He's punch-drunk

He's punch-drunk

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
28 Sep 18
5 edits

Originally posted by @no1marauder
Ford recollected being pushed into a bedroom by Kavanaugh and Judge, them locking the door, turning music up so others couldn't hear what was going on, Kavanaugh pushing her on to a bed, trying to remove her clothes, putting his hand over her mouth to stifle her from screaming and then Judge drunkenly falling on the bed knocking Kavanaugh off and allow ...[text shortened]... scape.

That might just be "being frisky" to you but it sure sounds like attempted rape to me.
Where is the judge then?

If true, I would think he would be the star witness. Funny how that is ALL she remembers.

But alas, it's all about Kav proving his innocence, something you can only dream of as a lawyer..

Gives you wet dreams, doesn't it.

The reason that in a court of law you have to prove guilt and not innocence is a matter of fairness, something you and the entire DNC cares nothing about.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 18

Originally posted by @sh76
they brought her in to question Ford because of the optics. I don't know why she started with Kavanaugh, but that part never made any sense.

But please don't talk about the Republicans grandstanding today; the Dems did the lion's share of the grandstanding.
Kavanaugh is the one who did most of the grandstanding and in a shocking, unprofessional manner for a judge.

w

Moves
28 Sep 18

Kavanaugh is the one who did most of the grandstanding and in a shocking, unprofessional manner for a judge.
If I were him and my wife and daughter had been dragged through the Swamp and treated like this, I would not be nearly as restrained.

I would be mad as hell.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 18

Originally posted by @whodey
Where is the judge then?

If true, I would think he would be the star witness.

But alas, it's all about Kav proving his innocence, something you can only dream of as a lawyer..

Gives you wet dreams, doesn't it.

The reason that in a court of law you have to prove guilt and not innocence is a matter of fairness, something you and the entire DNC cares nothing about.
Have you followed this story at all?

Ford's lawyers and the Democrats wanted Judge subpoenaed to testify but Grassley and the Republicans refused to do so.

w

Moves
28 Sep 18
2 edits

Have you followed this story at all?

Ford's lawyers and the Democrats wanted Judge subpoenaed to testify but Grassley and the Republicans refused to do so.
I see, so Grassley is hiding in a dark room somewhere hoping he does not get subpoenaed. He came to her defense once but not a second time?

Got it.

It's all just about delaying till the mid terms and you damn well know it.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 18

If I were him and my wife and daughter had been dragged through the Swamp and treated like this, I would not be nearly as restrained.

I would be mad as hell.
You couldn't be expected to judge a hot dog eating contest.

Kavanaugh is a federal judge who wants to be on the highest court of the land. For him to act in the way he did is disqualifying IMO.

w

Moves
28 Sep 18

You couldn't be expected to judge a hot dog eating contest.

Kavanaugh is a federal judge who wants to be on the highest court of the land. For him to act in the way he did is disqualifying IMO.
Let me guess, but you have no problem with men like Keith Ellison sitting in judgment over Kav.

Why won't they release the names of Congressmen who sexually assaulted women and then to cover it up used tax payer money to keep them silent?

Hmm?

Do they really care about women? Hell no. Dims just care about power.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 18
1 edit

I see, so Grassley is hiding in a dark room somewhere hoping he does not get subpoenaed. He came to her defense once but not a second time?

Got it.

It's all just about delaying till the mid terms and you damn well know it.
WTF are you talking about? Grassley is chairman of the Judiciary Committee and the one who issues subpoenas.

Judge didn't "rescue" her according to her account; he was an accomplice not a hero.

The Republicans have plenty of time to pluck another name from the Federalist Society's list and confirm them before January.

w

Moves
28 Sep 18

WTF are you talking about? Grassley is chairman of the Judiciary Committee and the one who issues subpoenas.

Judge didn't "rescue" her according to her account; he was an accomplice not a hero.

The Republicans have plenty of time to pluck another name from the Federalist Society's list and confirm them before January.
I see, so subpoena a man who tried to rape her and tell the truth?

Sounds good to me. That should delay the proceedings a good month or so.

They only would need another month to delay things. What should they accuse him of next? Russian collusion?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
28 Sep 18

As usual, this is against my better judgment, but I can’t help myself.

“At best they all got drunk and the 17 year old got frisky.”

Getting “frisky” without consent is sexual assault, and Dr. Ford’s account of screaming for help makes it pretty unambiguous that she did not give consent.

“The whole proceedings are a disgrace from top to bottom.”

I disagree. As someone in a medical field, personally I think privacy and autonomy are extraordinarily important values to uphold. I would imagine the same is true in the legal field, too.

However, more importantly, the manner in which the committee correctly or incorrectly shared information should not have bearing on how senators weigh the credibility and seriousness of Dr. Ford’s allegations. Arguing that a perceived unfair process justifies voting for his confirmation, without acknowledging or grappling with the substance itself, is plainly cowardly.

“They all were drunk, which is why Ford can't remember virtually anything.”

To the best of my knowledge in following the development of this story over the past months, she has never testified to having been drunk. In fact, she has testified to having had a single beer.

I doubt that you care much, but she also gave a very calm, collected explanation of how memory works, as also well-described by neuroscientists and psychologists and physicians everywhere. A simple Google search of “memory and trauma” would be a great start.

“Ok, find someone who has never gotten drunk to sit for SCOTUS.”

Cynicism comes easily to you, but of course, you know that this is not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is finding someone who has not committed a sexual assault to sit for SCOTUS.

“So for the sake of argument, if he was trying to rape her, what stopped him?”

Take 20 minutes of your time and watch her opening testimony. She answered your question.

“Kav restrained himself while drunk with the sex drive of a 17 year old by not raping her.”

Jesus, listen to yourself. Are you really giving him credit for not raping her? Are you really saying we should all be proud of him for “only” groping her without consent, and shoving his hand in her mouth?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
28 Sep 18

Whodey, I don't know you or your personal situation. But if you had a daughter, or sister, or aunt, or cousin, who told you she had been sexually assaulted, how would you respond? Sincere question.

Would your response change if she admitted to having had a beer in the immediate time frame leading up to the assault? Would it change if she admitted to having had two beers? Is there a designated number of beers beyond which your response would change?

w

Moves
28 Sep 18

Originally posted by @wittywonka
Whodey, I don't know you or your personal situation. But if you had a daughter, or sister, or aunt, or cousin, who told you she had been sexually assaulted, how would you respond? Sincere question.

Would your response change if she admitted to having had a beer in the immediate time frame leading up to the assault? Would it change if she admitted to h ...[text shortened]... ng had two beers? Is there a designated number of beers beyond which your response would change?
I would probably believe them unless I had a reason not to.

For example, if they did not tell me about a rape for some 30 years and beforehand protests a man who appointed the supposed rapist and became a radical to stop everything Trump tool, I might have my doubts.

w

Moves
28 Sep 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @wittywonka
As usual, this is against my better judgment, but I can’t help myself.

“At best they all got drunk and the 17 year old got frisky.”

Getting “frisky” without consent is sexual assault, and Dr. Ford’s account of screaming for help makes it pretty unambiguous that she did not give consent.

“The whole proceedings are a disgrace from top to bottom.” ...[text shortened]... d all be proud of him for “only” groping her without consent, and shoving his hand in her mouth?
So being in the medical field, how many drunks actually remember what they did when they were drunk?

Hmm?

I just assumed she was drunk because she can't remember anything other than the supposed sexual insult.

And it must be nice. Don't give any details and no one can prove you wrong.

w

Moves
28 Sep 18
1 edit

Someone should ask Joe Biden today if they should launch an FBI investigation into all this.

In fact, what about an FBI investigation into Trump?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
28 Sep 18
2 edits

I would probably believe them unless I had a reason not to.

For example, if they did not tell me about a rape for some 30 years and beforehand protests a man who appointed the supposed rapist and became a radical to stop everything Trump tool, I might have my doubts.
For once--please, just once--don't change the subject. Politics gave the backdrop for my question, but my question is not about politics. It's not about Trump. It's not about Republicans. It's not about the Supreme Court. It's not about Democrats. It's not about radicalism. It's not about Congress. It's not about the judiciary committee. It's not about Keith Ellison. It's not about the DNC. It's not about Russia. It's not about Hillary Clinton.

If your female relative--sister, daughter, cousin, aunt, whoever--came to you, and said she had been sexually assaulted (doesn't have to be rape) many years ago by two men, and she had been too scared and ashamed to tell anyone about it until now, would you believe her? How would you respond? Would your response change if she had been drinking? How much would she have had to have been drinking before your response changed?

In fact, you don't have to answer. Just think on it. Imagine what your response might be, either positive or negative. Imagine how she might feel. Imagine how she might respond if you didn't believe her because she didn't disclose it before. Imagine how she might respond if you blamed her because she had been drinking. Imagine how she might respond if you told her you believed her. Imagine how she might respond if you told her that you were sorry for the pain and trauma she had to carry with her for many years.