1. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 05:26
    Here in SA our president is Polygamous. Although we all talk about it, to a large extent it doesn't affect his politics. We are far more concerned about the fact that someone was found guilty of bribing him, and that he was once accused of rape (but not found guilty)

We are also more tolerant of gay people than the US, but I suspect it would be difficult for a gay person to get elected president.
  2. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 05:30
    Get government off my sidewalk! No more government financed sidewalks! Let us each run our own portion of the sidewalk. We can charge to let people pass if we want, and let the free market prevail!
  3. Germany
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 07:41
    Even though this horse is dead, I pity it for getting beat so often.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 07:48
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Get the government out of marriage relationships and neither is an issue.
    I keep hearing that phrase but nobody expands on it, does it mean that all marriages would be null and void from a legal perspective and that everyone had to make the same private arrangements as gay people do at the moment.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 07:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Here in SA our president is Polygamous. Although we all talk about it, to a large extent it doesn't affect his politics. We are far more concerned about the fact that someone was found guilty of bribing him, and that he was once accused of rape (but not found guilty)

We are also more tolerant of gay people than the US, but I suspect it would be difficult for a gay person to get elected president.
    If He has more than one wife He would be very susceptible to bribery.
  6. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 07:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    In addition, it seems that anyone in the world can now be a US citizen. The only criteria is making it across the border somehow, someway.
    A return to the traditions of the nineteenth century in other words... Funny. Usually you seem quite keen for your country to return to the way it was in the nineteenth century (e.g., minimal state safety net, untrammelled capitalism, no minimum wage, no federal income tax).
  7. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 07:54
    That probably depends on whether by "the US", you mean Wyoming or San Francisco...
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 07:56
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Get government off my sidewalk! No more government financed sidewalks! Let us each run our own portion of the sidewalk. We can charge to let people pass if we want, and let the free market prevail!
    Get government out of Government, we could all form our own Governments and vote for ourselves ( if we agreed with our policies ), of course this may result in a deadlocked legislature and an awful lot of lame duck presidents, so no change there.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 08:00
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    A return to the traditions of the nineteenth century in other words... Funny. Usually you seem quite keen for your country to return to the way it was in the nineteenth century (e.g., minimal state safety net, untrammelled capitalism, no minimum wage, no federal income tax).
    Whodey wants a "minimal" government that has 500 heavily armed security guards along every mile of the US-Mexico border.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:071 edit
    That probably depends on whether by "the US", you mean Wyoming or San Francisco...
    Yes of course. We have similar variation within South Africa and I am sure that gay people get discriminated against to some extent just about everywhere.

Is same-sex marriage legal in San Francisco?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:17

It would be far harder in the US to win the Presidency being a polygamist than gay.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Whodey wants a "minimal" government that has 500 heavily armed security guards along every mile of the US-Mexico border.
    Na. All you need are an army of drones patrolling the border 24/7 with orders to shoot to kill. 🙂
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:22
    You forgot, no $16 trillion debt, no running multiple foreign wars abroad, no government 24/7 survellience of its citizens, no NDAA so that citizens could not be detained without trial indefinately, a return of respect for the Constitution and rule of law, etc.

Yes, I can dream, can't I?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 09:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    It would be far harder in the US to win the Presidency being a polygamist than gay.
    Are Americans really that anti-polygamy? Most of the world has accepted polygamy in the past, including most religions. Very few places are or have been as tolerant of homosexuality.
    Do you think it is the Christian influence that would cause objection to polygamy?
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 10:06
    Are Americans really that anti-polygamy? Most of the world has accepted polygamy in the past, including most religions. Very few places are or have been as tolerant of homosexuality.
    Do you think it is the Christian influence that would cause objection to polygamy?
    Someone has yet to come up with a rational objection to either, and I'm pretty sure it will not happen on this thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree