1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 04:56
    Originally posted by retiarius
    On 'benefits'?
    yes, in fact that's how i've funded various trips around the world in the past 4 years... solely from benefits from the good old uk tax payer. thanks for that.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 20:07
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The prospect of hunger and lack of shelter was always motivation enough for me.
    Unless you are willing to see the poor begging on the street without public assistance, what you've said is totally useless. Unless you are willing to see kids, adults and the elderly starving to death in the US, what you say is totally useless.

You've got to come up with something that makes the best of a bad situation.
  3. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 02:14
    Originally posted by sh76
    The exact words from a client of mine.

He's making $12/hr. His employer would raise him to $20, but the increase in salary would be more than offset by a loss in programs eligibility.

He didn't tell this to me, but reading between the lines, his employer probably slips him a few bucks under the table.

This idea of basing government programs solely on income tests need a re-thinking.
    I can totally understand his situation. I'm sitting on something just like that with my Long term Disability plan.....
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 02:51
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Unless you are willing to see the poor begging on the street without public assistance, what you've said is totally useless. Unless you are willing to see kids, adults and the elderly starving to death in the US, what you say is totally useless.

You've got to come up with something that makes the best of a bad situation.
    Are you saying that parents will just carelessly decide not to feed their kids? Well perhaps there are some of that ilk.

During much of my working life I worked as many as three jobs, sometimes in excess of 90 hours a week. I fed my kids, never begged, and never took a government check.

I think a great many people would do the same, probably the majority, if it weren't so easy to get assistance.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 05:26
    Originally posted by sh76
    The exact words from a client of mine.

He's making $12/hr. His employer would raise him to $20, but the increase in salary would be more than offset by a loss in programs eligibility.

He didn't tell this to me, but reading between the lines, his employer probably slips him a few bucks under the table.

This idea of basing government programs solely on income tests need a re-thinking.
    Well, when you're earning 12$ an hour, an incrase of nearly 50% can have disasterous effects on subsidies. When you're earning 300$ an hour, a 50% increase just means you have to be creative with your taxes.
  6. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 09:45
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Are you saying that parents will just carelessly decide not to feed their kids? Well perhaps there are some of that ilk.

During much of my working life I worked as many as three jobs, sometimes in excess of 90 hours a week. I fed my kids, never begged, and never took a government check.

I think a great many people would do the same, probably the majority, if it weren't so easy to get assistance.
    You seem to be under the impression that anyone who wants a job can get one. In an era when Western governments have abandoned the goal of full employment, this is not true.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 10:05
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    You seem to be under the impression that anyone who wants a job can get one. In an era when Western governments have abandoned the goal of full employment, this is not true.
    You seem to be under the impression that someone owes someone else a job, they don't. It's not the role of guvamint to make some individuals employ other individuals.
  8. Joined
    01 Sep '10
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 10:49
    There are many opportunities for 'self-emplpoyment' in the UK, but why bother to work when you can so easily sign on for generous rewards for doing nothing?
    The Eastern European immigrants to the UK seem to have no difficulty in finding employment.
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 10:50
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    You seem to be under the impression that someone owes someone else a job, they don't. It's not the role of guvamint to make some individuals employ other individuals.
    Governments can pursue economic policies which encourage, or discourage, employment. This is not the same as "making some individuals employ others".
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 11:31
    Governments can pursue economic policies which encourage, or discourage, employment. This is not the same as "making some individuals employ others".
    Wajoma has long since been reduced to attacking his own facile caricatures of what other people are talking about. He reckons he "kicks butt" with this approach. I am unconvinced myself.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 11:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Wajoma has long since been reduced to attacking his own facile caricatures of what other people are talking about. He reckons he "kicks butt" with this approach. I am unconvinced myself.
    Looks like FMF is still 'smarting'.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 11:571 edit
    Looks like FMF is still 'smarting'.
    Nope. Just my penny's worth on a poster who used to be a more thoughtful and more compelling contributor than he is nowadays.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 12:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nope. Just my penny's worth on a poster who used to be a more thoughtful and more compelling contributor than he is nowadays.
    Busy innit. Prorities, as such.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 12:04
    Busy innit. Prorities, as such.
    I'm pleased for you.
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 13:03
    Originally posted by retiarius
    There are many opportunities for 'self-emplpoyment' in the UK, but why bother to work when you can so easily sign on for generous rewards for doing nothing?
    The Eastern European immigrants to the UK seem to have no difficulty in finding employment.
    yes because everyone has the business sense to become self-employed.

most eastern europeans who come over have a job lined up already, mostly in the hospitably or factory industries. jobs that british seem to think they're above doing, not to mention the general consensus that people from eastern europe have a much higher work ethic that british people, it's not hard to see why so many employers look at eastern europe for a hard working reliable work force, they just can't find it in the uk.

the uk economy would totally collapse if the eastern european work force was force to go home.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree