hitler. Trump is an economic moderate, social conservative, with an overinflated ego and mouth.

A word of advise if I may: Never assume what people are thinking, because you'll be wrong at least half of the time.🙂
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 02:27
    Originally posted by bill718
    You're "missing" the fact that I do not think of Trump as "Hitler" I think Hitler is Hitler. Trump is an economic moderate, social conservative, with an overinflated ego and mouth.

A word of advise if I may: Never assume what people are thinking, because you'll be wrong at least half of the time.🙂
    Wrong again bill.

Carter was a bigoted monster, just like Trump.

Can we at least say that Carter = Trump?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 02:30
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/261062/carter-banned-iranians-coming-us-during-hostage-daniel-greenfield

Trump is a monster, a madman and a vile racist. He's just like Hitler. Or Jimmy Carter.

During the Iranian hostage crisis, Carter issued a number of orders to put pressure on Iran. Among these, Iranians were banned from entering the United States u ...[text shortened]... ng their heads off can calm down now long enough to have a rational conversation on the subject.
    From the other thread where this was mentioned:

That nutty right wing rag is another that insists all Muslims are "supportive of Islamic terrorism" and that banning Muslims "targets by ideology". It then insists in having a "rational conversation on the subject"!

Carter proposed a number of sanctions against Iran in order to pressure that country to release the hostages. This is hardly similar to a proposal to ban every Muslim in the world from entering the US for an indefinite period of time.http://www.snopes.com/jimmy-carter-banned-iranian-immigrants/
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 03:302 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    From the other thread where this was mentioned:

That nutty right wing rag is another that insists all Muslims are "supportive of Islamic terrorism" and that banning Muslims "targets by ideology". It then insists in having a "rational conversation on the subject"!

Carter proposed a number of sanctions against Iran in order to pressure that country ...[text shortened]... S for an indefinite period of time.http://www.snopes.com/jimmy-carter-banned-iranian-immigrants/
    Nutty right wing?

There is a big difference between Carter and Obama. Carter imposed sanctions on Iran because they held American hostages. Instead, Obama infuses billions into their economy with a nod and a smile even though they still have American hostages.

Given all that Iran has gained outside of the nuclear arena, what is most perplexing is how little the United States has received. Take for example the four American hostages which Iran now holds:
    •Saeed Abedini. Iran has long been hostile to Christianity. While the Iranian city of Isfahan hosts a large Armenian community which thrives today, the Armenian Christians settled in Isfahan only because they were forcibly relocated there from northwestern Iran as the shah at the time doubted their loyalty. Non-Orthodox Christians have special difficulty in Iran. Past State Department human-rights reports, for example, depict the disappearance and murder of priests and, especially, evangelical Christians whose community is small but growing in Iran. Abedini, a 34-year-old from Idaho, was arrested during a 2012 trip to Tehran to visit family and sentenced to eight years in prison. He is a married father of two small children.
    •Robert Levinson. A former FBI agent whom Iran alleges to have worked for a CIA contractor visited Kish Island, an Iranian free-trade zone which is visa-free, in an effort to research a cigarette smuggling case when he was seized by Iranian intelligence in 2007. While the Iranians have sought at times to deny responsibility or knowledge of Levinson’s case, the state-run Iranian press acknowledged Iranian involvement. He remains the longest-held Iranian hostage. Perhaps reflecting its role as the ­de facto lobby of the Islamic Republic, the National Iranian American Council has distinguished itself by omitting Levinson in its calls for the release of hostages.
    •Amir Hekmati. A former American Marine, Hekmati was arrested in August 2011 while visiting family in Tehran. Charged with espionage, he was initially sentenced to death, a sentence later commuted. While some Iranians might look askance at his military service, it should be remembered that because Iran has conscription, many male Iranian graduate students seeking to come to the United States to continue their education or to visit family have served in the Iranian military. The charges were more ridiculous considering Hekmati sought and received permission from Iranian authorities in the United States before traveling. Hekmati had briefly launched a hunger strike which he subsequently suspended.
    •Jason Rezaian. The Washington Post’s Tehran bureau chief, Rezaian was arrested on undisclosed security-related offenses on July 22, 2014, and initially held incommunicado. On January 15, 2015, an Iranian prosecutor announced that Rezaian would stand trial in a revolutionary court. His case is slated to be heard by one of Iran’s most notorious hanging judges.

