1. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 18:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    The U.S. government "dictates" the settlement in every case?
    Here in SA, 'life partnership' has some legal standing, certainly when it comes to immigration.

I am fairly sure I have seen US TV shows with Judges that recognize shared property when a couple is living together.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 19:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    From what I hear, the Swiss have the most discriminatory procedure in the world. You can be born and live your whole life in Switzerland and still be unable to become a citizen.
    Citizenship is one of the things I consider to be not only a rights issue, but also and issue that should never ever be decided by democracy.
    What about surrendering those rights if you decide to become an enemy of the society in which you live?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 20:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Isn't this more or less the same as Obama's recent proposed "quick and painless legal procedure to process" somewhere in the region of 800,000 immigrants. You opposed that proposal bitterly.
    Let's try this again. LEARN TO SPEAK THE LANGAUGE AND THEN HAVE OTHER CITIZENS SPEAK ON YOUR BEHALF TO GAIN CITIZENSHIP.

I hardly think Obama would agree. He would think it to "discriminatory".
  4. Germany
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 20:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    Let's try this again. LEARN TO SPEAK THE LANGAUGE AND THEN HAVE OTHER CITIZENS SPEAK ON YOUR BEHALF TO GAIN CITIZENSHIP.

How large a part of the group pardoned by Obama do not speak English and would not have any citizens vouching for them, do you reckon?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 23:17

Yes I understand your concern about language. But isn't the Swiss way more or less the same as Obama's recent proposed "quick and painless legal procedure to process" somewhere in the region of 800,000 immigrants? You opposed that proposal. You think those 800,000, who grew up in the U.S. and were educated in the U.S. and who have no criminal records, should be processed how?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 06:11
    What about surrendering those rights if you decide to become an enemy of the society in which you live?
    Once you are a citizen you are always a citizen unless you leave the country and give up your rights.
    If you are still in the country you should be treated like any other enemy of society, like a criminal.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 06:13

Which language? If you lived in China Town, would the language be Cantonese?

Wouldn't such policies lead to ethnic divisions? ie by encouraging people to live in areas where their language and culture is similar.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 16:16

You can take your imperialistic Anglo-Saxon tongue and shove it where the sun don't shine. I'm still pissed off that my mother tongue is English. 😠

The Song Language of the Gaels (Cànan Nan Gàidheal)from Dan Ar Braz

YouTube
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 20:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You can take your imperialistic Anglo-Saxon tongue and shove it where the sun don't shine. I'm still pissed off that my mother tongue is English. 😠

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtbOfIpJ4YU
    If your a Gael then being pissed off is your Raison detre. you love it.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 20:20
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    If your a Gael then being pissed off is your Raison detre. you love it.
    I got hot Spanish blood too, don't make me mad! 😠
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 20:391 edit
    I got hot Spanish blood too, don't make me mad! 😠
    No that would be too easy.🙂
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    07 Aug '12 21:214 edits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtbOfIpJ4YU
    Until maybe the Seventies learning irish was compulsory in education in Ireland and as a result the language became widely (not universally, but very widely) hated and despised. All school qualifications came in bundles for a certificate (Intermediate at 16, Leaving at 18) and if you failed Irish you got no certificate for passing in all the other subjects. Making any subject compulsory just goes against what education is about and some people just find languages too difficult to master. Personally, though I could speak and understand Irish at ten until I left for Albion, I have had more benefit since then from Latin learned through the good old Latin mass! 😀 Gone are the days.

At least in Switzerland you have the choice of Italian, German or French (I asume all three are not required!) and I am assured that in schools the most popular second language tends to be English rather than one of the other community languages. The country became neutral because it had citizens on every side in most wars since the 13th Century.

I suspect many Americans are like the British and consider any foreign language redundant - let the World speak English! But if you want to advocate compulsory language learning, surely there is a good case for most Americans needing to speak Spanish to at least a modest standard? Why should the rules all be about what other people have to do and never about concessions from your own communities?

I also suspect that for many Latin Americans in the States, the opportunity to learn English is constrained. Maybe instead of pointing guns at people you might promote educational opportunities, including adult learning, that people on minimal incomes can attend freely? Of course that would assume that you cared about the stated issue (ability to speak English, communicate and participate) rather than just using this as another stick to beat people with who have less opportunity in life than you do.

[OH - all that is addressed to "you" plural, or as we often said in Ireland, to "ye." It is not really aimed at AThousandYoung in particular!}
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Aug '12 04:29

*LANGUAGE
  14. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    08 Aug '12 09:41
    Originally posted by finnegan
    At least in Switzerland you have the choice of Italian, German or French.
    What about Romansch?
  15. Germany
    Moves
    08 Aug '12 12:50
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Until maybe the Seventies learning irish was compulsory in education in Ireland and as a result the language became widely (not universally, but very widely) hated and despised. All school qualifications came in bundles for a certificate (Intermediate at 16, Leaving at 18) and if you failed Irish you got no certificate for passing in all the other subjects. ...[text shortened]... we often said in Ireland, to "ye." It is not really aimed at AThousandYoung in particular!}
    I had to learn a mandatory 4 languages in high school (although admittedly I only speak two of them well, in the other two I can read texts quite well and have a basic conversation).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree