1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:011 edit
    The exact words from a client of mine.

He's making $12/hr. His employer would raise him to $20, but the increase in salary would be more than offset by a loss in programs eligibility.

He didn't tell this to me, but reading between the lines, his employer probably slips him a few bucks under the table.

This idea of basing government programs solely on income tests need a re-thinking.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:041 edit
    Tax unused by the owner physical wealth, not income.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:05
    Agreed. Education and health care should be single-payer, and other than income the government should leave the rest to the market. That way it's never possible to earn less because of earning more.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:08
    Originally posted by sh76

He's making $12/hr. His employer would raise him to $20, but the increase in salary would be more than offset by a loss in programs eligibility.

He didn't tell this to me, but reading between the lines, his employer probably slips him a few bucks under the table.

This idea of basing government programs solely on income tests need a re-thinking.
    Its possible the guy miscalculated, but maybe receiving cash and still taking government benefits is a better deal than lots of people think.
  5. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 18:11

You can base it on income test, but it needs to be gone more intelligently. Set an income level for full benefits, for every dollar over that limit, a person would lose x cents from his benefits. This way an increase in pay won't be completely offset by the loss in benefits.
  6. Joined
    01 Sep '10
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 18:51

An estimated 2 million persons living on 'benefits' in the UK are fit to work but choose not to since they are better off on the scrounge.
    This deplorable situation is the legacy of the NuLabour reign (1997-2010) together with the import of 3 million aliens from assorted, but mainly undesirable, sources.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 20:51

I agree. I actually think that we might save money if someone was allowed to stay on welfare benefits for about 6 months after he or she finds a job.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 22:07
    Originally posted by retiarius
    An estimated 2 million persons living on 'benefits' in the UK are fit to work but choose not to since they are better off on the scrounge.
    This deplorable situation is the legacy of the NuLabour reign (1997-2010) together with the import of 3 million aliens from assorted, but mainly undesirable, sources.
    put the sun and daily star down, there's a good puppy.
  9. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 22:49
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I agree. I actually think that we might save money if someone was allowed to stay on welfare benefits for about 6 months after he or she finds a job.
    We need to make sure they are better off taking a job than they are staying on welfare. A lump-sum payment obviously does that, but it seems like an awfully expensive way to go about doing that. Besides, what guarantee is there that someone doesn't get a job and then quits 6 months later after the double payment runs out ? If the problem is that staying unemployed is financially more attractive than working you have to tackle that problem permanently which you don't by giving them a bonus for signing a contract.
  10. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 01:28
    Originally posted by Barts
    We need to make sure they are better off taking a job than they are staying on welfare. A lump-sum payment obviously does that, but it seems like an awfully expensive way to go about doing that. Besides, what guarantee is there that someone doesn't get a job and then quits 6 months later after the double payment runs out ? If the problem is that staying unempl ...[text shortened]... tackle that problem permanently which you don't by giving them a bonus for signing a contract.
    I'm sure we could come up with working rules, but the point is, I bet even with the occasional abuses it would actually lead to net savings for the program. Right now the recipients have to make tough economic decisions between staying on the rolls and taking work. People are willing to take more chances if they can save up for a few months to develop a cushion.
  11. Joined
    01 Sep '10
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 02:20
    Originally posted by trev33
    put the sun and daily star down, there's a good puppy.
    One has only to read your profile statement to see what sort of clown you are.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 02:31
    If you can show how many of those "3 million aliens" went straight on to the dole after migrating, then you may have a point that needs to be addressed.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 02:53
    One has only to read your profile statement to see what sort of clown you are.
    and what sort of a clown would that be? i'll tell you one thing, i'd rather be a clown than be a brainwashed puppet.
  14. Joined
    01 Sep '10
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 08:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 08:56
    And yet Norway, with much more generous benefits, has almost zero unemployment. Perhaps you need to look somewhere else for an explanation for the problem of unemployment, gangs and chavs. Perhaps at someone named Thatcher.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree