I was listening to Glenn Beck today....
    That says it all!
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 15:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    Your options are that he severed his left winged ideology he was raised on and he was surrounded by his entire life once he took the oath of office or he still embraces it. In fact, he still appointed self reported communists like Van Jones as a czar. Go figure.
    I wonder what the result would be if we took a forum poll and asked the posters here who has adopted their parents politics.

From my own experience I would guess at it being quite low, it is the tendency of successive generations to rebel to some extent against the ideology of their parents. So this idea that one generation of marxist's breeds another generation of marxist's is dubious at best.

Also given some of the blatant capitalist's you have accused of being loony left commies I think we can take your opinions on the matter with a large pinch of salt.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 15:47
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I wonder what the result would be if we took a forum poll and asked the posters here who has adopted their parents politics.
    While maybe not typical, I am the exact opposite of parents politically, or at least about 80% opposite.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 17:34

From my own experience I would guess at it being quite low, it is the tendency of successive generations to rebel to some extent against the ideology of their parents. So this idea that one generation of marxist's breeds another ge ...[text shortened]... oony left commies I think we can take your opinions on the matter with a large pinch of salt.
    I'm pretty similar to my parents in politics. The major difference is that they all call me a Republican because I'm more centrist than they are. Also I'm an anarchist and they're not.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 01:44
    Samplings from Kos re tonight at the convention:

Awesome! John McCain is on stage.

5:02 PM PT: Sticking with the nepotism theme, Senator McCain's dad was a Navy Admiral, serving as commander of the United States Pacific Command.

5:04 PM PT: With McCain's stirring tribute to our military, I'm reminded of Mitt Romney's sons, who, as their dad said, served America ... by volunteering for his 2008 campaign.

5:05 PM PT: Yikes.
    Secret Service agent accidentally left loaded gun in bathroom aboard Mitt Romney's campaign plane today. http://t.co/...
    @peterbakernyt via TweetDeck

5:05 PM PT: Paul Ryan hasn't even taken the stage yet, and I already miss Sarah Palin. Hell, I'd even be willing to relive Rich Lowry's starbursts comment for something that exciting at a GOP convention.
    5:07 PM PT:
    McCain says leaks are bad, unless they involve CIA agents.
    @HunterDK via TweetDeck

5:08 PM PT: McCain rebuts Rand Paul, and howls bloody murder about the defense spending cuts that he (McCain) voted for when he supported the GOP's debt limit brinksmanship. Oh yeah, Paul Ryan voted for it too.

5:10 PM PT: McCain: Obama missed an opportunity to lead a revolution in Iran. Sane people: Thank God we didn't get involved in yet another Middle East war. McCain: I had a secret plan to get Osama bin Laden. Sane people: So did Obama. And his plan worked.

5:12 PM PT: Shorter McCain: Actually, I think he is a bit shorter, about an inch shorter than four years ago. But he's as bitter as ever. And he still wants you to get the hell off his damn lawn.
    5:14 PM PT:
    This speech ended when the wall came down in 89 by the way
    @tommatzzie via web

5:21 PM PT: McCain's warmongering speech is over, by the way. Another musical interlude. This is literally the worst, most boring convention ever.

5:36 PM PT (Kaili Joy Gray): New thread here.
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 02:06
    My daughter was looking for Patrick at the convention. We informed her that he is too bright for the convention.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 02:15

From my own experience I would guess at it being quite low, it is the tendency of successive generations to rebel to some extent against the ideology of their parents. So this idea that one generation of marxist's breeds another ge ...[text shortened]... oony left commies I think we can take your opinions on the matter with a large pinch of salt.
    Yes, the pastor he chose as an adult and the czar he chose has NOTHING to do with what type of ideology he agrees with, does it?
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 05:151 edit
    FACT CHECK: Convention speakers stray from reality. From an AP story today. A closer look at some of the words spoken at the GOP convention in Tampa, Fla.:

RYAN: "And the biggest, coldest power play of all in Obamacare came at the expense of the elderly. ... So they just took it all away from Medicare. Seven hundred and sixteen billion dollars, funneled out of Medicare by President Obama."

THE FACTS: Ryan's claim ignores the fact that Ryan himself incorporated the same cuts into budgets he steered through the House in the past two years as chairman of its Budget Committee, using the money for deficit reduction. And the cuts do not affect Medicare recipients directly, but rather reduce payments to hospitals, health insurance plans and other service providers.

In addition, Ryan's own plan to remake Medicare would squeeze the program's spending even more than the changes Obama made, shifting future retirees into a system in which they would get a fixed payment to shop for coverage among private insurance plans. Critics charge that would expose the elderly to more out-of-pocket costs.

___

RYAN: "The stimulus was a case of political patronage, corporate welfare and cronyism at their worst. You, the working men and women of this country, were cut out of the deal."

THE FACTS: Ryan himself asked for stimulus funds shortly after Congress approved the $800 billion plan, known as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Ryan's pleas to federal agencies included letters to Energy Secretary Steven Chu and Labor Secretary Hilda Solis seeking stimulus grant money for two Wisconsin energy conservation companies.

One of them, the nonprofit Wisconsin Energy Conservation Corp., received $20.3 million from the Energy Department to help homes and businesses improve energy efficiency, according to federal records. That company, he said in his letter, would build "sustainable demand for green jobs." Another eventual recipient, the Energy Center of Wisconsin, received about $365,000.

___

RYAN: Said Obama misled people in Ryan's hometown of Janesville, Wis., by making them think a General Motors plant there threatened with closure could be saved. "A lot of guys I went to high school with worked at that GM plant. Right there at that plant, candidate Obama said: 'I believe that if our government is there to support you . this plant will be here for another hundred years.' That's what he said in 2008. Well, as it turned out, that plant didn't last another year."

THE FACTS: The plant halted production in December 2008, weeks before Obama took office and well before he enacted a more robust auto industry bailout that rescued GM and Chrysler and allowed the majority of their plants — though not the Janesville facility — to stay in operation. Ryan himself voted for an auto bailout under President George W. Bush that was designed to help GM, but he was a vocal critic of the one pushed through by Obama that has been widely credited with revitalizing both GM and Chrysler.

___

RYAN: Obama "created a bipartisan debt commission. They came back with an urgent report. He thanked them, sent them on their way and then did exactly nothing."

THE FACTS: It's true that Obama hasn't heeded his commission's recommendations, but Ryan's not the best one to complain. He was a member of the commission and voted against its final report.

___

CHRISTIE: "Mitt Romney will tell us the hard truths we need to hear to end the torrent of debt that is compromising our future and burying our economy. ...Tonight, our duty is to tell the American people the truth. Our problems are big and the solutions will not be painless. We all must share in the sacrifice. Any leader that tells us differently is simply not telling the truth."

THE FACTS: Romney has made a core promise to cut $500 billion per year from the federal budget by 2016 to bring spending below 20 percent of the U.S. economy, and to balance it entirely by 2020.

His campaign manifesto, however, is almost completely devoid of the "hard truths" Christie promises. In fact, Romney is promising to reverse $716 billion in Medicare savings achieved by Obama over the coming decade and promises big increases in military spending as well, along with extending tax cuts for everyone, including the wealthiest . . . .
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 05:16
    PORTMAN: "Take trade with China. China manipulates its currency, giving it an unfair trade advantage. So why doesn't the president do something about it? I'll tell you one reason. President Obama could not run up his record trillion-dollar deficits if the Chinese didn't buy our bonds to finance them. Folks, we are as beholden to China for bonds as we are to the Middle East for oil. This will end under Mitt Romney."

THE FACTS: Portman is an expert on commerce, having served as President George W. Bush's trade representative from May 2005 to May 2006. But he didn't fare particularly well in stemming China's trade advantage, either.

Under Portman's watch, the U.S. trade deficit with China soared by 25 percent in 2005, and the next year it climbed more than 15 percent. By contrast, the deficit rose 10 percent over the first three years of Obama's presidency, according to U.S. government figures.

Both the Bush and Obama administrations have launched unfair trade cases against China at the World Trade Organization, but neither has been able to rebalance the relationship.

___

SANTORUM: "This summer (Obama) showed us once again he believes in government handouts and dependency by waiving the work requirement for welfare. Now, I helped write the welfare reform bill. We made a lot crystal clear. No president can waive the work requirement, but as with his refusal to enforce our immigration laws, President Obama rules like he is above the law."

THE FACTS: The administration did not waive the work requirement. Instead, it invited governors to apply on behalf of their states for waivers of administrative requirements in the 1996 law. Some states have complained those rules tie up caseworkers who could be helping clients directly.

In a July 18 letter to congressional leaders, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that to be eligible for a waiver, governors must commit that their plans will move at least 20 percent more people from welfare to work. Moreover, states must show clear progress toward the goal within a year, or lose the waiver.

"We will not accept any changes that undercut employment-focused welfare reforms that were signed into law fifteen years ago," Sebelius wrote.

Ron Haskins, a former senior Republican House aide who helped write the welfare-to-work law, has said "there is merit" to the administration's proposal and "I don't see how you can get to the conclusion that the waiver provision undermines welfare reform and it eliminates the work requirement." . . .

For more see the AP story in the following link:

http://www.chron.com/news/article/FACT-CHECK-Convention-speakers-stray-from-reality-3824735.php
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 08:131 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes, the pastor he chose as an adult and the czar he chose has NOTHING to do with what type of ideology he agrees with, does it?
    Not anything like as much as the CAPITALIST policies He has been employing since taking office.

You do realise that the term 'Csar' was the title of Russia's pre revolutionary Emperors and represents the antithesis of Marxism?,

One of the most infamous crimes of the Red Army was the killing of the last Russian Csar and His family.

But dont worry about these facts, just keep 'flogging that dead horse' in the hope of capturing the 'Intellectually Challenged' vote.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree