1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes we would take you back in an instant! infact it would be as if you had never left! never mind old number one, hes just grumpy cause he knows that without the British there would be no independence day! 😉
    I just think that instead of trying to mimic every little thing you do, we might as well save some time and just have you impliment it directly.

Privatly, however, I am hoping that the UK takes us back so we can have another revolution. 😛
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 23:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Actually income inequality is above the EU average.
    Not for long. 😉
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 01:141 edit
    saving our asses, we paid you big time for troops and weapons, its not like you gave us them for free, and what is more you got to keep all the good Nazi scientists after WWII, did you not?
    Money can be replaced. How about the human toll? I'm sure we also got all the Nazi Eugenics freaks too. I do believe that Merry ole England and the United States will always be a little more than Allies though. I'm all for it. I wouldn't be bitter about the revolution if I were you. Be glad someone said enough is enough and took action. You might want to live here someday. I lived in England for 2 years, and was glad to get back. I was younger then and realized I had waisted my time there. I found out about a lot of historical things I could have seen and visited more places. I think it speaks highly of a people unwilling to throw away a house just because it is 400 or so years old. Jolly good mate, enjoyed the chat.
  4. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 01:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    what is untrue? The US national debt is out of control compared to the UK. What is the possible end game do you suppose? Must we not now or very soon raise taxes just to be able to survive as a nation? Also, the UK has cap and trade as well as universal health care and the US wants to have those as well.
    The US national debt is out of control due to the last three Republican presidents, particularly Reagan.

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

The policies that have caused the US's national debt problem are neoconservative military spending and cutting taxes for the rich and corporations.
  5. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 01:29
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The level of taxation is not relevant. The problem was that they had taxation without representation. Now, this being a representative democracy, they have representation.
    Precisely. Thomas Paine was an economic liberal, too.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 04:261 edit
    Originally posted by karnachz
    The US national debt is out of control due to the last three Republican presidents, particularly Reagan.

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

The policies that have caused the US's national debt problem are neoconservative military spending and cutting taxes for the rich and corporations.
    Due to the last Republican presidents? Have you ever heard of Obama? He has by far surpassed them all and he has not even been in office for a year as of yet!! Why not get your partisan head out of the sand? So you want to scold the Republican Presidents only for what Obama is doing as well? In fact, he is by far the best at it.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 07:48
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Money can be replaced. How about the human toll? I'm sure we also got all the Nazi Eugenics freaks too. I do believe that Merry ole England and the United States will always be a little more than Allies though. I'm all for it. I wouldn't be bitter about the revolution if I were you. Be glad someone said enough is enough and took action. You might want to ...[text shortened]... throw away a house just because it is 400 or so years old. Jolly good mate, enjoyed the chat.
    not only the eugenics freaks but also the aeronautical ones which contributed to the space program as well.

However it has been pointed out to me in a private message that the taxation issue was merely a kind of catalyst for a reaction against all sorts of ill treatment on the part of the British government. Had they governed the colony without arrogance and with some respect for human dignity, who knows what may have transpired.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 10:12
    Not for long. 😉
    What do you mean?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 10:16
    Yes we have representation. We elect them and then they all do pretty much the same thing. They find ways to raise taxes and spend like a drunken sailor. That way we can smile and say the whole process is democratic. 😀
    This is something that strikes me as rather odd: you live in a country with one of the lowest tax rates of industrialized countries, yet you seem to have a pathological obsession with taxes. How come?
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 12:05
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    This is something that strikes me as rather odd: you live in a country with one of the lowest tax rates of industrialized countries, yet you seem to have a pathological obsession with taxes. How come?
    The land of the free also just happened to turn out the worst plague of selfish, self interested sob's you could ever hope to encounter on this God's fair earth, who never learned that 1+1=2. Put another way if you spend a certain amount on programs that everyone simply has to have ( guns, bombs, war machines and space exploration) and you don't raise the required amount of money by levying the appropriate amount in taxes, then guess what YOU GO INTO DEBT!.

Somehow though, American's have suspended their disbelief on this one, and insist on voting in people who claim they can do the impossible. Be fiscally responsible, yet still spend big on Imperial might, and somehow manage to not send the country spiralling into further levels of debt.
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 16:48
    not only the eugenics freaks but also the aeronautical ones which contributed to the space program as well.

However it has been pointed out to me in a private message that the taxation issue was merely a kind of catalyst for a reaction against all sorts of ill treatment on the part of the British government. Had they governed the colony without arrogance and with some respect for human dignity, who knows what may have transpired.
    I would say you are right about taxation being a catalyst. The conditions the army fought under is an indication. Even a lot of higher brass fought for little to no pay. Food was scarce. It was a gruelling task. If it were just a little overtaxation, it would have been hard to get an army together. I don't think we really got much out of the German scientists that the Britts dont already have. If the English put their minds to any task, they will be highly successfull. I have no doubt that if the UK wished to have a space program or build the best of anything, they will no doubt be able to do it. German engineering is far over rated in my opinion. They just were in that state of mind to build hellacious weapons.
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 16:50
    answer the question my friend, are you any less taxed now than under the benevolent arm of the British government.
    LOL Hell no!! We're taxed to hell!! 🙂 I did not ask the government to take my money either so no representation there. Seriously I understand we need some taxes to support infrastructure and all but right now we've proven that our current government can't budget themselves out of a wet paper bag. Less taxation I say 😉

Manny
  13. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 19:38
    Originally posted by menace71
    LOL Hell no!! We're taxed to hell!! 🙂 I did not ask the government to take my money either so no representation there. Seriously I understand we need some taxes to support infrastructure and all but right now we've proven that our current government can't budget themselves out of a wet paper bag. Less taxation I say 😉

Manny
    So what expenses should be cut in order to further lower taxes?
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 19:52
    We paid you back by saving your butts in ww1 and ww2. Plus that I think we are pretty much under the same deal anyway. Canada is for sure.
    Saving our butts in ww1 ? Your having a laugh ?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 21:11
    I would say you are right about taxation being a catalyst. The conditions the army fought under is an indication. Even a lot of higher brass fought for little to no pay. Food was scarce. It was a gruelling task. If it were just a little overtaxation, it would have been hard to get an army together. I don't think we really got much out of the German scient ...[text shortened]... far over rated in my opinion. They just were in that state of mind to build hellacious weapons.
    i dunno Joe, German engineering has always been superior in my opinion, were they not the first to introduce intercontinental ballistic missiles, jet propelled aircraft, the panzer tanks etc etc while the British were wondering what was happening! if the war had been prolonged or if it were not for the ineptitude of the Nazi hierarchy, who knows what would have happened!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree