1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 04:05
    Originally posted by @whodey
    If I were him and my wife and daughter had been dragged through the Swamp and treated like this, I would not be nearly as restrained.

I would be mad as hell.
    Mad as hell. Yeah !!

How dare we let a few allegations get in the way of America's path to righteousness !!
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 04:053 edits
    Originally posted by @wittywonka
    For once--please, just once--don't change the subject. Politics gave the backdrop for my question, but my question is not about politics. It's not about Trump. It's not about Republicans. It's not about the Supreme Court. It's not about Democrats. It's not about radicalism. It's not about Congress. It's not about the judiciary committee. It's not about K ...[text shortened]... u told her that you were sorry for the pain and trauma she had to carry with her for many years.
    Again, it depends on the person in question.

If I had a history of that person that was not favorable, I may not believe them.

But the real issue is under aged drinking. 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted at US colleges around the country, and as we all know, as a culture the US celebrates drinking and partying at these institutions as "harmless" and a right of passage. But instead of being harmless, they are actually promoting an activity that opens the door to sexual violence against women around the country. That is what society celebrates as harmless

As I have said, the sexual urges of men is much higher than for women, then add to that fact they may be drunk and immature, and what you wind up with is what we have today.

Now instead of the Metoo movement focusing on this issue, which would help stop future abuse, they focus only on people like Kav who is not even on trial, nor ever will be. How does this help women?

As I've said before, the Metoo movement was only created as a political tool, and not to help women.
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 04:12
    So being in the medical field, how many drunks actually remember what they did when they were drunk?

Hmm?

I just assumed she was drunk because she can't remember anything other than the supposed sexual insult.

And it must be nice. Don't give any details and no one can prove you wrong.
    Think back to your childhood. What was the scariest memory you have from that time? Do you remember the who, what, where, when, and why of that moment?

Now, what about your childhood, exactly two weeks before that scariest memory? Do you remember the who, what, where, when, and why of that moment?

With some oversimplifications, of course, that's how memory works. Your brain locks on to the details that you think matter and lets go of the ones that you think don't matter.

I have no idea if Dr. Ford has been diagnosed with PTSD, but her testimony seems to suggest that. And among those with trauma, forgetting key details is not uncommon.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/index.shtml

"PTSD is a disorder that develops in some people who have experienced a shocking, scary, or dangerous event. ... Cognition and mood symptoms include: Trouble remembering key features of the traumatic event."
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Sep '18 04:23
    Again, it depends on the person in question.

If I had a history of that person that was not favorable, I may not believe them.

But the real issue is under aged drinking. 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted at US colleges around the country, and as we all know, as a culture the US celebrates drinking and partying at these institutions as "harmless" and ...[text shortened]... 've said before, the Metoo movement was only created as a political tool, and not to help women.
    My point in asking you was to try to encourage you to reflect on the fact that disclosing a past abuse is probably excruciatingly difficult. And also to, perhaps, try to encourage you to reflect on how you might want to consider treating accounts given by others (doing to others) as you would want to treat accounts given by people you care about (doing unto you).

As it so happens, I believe that it makes sense to have interventions, on college campuses and elsewhere, to explain how drinking alcohol, using drugs, being in unsafe/unfamiliar environments, etc., can increase the risk of a sexual assault. But that is very different from arguing that those factors somehow lessen the culpability of a potential perpetrator of sexual assault.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree