1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 14:03
    Originally posted by yo its me
    I didn't know Germany had that, they still had the mark the last time I visited.
    So, if it was exchangable into a national currency do you think it would work? Though then we would still have the national debt woldn't we- but then maybe it's not possiable for the queen to silmply go bancrupt becasue that's a law that proberly isn't upheald where ever we owe all this money to.
    The UK also has local currencies, like the Lewes pound.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 14:05
    Originally posted by Palynka
    And the Battersea Dog Pound.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 14:05
    Having currencies at a local level not "exchangeable into national currency" is a sure way of destroying small cities. When the cities isn't doing so well, the value of its currency falls, more people leave, less will the currency be worth (and along with it people's wages), etc.

If small countries are already more prone to have currency crises, then imag ...[text shortened]... ng a major currency. For example, Germany has a lot of local currencies along with the Euro.
    I think local currencies are an excellent way to revitalize local economies, although they are exchangeable in national currency. There are many communities across the US and elsewhere that are experimenting with just that. The 'Berkshares' and 'Ithaca Hours' are two of the more prominent examples of these.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 15:131 edit
    maddness I tell you maddness! one step at a time whodey.[/b]
    Yes, this about sums up the progresseive movement. One step at a time towards madness.
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 15:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes, this about sums up the progresseive movement. One step at a time towards madness.
    Yes we can!
  6. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 16:23
    [i]A Green national government will not only reject the proposal for a single centralised European currency, but will assist in the creation of regional, city and local currencies for the purposes of encouraging regional, city and local economic development, by:

1.Giving authorisation to local and regional governments to create their own banks and thei ...[text shortened]... he barrer the value of the note- or something like that.

I'd love to read your opnions....
    Does this mean that all internet based businesses around the world would need to be aware of current exchange rates for every little city before anyone can make a purchase? Nightmare! In fact, is the Green Party opposed to the internet? Presumably so. Its ok, we can spend our lives toiling in the muddy fields with our bare hands like the good old days. What fun!
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 17:28
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    Does this mean that all internet based businesses around the world would need to be aware of current exchange rates for every little city before anyone can make a purchase? Nightmare! In fact, is the Green Party opposed to the internet? Presumably so. Its ok, we can spend our lives toiling in the muddy fields with our bare hands like the good old days. What fun!
    Nothing wrong with a bit of mud. International businesses already have to exchange money, now Green Peace would even be creating more jobs, someone who logs the exchange rate of all these extra curencies 😉
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 17:301 edit
    I live near Lewis, never heard of this Lewis pound, will have to investigate!

I have heard of LETs, which is quiet sucsessful. A way of exchanging work for things without money. It's had bad press because no one is paying tax during the exchange.

edit; everything's on the internet!! http://www.thelewespound.org/how.html
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 18:461 edit
    A Green national government will not only reject the proposal for a single centralised European currency, but will assist in the creation of regional, city and local currencies for the purposes of encouraging regional, city and local economic development, by:

1.Giving authorisation to local and regional governments to create their own banks and thei ...[text shortened]... barrer the value of the note- or something like that.

I'd love to read your opnions....
    They tried having different currencies in different regions of the same country under the Articles of Confederation before the US Constitution was passed.

Didn't work out too well.

There's got to be a better way to help the environment than intentionally hampering trade and inter-regional business.
  10. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 18:47
    Originally posted by sh76
    They tried having different currencies in different regions of the same country under the Articles of Confederation before the US Constitution was passed.

Didn't work out too well.

There's got to be a better way to help the environment than intentionally hampering trade and inter-regional business.
    Did the reasons why it didn't work out still apply now?
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 18:522 edits
    Did the reasons why it didn't work out still apply now?
    I would think they apply even more so today given the ease of long distance business.

Then again, currency conversions can be done fairly easily too.

The greatest effects different currencies would probably have would be:

1) Development of a new cottage industry of online currency exchangers.

2) Greatly expand the ability of people to quickly make money by taking advantage of currency exchange rate arbitrage.

I'm sure the Greens want desperately to encourage both. 😕
  12. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 19:00
    I would think they apply even more so today given the ease of long distance business.

Then again, currency conversions can be done fairly easily too.

The greatest effects different currencies would probably have would be:

1) Development of a new cottage industry of online currency exchangers.

2) Greatly expand the ability of people to quickly make m ...[text shortened]... currency exchange rate arbitrage.

I'm sure the Greens want desperately to encourage both. 😕
    You don't think it would encourage local businesses?
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 19:57
    You don't think it would encourage local businesses?
    Perhaps; but it would also decrease the viability of local businesses by cutting down on their options to expand their business models.

Or it might have very little effect on businesses except for adding the costs of currency exchange to the operating budgets.
  14. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 20:49
    Perhaps; but it would also decrease the viability of local businesses by cutting down on their options to expand their business models.

Or it might have very little effect on businesses except for adding the costs of currency exchange to the operating budgets.
    I don't know what it's like in NY but here it's very much chains of shops dominatig the market in the UK, anyone wanting to start a business is faced with the problem that the bigger stores can bulk buy at a cheaper rate and they sell it cheaper. The big companies report huge profits the smaller companies go out of business. I think keeping things tighter in the regions could change this for the better, that's what I was thinking.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 23:57
    I don't know what it's like in NY but here it's very much chains of shops dominatig the market in the UK, anyone wanting to start a business is faced with the problem that the bigger stores can bulk buy at a cheaper rate and they sell it cheaper. The big companies report huge profits the smaller companies go out of business. I think keeping things tighter in the regions could change this for the better, that's what I was thinking.
    Yes, the Walmart effect exists in the US too. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree