is America any less taxed than under the British?

is America any less taxed than under the British?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
06 Jul 09

Originally posted by utherpendragon
its not perceiving their hands our in my pockets its reality.when you see your check getting smaller and smaller for the same amount of work(income tax,state and federal)and your buying power less from inflation and sales tax you begin to feel the crunch.when they tax they keep on taxing for this and that.it never ends.I agree money does not buy happi ...[text shortened]... hicle to help my family and others as I see fit. I worked for the money am i not entitled to it?
I think when your a working stiff such as myself than you see it and feel it the most. I agree I bust my @$$ at my job & see almost 1/3 of my check go to taxes it would be nice to get more is all. I agree however that freedom is more than just whether I'm taxed or not. I'm ok with some taxes I understand it is a necessary evil. If I want nice roads to drive on and all of the other things that help civilization roll along. However when the government mis-uses mis-spends or whatever it makes not want to pay taxes.

Manny

Hy-Brasil

Moves
06 Jul 09

Originally posted by menace71
I think when your a working stiff such as myself than you see it and feel it the most. I agree I bust my @$$ at my job & see almost 1/3 of my check go to taxes it would be nice to get more is all. I agree however that freedom is more than just whether I'm taxed or not. I'm ok with some taxes I understand it is a necessary evil. If I want nice roads to drive ...[text shortened]... hen the government mis-uses mis-spends or whatever it makes not want to pay taxes.

Manny
I could not agree more!

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
06 Jul 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Welfare in the US is minimal, and to cut it further would make crime rates explode, costing the taxpayer more than the meager benefits. Employment rate correlates negatively with tax rates; countries with higher taxes tend to have a higher proportion of people working. This suggests that the percentage of people on benefits who are too lazy to work b ...[text shortened]... ause of benefits is either low or negligible.

How do you suggest government waste be cut?
Man your making me think ๐Ÿ˜‰ Example my brother works for the state of California. He was telling me how people take advantage of the perks they get. Like trips to certain cities paid for by California. Problem is they could drive to a certain city but instead they fly to a different city then drive back to said city. Also gas paid for by California so they can drive these vehicles. These vehicles being used for personal business not official business. It's the mentality of living off the state that is bothersome is all. When we pay taxes and the money is being mis-used.

Manny

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
06 Jul 09

Education is not available to the poor in the US. Public schools in poor neighbourhoods are usually worthless, and therefore getting into university is extremely difficult.
Most community colleges are open admission, allowing anyone to get in. Graduation from a community college allows one to segue into that state's public 4 year schools virtually automatically.

k

Moves
06 Jul 09

Originally posted by sh76
Really, now?

In what statistic is that assertion based?
Amount of increase in national debt as a proportion of GDP. I've already posted the graph earlier in this thread.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
06 Jul 09

Most community colleges are open admission, allowing anyone to get in. Graduation from a community college allows one to segue into that state's public 4 year schools virtually automatically.
<== high school dropout working on his M.A.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
06 Jul 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
<== high school dropout working on his M.A.
I rest my case. ๐Ÿ™‚

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
06 Jul 09
2 edits

Originally posted by karnachz
Amount of increase in national debt as a proportion of GDP. I've already posted the graph earlier in this thread.
But Obama's only had the job for 6 months. How can you compare the over-all increase in national debt in 6 months to what others do in 8 years?

Apples and oranges.

jb

Moves
06 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
At what point would you bellyache? Would you complain if they took 70% of your income? How about 90% of your income? How about 100% of your income? Would you simply work for food?

The amount of money you make is proportional to the amount of freedom you have and the amount of power you have. For example, if you had enough money perhaps you would not f ...[text shortened]... ly challenge someone who is wealthy, (cough OJ), (cough Michael Jackson), (cough Richard Nixon).
Do you see a decline in middle class america? Income taxes and the like are bad enough, but when it is killing small business then it is too much. Of course many of the armchair experts here, especially the foreign ones are quick to blame the business instead of the taxes. Fact of the matter is that the government is way too big as it is. Government is vital, but it was only intended to serve a limited purpose. A lot of people here feel the same way, and they know that over taxation is a side effect of big government. Don't be surprised if the average Joe won't be able to buy a car, boat, motorcycle etc.. in the near future. We will ride bikes to work if busses are not available in areas. We will have tv tax like the Britts. There will be tax on cow farts as well. It is not bellyaching to oppose this stupid progression. It is good to get the info out as Whodey had done and get people thinking about what is going on around them. There is a huge waste of money by the US government and it is time for people to realize the tail shouldn't wag the dog.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jul 09

Yes, and I have access to top universities with next to no funding from my parents. See the difference?

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by menace71
Man your making me think ๐Ÿ˜‰ Example my brother works for the state of California. He was telling me how people take advantage of the perks they get. Like trips to certain cities paid for by California. Problem is they could drive to a certain city but instead they fly to a different city then drive back to said city. Also gas paid for by California so they ...[text shortened]... state that is bothersome is all. When we pay taxes and the money is being mis-used.

Manny
Yes, some of the money you pay as taxes is misused. Some of the money you pay to coporations is misused as well. Wagoner, former CEO of GM, walked away with 50 million USD even though his leadership was a huge failure.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by joe beyser
Knock em down whodey, knock em down!!
Did you know the GDP per capita is currently higher than the US in the following European countries: Luxembourg, Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, Ireland, Iceland, Sweden, Netherlands, Finland, Austria and Belgium?

jb

Moves
07 Jul 09

Did you know the GDP per capita is currently higher than the US in the following European countries: Luxembourg, Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, Ireland, Iceland, Sweden, Netherlands, Finland, Austria and Belgium?
It is very sad. They shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas to make a buck. They also brought in foreigners to do other jobs cheaper to make a quick buck.

F

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by joe beyser
It is very sad. They shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas to make a buck. They also brought in foreigners to do other jobs cheaper to make a quick buck.
Ah yes, so it's a Johnny Foreigner issue, then.

jb

Moves
07 Jul 09

Originally posted by FMF
Ah yes, so it's a Johnny Foreigner issue, then.
Actually no it isn't FMF. It is the corporatism you dislike that I was refering to. I don't blame foreigners at all on this. Now remember, I do not blame foreigners on the US economy and loss of manufacturing industry in this country. That is what I am clarifying to you and I stand by this statement๐Ÿ™‚