Infedelity and politics

Infedelity and politics

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
31 Mar 16

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/are-we-getting-the-leaders-1397064998158390.html

Here is an article about one Gary Hart. For those who don't know, he once ran for President and was taken down by the press for a sex scandal. He then later blamed the press for "hunting him down" like that and warned of a much more hostile political atmosphere that would develop because of it. Upon reflection, some are now taking his warnings to "heart". It's not like in the political glory days when JFK could have sex with any woman who walked into the Oval Office and the press would cover for him.

So is this a good thing or bad thing?

Recently, Glenn Beck said that he would withdraw all support from Ted Cruz if it could be proved that he was unfaithful to his wife.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
31 Mar 16

Originally posted by whodey
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/are-we-getting-the-leaders-1397064998158390.html

Here is an article about one Gary Hart. For those who don't know, he once ran for President and was taken down by the press for a sex scandal. He then later blamed the press for "hunting him down" like that and warned of a much more hostile political atmosphere that would de ...[text shortened]... uld withdraw all support from Ted Cruz if it could be proved that he was unfaithful to his wife.
I have trouble accepting that a person's fidelity to their spouse is not an indication that they can't be trusted. Of course fidelity in all areas is important so once identified as a liar, how do we continue to support people in politics because they say things that we like to hear? That applies to both sides of the isle.

rain

Moves
31 Mar 16
2 edits

The press covering up for anyone would be bad, regardless of the issue.

The question is, how much should we care about a politician's married life? It depends. If we're talking about someone running for office who is frequently talking about God and traditional marriage, then it matters, because it's an issue of hypocrisy, if infidelity was involved. There's also the question of whether the affair in question was simply a matter of momentary human weakness. If it's someone like Elliot Spitzer, who cheated on his wife with a prostitute, that matters for several reasons; one being that prostitution is illegal in New York and he was giving money to a prostitution ring, and another is how he went about it, which was laundering money in order to do so.

I think that unless someone is running on a moral platform (God, traditional marriage, etc.) then their married life generally shouldn't matter.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
31 Mar 16

Originally posted by vivify
The press covering up for anyone would be bad, regardless of the issue.

The question is, how much should we care about a politician's married life? It depends. If we're talking about someone running for office who is frequently talking about God and traditional marriage, then it matters, because it's an issue of hypocrisy. IThere's also the question o ...[text shortened]... l platform (God, traditional marriage, etc.) then their married life generally shouldn't matter.
It seems that this explanation exonerates anyone who doesn't profess any morals from immorality? To me that doesn't wash. Someones moral beliefs or lack of them is important to consider when that one is running for office that has any bearing on national laws. All laws have some relation to morality, in one way or another.

That in no way indicates I am in favor of a theocracy, but by the same token, I really don't care where a politician gets his moral code from, as long as he has one.

rain

Moves
31 Mar 16

Originally posted by normbenign
It seems that this explanation exonerates anyone who doesn't profess any morals from immorality? To me that doesn't wash. Someones moral beliefs or lack of them is important to consider when that one is running for office that has any bearing on national laws. All laws have some relation to morality, in one way or another.

That in no way indicates I ...[text shortened]... e token, I really don't care where a politician gets his moral code from, as long as he has one.
My post was specifically in regard to a politician's married life. There are some standards of moral everyone should live up to, whether they profess them or not. It's just that some moral issues such as fidelity may not always be something significant enough to question whether a politician should be in office or not.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
31 Mar 16

My post was specifically in regard to a politician's married life. There are some standards of moral everyone should live up to, whether they profess them or not. It's just that some moral issues such as fidelity may not always be something significant enough to question whether a politician should be in office or not.
I find it hard to believe that someone who is unfaithful to their spouse, can be trusted by others less closely related. If he or she would cheat on their most close associate, why would they be more faithful to voters?

rain

Moves
31 Mar 16
1 edit

I find it hard to believe that someone who is unfaithful to their spouse, can be trusted by others less closely related. If he or she would cheat on their most close associate, why would they be more faithful to voters?
Do you think a person's married life should be considered for other occupations? For example, should a talented journalist not be considered if he was unfaithful? What about a talented athlete? Or artist, or computer technician? What about a marketing director? Should a board not consider making someone president of a company based on infidelity?

Likewise, marital issues don't always mean they'll be significant for an elected position.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
31 Mar 16

Do you think a person's married life should be considered for other occupations? For example, should a talented journalist not be considered if he was unfaithful? What about a talented athlete? Or artist, or computer technician? What about a marketing director? Should a board not consider making someone president of a company based on infidelity?

Likewise, marital issues don't always mean they'll be significant for an elected position.
I think it depends on the profession, and to what extent trust is required. I am not going to trust a journalist who is a liar. Athletes, I don't care. Some others, trust is more requisite than for others.

rain

Moves
31 Mar 16

I think it depends on the profession, and to what extent trust is required. I am not going to trust a journalist who is a liar. Athletes, I don't care. Some others, trust is more requisite than for others.
An affair doesn't necessarily mean one is a liar. A person can have an affair and confess to it.

w

Moves
31 Mar 16

I really don't care where a politician gets his moral code from, as long as he has one.[/b]
Wait......wut?

Where you get your moral code is where we get our morals. We all have them, whether they be deemed "amoral" or not.

w

Moves
31 Mar 16

I am taken back to such men as Thomas Jefferson who had a slave baby and Ben Franklin who was a known womanizer.

Are these men still not revered despite their infidelities?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
31 Mar 16

Being able to lie is the hallmark of a good politician.

Infidelity should be on every presidential candidate's cv.

D

Moves
31 Mar 16

D

Moves
31 Mar 16

w

Moves
01 Apr 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
What about someone like John Edwards who cheated on his wife dying of cancer, and then tried to destroy those who might blow the whistle on him?