is America any less taxed than under the British?

is America any less taxed than under the British?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
04 Jul 09

dear friends, today Americans are celebrating, independence day, a sorry day at that, for if it were not for those miscreant Bostonians complaining about a little taxation, who knows what may have transpired. The British of course had spent a fortune, safeguarding the colony, but no, it was not to be recouped in the form of a little mild taxation, thus independence was sought, but i ask you friends, are the Americans any less taxed now than they had been under the benevolent arm of the British, i beg to differ! Come back to us oh America, if you can forget about us torching the whitehouse, we can forget about your little tiff!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
04 Jul 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
dear friends, today Americans are celebrating, independence day, a sorry day at that, for if it were not for those miscreant Bostonians complaining about a little taxation, who knows what may have transpired. The British of course had spent a fortune, safeguarding the colony, but no, it was not to be recouped in the form of a little mild taxation, t ...[text shortened]... erica, if you can forget about us torching the whitehouse, we can forget about your little tiff!
The level of taxation is not relevant. The problem was that they had taxation without representation. Now, this being a representative democracy, they have representation.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jul 09

dear friends, today Americans are celebrating, independence day, a sorry day at that, for if it were not for those miscreant Bostonians complaining about a little taxation, who knows what may have transpired. The British of course had spent a fortune, safeguarding the colony, but no, it was not to be recouped in the form of a little mild taxation, t ...[text shortened]... erica, if you can forget about us torching the whitehouse, we can forget about your little tiff!
You do realize that tax rates in the UK are presently higher than the US, don't you?

rc

Moves
04 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by rwingett
The level of taxation is not relevant. The problem was that they had taxation without representation. Now, this being a representative democracy, they have representation.
answer the question my friend, are you any less taxed now than under the benevolent arm of the British government.

rc

Moves
04 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
You do realize that tax rates in the UK are presently higher than the US, don't you?
on a personal level?, corporate level?, please qualify the statement and we shall see!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jul 09

answer the question my friend, are you any less taxed now than under the benevolent arm of the British government.
Yes. And there is no "benevolent" arm of the British government.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jul 09

on a personal level?, corporate level?, please qualify the statement and we shall see!
Personal, yes.

Corporate, I don't know.

rc

Moves
04 Jul 09
1 edit

Yes. And there is no "benevolent" arm of the British government.
Lol, what about the generous welfare system, is that not benevolent, those who cannot meet the minimum criteria which the government states a person needs to live upon are given the deficit in cash, child care is also paid for, etc etc etc.

rc

Moves
04 Jul 09

Personal, yes.

Corporate, I don't know.
ok let us compare, shall we, I am a self employed person, i can earn up to 6,000 pounds without taxation, after which i must pay 10 pence in the pound, up until i earn 35,000 pounds, all i need to pay, legally on top of that is 2 pounds per week national insurance contributions, are you taxed less than that, don't you have state taxation, federal taxation, personal taxation etc tec tec?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jul 09
1 edit

ok let us compare, shall we, I am a self employed person, i can earn up to 6,000 pounds without taxation, after which i must pay 10 pence in the pound, up until i earn 35,000 pounds, all i need to pay, legally on top of that is 2 pounds per week national insurance contributions, are you taxed less than that, don't you have state taxation, federal taxation, personal taxation etc tec tec?
I'm not wasting my time talking about what YOUR tax incidence is. Personal tax rates in the US are lower than the UK - do some Googling - I'm tired of doing research for others on this site. Overall tax incidence is apparently about the same though my understanding is that the UK system is more regressive.

EDIT:UK - Total taxation as a proportion of national income jumped by a full percentage point to 37.4 during 2006, the Organisation of Economic Development said.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/tax/article.html?in_article_id=425422&in_page_id=11

g

Pepperland

Moves
04 Jul 09

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_around_the_world

rc

Moves
04 Jul 09
1 edit

it matters not if you are unwilling to debate it, you are not better off than if you had remained under the benevolent arm of the British government, Mr Grumpy wumpy!

K

Germany

Moves
04 Jul 09

Lol, what about the generous welfare system, is that not benevolent, those who cannot meet the minimum criteria which the government states a person needs to live upon are given the deficit in cash, child care is also paid for, etc etc etc.
Since when does the UK have a "generous" welfare system?

jb

Moves
04 Jul 09
1 edit

We paid you back by saving your butts in ww1 and ww2. Plus that I think we are pretty much under the same deal anyway. Canada is for sure.

rc

Moves
04 Jul 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Since when does the UK have a "generous" welfare system?
are you a resident of the U.K, if so, you can have your housing paid for you through hosing benefit, you can have child care paid for you, there is all sort of benefits, working tax credit, family tax credit if you are in employment, and you are eligible, you can receive free medical care, including dentistry and optical treatment.