And you have the nerve to call me the nutty right wing? What has the democrat party come to? Now they only try to obtain US prisoners if they are known to have deserted to the enemy, otherwise, they are not interested. I can only imagine how Carter would be demonized by loons like yourself.

Sickening.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 03:312 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 03:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    According to the loony GOP and Dim partys Trump = Hitler.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 07:15
    According to the loony GOP and Dim partys Trump = Hitler.
    Get a brain, please.

Iranians attacked a US Embassy and held US citizens hostage. Not in prison charged with crimes. Hostage. This is against international law. President Carter was within his right to impose sanctions on Iran, including not allowing them to come here.

The people Trump wants to ban from immigrating to the US are Muslims escaping a civil war in their own country. He wants to bar them from entering based solely on their religion. How is this not the idea of a bigot? What's next? Proposing a "final solution" for those of that religion already here? When was the last time this happened?
  11. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 09:45
    Now unlike Muslims, Iranians were not necessarily supportive of Islamic terrorism. Many were and are opponents of it. Khomeini didn't represent Iran as a country, but his Islamist allies. So Trump's proposal is far more legitimate than Carter's action. Carter targeted people by nationality. Trump's proposal does so by ideology.
    You do know that Iranians are more than 99% Muslim (and this was already the case according to figures in pre-Revolutionary times)? True, many Iranians were opposed to the Ayatollah, which just goes to show that not all Muslims are supportive of political Islam.

Also, there's no obvious way to tell from someone's passport whether someone is or isn't Muslim; accordingly, Trump's proposal would presumably have to be implemented on the basis of nationality in the first place. Would there be any way to administer this, apart from ensuring that people from Muslim-majority countries were banned? Or would Trump merely refuse entry to those with Muslim-sounding names?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 09:56
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Get a brain, please.

Iranians attacked a US Embassy and held US citizens hostage. Not in prison charged with crimes. Hostage. This is against international law. President Carter was within his right to impose sanctions on Iran, including not allowing them to come here.

The people Trump wants to ban from immigrating to the US are Muslims escaping a ...[text shortened]... "final solution" for those of that religion already here? When was the last time this happened?
    Not solely on their religion. It's also about murdering Americans at a Christmas party and making pipe bombs, even though they did not go off. 😏
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 11:06
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    You do know that Iranians are more than 99% Muslim (and this was already the case according to figures in pre-Revolutionary times)? True, many Iranians were opposed to the Ayatollah, which just goes to show that not all Muslims are supportive of political Islam.

Also, there's no obvious way to tell from someone's passport whether someone is or isn't Mus ...[text shortened]... y countries were banned? Or would Trump merely refuse entry to those with Muslim-sounding names?
    Trump said they'd ask them what their religion was.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 11:08
    Nutty right wing?

There is a big difference between Carter and Obama. Carter imposed sanctions on Iran because they held American hostages. Instead, Obama infuses billions into their economy with a nod and a smile even though they still have American hostages.

Given all that Iran has gained outside of the nuclear arena, what is most perplexing is how ...[text shortened]... erested. I can only imagine how Carter would be demonized by loons like yourself.

Sickening.
    Do you consider anyone arrested by a foreign country a "hostage"?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '15 13:251 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Not solely on their religion. It's also about murdering Americans at a Christmas party and making pipe bombs, even though they did not go off. 😏
    it IS solely based on their religion, the religion of extremists, but religious based nonetheless. Their religion TELLS them to murder. They are not saying, I murder for my country. They are not saying I murder because I am pisssed off at Americans.

I am Pisssed off at Americans because Allah tells me to kill. I will go to Muslim heaven the instant I die. So I am not afraid of death.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree