1. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 18:47
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    We paid you back by saving your butts in ww1 and ww2. Plus that I think we are pretty much under the same deal anyway. Canada is for sure.
    saving our asses, we paid you big time for troops and weapons, its not like you gave us them for free, and what is more you got to keep all the good Nazi scientists after WWII, did you not?
  2. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 18:56
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    We paid you back by saving your butts in ww1 and ww2. Plus that I think we are pretty much under the same deal anyway. Canada is for sure.
    If you'd really been concerned to save our butts you'd have joined in in 1914 and 1939, rather than two and three years later respectively. You joined both wars when US interests were directly threatened, not because you were looking out for the interests of your allies.

I'm glad that the US was put in a situation where it felt obliged to join the war, and grateful for the contribution made by US soldiers and US industry. But I don't think we could have won World War II without Russian help, either.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 19:06
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The level of taxation is not relevant. The problem was that they had taxation without representation. Now, this being a representative democracy, they have representation.
    allegedly dear Ming, allegedly!
  4. Germany
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 19:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    are you a resident of the U.K, if so, you can have your housing paid for you through hosing benefit, you can have child care paid for you, there is all sort of benefits, working tax credit, family tax credit if you are in employment, and you are eligible, you can receive free medical care, including dentistry and optical treatment.
    Actually income inequality is above the EU average.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 19:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Actually income inequality is above the EU average.
    yes this is true i do not doubt, in my own city it is almost self evident.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 19:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    dear friends, today Americans are celebrating, independence day, a sorry day at that, for if it were not for those miscreant Bostonians complaining about a little taxation, who knows what may have transpired. The British of course had spent a fortune, safeguarding the colony, but no, it was not to be recouped in the form of a little mild taxation, t ...[text shortened]... erica, if you can forget about us torching the whitehouse, we can forget about your little tiff!
    "Benevolent" ?! You are being sarcastic I trust?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 20:59
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The level of taxation is not relevant. The problem was that they had taxation without representation. Now, this being a representative democracy, they have representation.
    Yes we have representation. We elect them and then they all do pretty much the same thing. They find ways to raise taxes and spend like a drunken sailor. That way we can smile and say the whole process is democratic. 😀
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:011 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You do realize that tax rates in the UK are presently higher than the US, don't you?
    Of course the taxes are not as high. To get in office in the US, politicians have to promise that they did not raise personal income taxes, otherwise, they don't get elected. However, indirect taxes like cap and trade abound. As raising taxes, they are just waiting unitl the national debt crushes us to the point that if we don't raise taxes we lose our country. More or less, it won't matter whether we want them or not nor will it matter who is our representative.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    Of course the taxes are not as high. To get in office politicians have to show that they did not raise personal income taxes, otherwise, they don't get elected. However, indirect taxes like cap and trade abound. As raising taxes, they are just waiting unitl the national debt crushes us to the point that if we don't raise taxes we lose our country. More or ...[text shortened]... ss, it won't matter whether we want them or not nor will it matter who is our representative.
    BROKEN RECORD ALERT!!
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:02
    BROKEN RECORD ALERT!!
    Is that all you have to say?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:041 edit
    Speaking of cap and trade, robbie my old friend, the US wants DESPERATLY to be like England in this regard. Also they salivate at the prospect of the universal health care system you kids have as well. Yep, no doubt about it, the US lusts to be one with you kids once again. Why we ever left is beyond me. Would you consider taking us back? :'(
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:05
    Is that all you have to say?
    What more is there to say? Your underhanded tossing in of repeated untruths as well as your constant bleating about the same thing in every thread is tiresome.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:05
    Speaking of cap and trade, robbie my old friend, the US wants DESPERATLY to be like England in this regard. Also they salivate at the prospect of the universal health care system you kids have as well. Yep, no doubt about it, the US lusts to be one with you kids once again. Why we ever left is beyond me. Would you consider taking us back? :'(
    See what I mean?😴🙄
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:111 edit
    What more is there to say? Your underhanded tossing in of repeated untruths as well as your constant bleating about the same thing in every thread is tiresome.
    what is untrue? The US national debt is out of control compared to the UK. What is the possible end game do you suppose? Must we not now or very soon raise taxes just to be able to survive as a nation? Also, the UK has cap and trade as well as universal health care and the US wants to have those as well.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 21:13
    Yes we would take you back in an instant! infact it would be as if you had never left! never mind old number one, hes just grumpy cause he knows that without the British there would be no independence day! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree