1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Mar '18 01:242 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Then answer my question; why hasn't Trump fired Mueller? If he can get away with anything according to you, why wait? He desperately wants the investigation ended and sweeping away Rosenstein, Mueller and the rest would be the best chance of doing so.

So again; why doesn't he do it?
    Come on, man. You, better than most of us, know it's more complicated than that. Trump can't outright fire Mueller. He first needs to fire Mueller's boss, then replace him with a stooge that will do the firing for him. But even in the remote chance that Trump is able to pull that off, I think Trump will still come out fairly unscathed, just as he's been doing seemly every week, dodging bullets and career-enders since he first became a politician.

Also, he already tried doing that with Comey, only to have Mueller replace him. Someone else would replace Mueller. Firing Mueller will not end the investigation, as Trump found out with Comey.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '18 02:30
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Come on, man. You, better than most of us, know it's more complicated than that. Trump can't outright fire Mueller. He first needs to fire Mueller's boss, then replace him with a stooge that will do the firing for him. But even in the remote chance that Trump is able to pull that off, I think Trump will still come out fairly unscathed, just as he's been ...[text shortened]... replace Mueller. Firing Mueller will not end the investigation, as Trump found out with Comey.
    No, whoever he put in Rosenstein's place could fire Mueller AND end the investigation:

Mueller, as a special counsel rather than an independent counsel, has only the authority granted any United States attorney. He remains subject to the chain of command of the Justice Department. In ordinary circumstances, he would answer to the attorney general. Because Jeff Sessions has recused himself from this matter, Mueller answers to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

• As special counsel, Mueller is subject to the “rules, regulations, procedures, practices and policies of the Department of Justice.” And while the regulations accord him an unusual degree of autonomy, his superior, here Rosenstein, can overrule him if he proposes doing something contrary to DOJ policy.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/how-robert-mueller-can-ensure-congress-sees-any-case-against-donald-trump.html

AND:

Rosenstein could reel in the investigation by finding one of more of its strategies or techniques “so inappropriate or unwarranted under established departmental practices that it should not be pursued.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Would firing Mueller end the Russia investigation?
    Not necessarily. The investigation predated Mueller’s appointment as special counsel and already has some prosecutions underway. If Mueller were to be dismissed, much would depend on his successor — who would, presumably, be appointed by Rosenstein.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/27/if-donald-trump-fires-robert-mueller/

Except in the most likely scenario, Trump would fire Rosenstein first, then replace him with a stooge, tell that stooge to fire Mueller and not name a replacement but to end the investigation because it is “so inappropriate or unwarranted under established departmental practices that it should not be pursued.” He could then just pardon anybody already charged including the Russians.

Now, if he can get away with anything according to you, why doesn't he do this? He has the legal power to do so.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Mar '18 03:101 edit
    No, whoever he put in Rosenstein's place could fire Mueller AND end the investigation:

Mueller, as a special counsel rather than an independent counsel, has only the authority granted any United States attorney. He remains subject to the chain of command of the Justice Department. In ordinary circumstances, he would answer to the attorney general. Be ...[text shortened]... et away with anything according to you, why doesn't he do this? He has the legal power to do so.
    Maybe Trump hasn't found the appropriate stooge yet. Maybe it's because of the 2018 election that's been looming. Who knows.

But you can't argue that Trump hasn't been unsinkable. He seemingly says and does spectacularly abhorrent and inhumanly stupid things at a rate that seems like once ever other day. Yet, he still keeps on ticking, cranking out new scandals and feats of idiocy, until we've forgotten what he did the month before.

I'm not saying it's impossible that Trump could possibly cross the line with Republicans by having Mueller fired. I'm just saying Trump proved time and time again that there almost is no line, as far as his base and Republicans are concerned.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 Mar '18 14:19
    How will it end?
    In republican tears and my cum splattered over the TV set.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Mar '18 15:00
    I think it's highly likely major figures in the administration get indicted.

I think it fairly likely Trump gets impeached or resigns in disgrace (well, even more disgrace).

I don't think Republicans in Washington are as willing to fall on their sword to save Trump as some think. He wants badly to fire Mueller as the ultimate act of obstruction o ...[text shortened]... rity ratings will plummet even further and enough Republicans will turn on him to force him out.
    I can live with that. 🙂
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '18 15:03
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I agree that this will be consistently dragged out.

It's siege warfare. It distracts the current administration and it gives the Democratic base what they want.

We may be entering a new age of permanent lawfare if the GOP grows a pair and knows what is best for themselves.
    And when the Dims get their stooge in there the GOP will be harping about impeachment as well.

It's the new status quo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree