1. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 15:43
    I wonder how the 14000000 people who starved to death last year felt about the number of uninsured people in the US. I'm sure they were very outraged.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 15:51
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I wonder how the 14000000 people who starved to death last year felt about the number of uninsured people in the US. I'm sure they were very outraged.
    Yes.

You might even argue it killed them.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 15:52
    Why use people starving to death in countries beset by poverty as a benchmark for evaluating what goes on in U.S. society? Why not measure yourself against countries with comparable wealth and income?
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 15:541 edit
    I don't know why those lazy bastards don't get their bootstraps on and get a job instead of sitting around and starving to death.
  5. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 16:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why use people starving to death in countries beset by poverty as a benchmark for evaluating what goes on in U.S. society? Why not measure yourself against countries with comparable wealth and income?
    I'm not measuring US society against them, that would indeed be a stupid comparison. Anyone arguing that health insurance is a problem in the face of 14000000 people dying of starvation is showing a serious lack of compassion. Let's get together and find a way to make sure children don't starve to death before we worry about whether someone in this country can get health insurance.
  6. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 16:10
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I don't know why those lazy bastards don't get their bootstraps on and get a job instead of sitting around and starving to death.
    I've been wondering the same thing. They must need more government stimulus.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 16:18
    I'm not measuring US society against them, that would indeed be a stupid comparison.
    Why are you mentioning people starving to death in countries beset by poverty at all when looking at U.S. society? If it's not a "comparison", then what is the purpose of the juxtaposition?
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 16:18
    I've been wondering the same thing. They must need more government stimulus.
    It's definitely Obamacare's fault. I hear that the death panels in obamacare have ruled that people should starve to death.

If only we had Romneycare... then we'd be all saved from starvation!
  9. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 16:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why are you mentioning people starving to death in countries beset by poverty at all when looking at U.S. society? If it's not a "comparison", then what is the purpose of the juxtaposition?
    A typical argument for implementation of Obamacare is one of compassion. That we could ignore the starvation of millions around the world doesn't speak of our compassion.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 16:26
    A typical argument for implementation of Obamacare is one of compassion. That we could ignore the starvation of millions around the world doesn't speak of our compassion.
    Why use people starving to death in countries beset by poverty as a benchmark for evaluating what goes on in U.S. society?
  11. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 16:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why use people starving to death in countries beset by poverty as a benchmark for evaluating what goes on in U.S. society?
    You don't think reaction to news that 14000000 people starved to death last year could be used as a benchmark by which to judge compassion?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 17:04
    You don't think reaction to news that 14000000 people starved to death last year could be used as a benchmark by which to judge compassion?
    I don't think it has anything to do with the number of uninsured people in the U.S. Isn't that what your OP was getting at? You asked a facetious question about how a million or more people who starved to death last year felt about Obamacare. Can we perhaps use this contrived OP as a benchmark by which to judge the sincerity of your compassion?
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 18:18
    What rather than say, an argument against healthcare reform in the US?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 18:52
    Let's get together and find a way to make sure children don't starve to death before we worry about whether someone in this country can get health insurance.
    Surely anyone with an ounce of compassion is trying to do both? (of course quite a lot of you selfish Americans are doing nothing or actively working against both goals).
  15. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 19:16
    14000000 people starved to death last year, why aren't we hearing about that on the news? That should have been the op. Please forgive the health insurance thing, FMF is right totally separate topic. With the new baby I'm not getting much sleep lately.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree